Movies youve watched with you're father

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by FanofAceVentura, Jul 25, 2014.

1. FanofAceVentura

FanofAceVentura Well-Known Member

My dad and I watched predator together when i was 6 years old sadly he passed in 2007 but in 2010 a great squeal to predator came out called predators which I know if he where here he would love it like terminator salvation we also watched the terminator series together and then there was Rambo 4 we didnt see that series together but I knew he loved the original one (he was a Vietnam vet.) but it leads me to a question what is a movie series you've watched with you're father?

2. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

My Pop and I watched many....but some of the most important would be, Goldfinger the night it opened....man that one changed my life....I quit playing with toys and started playing with chicks, ha ha....and The Godfather; probably my Pops all time fav. I also remember Andy Griffith in No Time For Sargents. My Dad laughed so hard people starting laughing at us I think....ha,ha...In Dads final years I gave him "Mouse Hunt" and that became his favorite funny movie...Ohhh yeah....he took me to see Old Yeller...Whew, talk about a crying flick, chick flicks have nothing on "Old Yeller".....Forget about a box of Kleenex, I cried for like 20 years after that one...;)

3. FanofAceVentura

I rember mouse trap i got that for a present i rember me and him watching it

4. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

Stand By Me.

Full Metal Jacket.

Porky's.

Walking Tall. The ones with Joe Don Baker and Bo Svenson.

Silverado.

The Bridges at Toko-Ri.

Gunsmoke.

FanofAceVentura likes this.
  5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I remember watching a couple programs with my father as a kid. The World At War, Black Sheep Squadron, and Mash. This was back when TV went off the air for a couple hours each night.

[​IMG]

6. FanofAceVentura

from like 9:00 or 10:00 pm to 5:00 am

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The Ten Commandments, annually (ABC, I think)
    It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, annually (NBC, I think)
    Wizard of Oz, annually (CBS, I think)
    The old Universal monster flicks whenever they were on
    War of the Worlds (1953) whenever it was on
    Tora! Tora! Tora!, Midway and other later blockbuster WWII epics
    Any disaster movie by Irwin Allen
    James Bond movies
    The older (1950s and before) uncut Warner Bros. cartoons, full o' wacky violence as they should be.

Unlike most, we never bothered watching Disney in my house. Just didn't appeal to us. Still doesn't appeal to me atall.

I don't have a boy so the films I would watch with a son (Trinity and Beyond, World at War, etc) probably won't be watched with the girls. However, I've put a boxed set of old Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom on my wife's wish list at Amazon. I liked it, the girls will probably love it. It'll beat me having to watch Care Bears or whatever.

Bobcat and PanChango like this.
  8. FanofAceVentura

LOL hey raise them girls to be universal with content so what if she gets along with the boys better the girls are drama queens ;)

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

They're 6 and 4 and my wife, who was never in her life anything close to a drama queen, says both of them already are, esp. the younger one. I dislike girl drama. Intensely. So you may have a good idea there.

10. FanofAceVentura

haha thats great! keep up the good work

11. Timelord

Timelord I get 12 times the shaves out my blades!

Tora Tora Tora and Kelly's Heroes were 2 that my dad really liked and we would watch whenever they showed up on The Friday Night Movie. This was back in the day when it would be followed by Credence Clearwater Revival or someone live on The Midnight Special with Wolfman Jack. Those were the days!

12. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Interesting thread. All of these were at the theater.

Bridge on the River Kwai
    The Great Escape
    The Dirty Dozen
    Where Eagles Dare
    The Godfather

FanofAceVentura likes this.
  13. FanofAceVentura

I saw the 2005 king kong movie with my dad in theaters i was so scared i was in his lap

14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

My father and mother divorced when I was six years old, so us five kids and my mom lived about an hour's drive from him. We saw my dad once a week on Sundays.
    Some of the most memorable films I watched as boy were with my dad—often when I'd stay with him and we'd head out to the El Rey theatre to watch a double feature.

Here's some of my fondest memories:

• "Ben Hur" (1969 theatrical re-relaease)— probably one of my all-time favorites; over four hours long; epic film; my 9-year old butt was numb for sitting so long, but I loved that I could share watching it with my dad
    • "2001- A Space Odyssey" (1968) I remember this film vividly; as an eight-year old, it made little or no sense to me, but the fact I could watch it with just my dad made the event special.
    • "The Sting" (1974) Driving north from Los Angeles after a Disneyland weekend with my dad; spent the night in Bakersfield and saw the film later that evening. Great trip. Great film.
    • "Planet of the Apes" (1968) My first in a series of 'Ape' movies; both my dad & I enjoyed this film; I was in 1st grade.
    • "True Grit" (1969) My dad loves John Wayne, so both he and I enjoyed watching this with my older sister.
    • "Open Range" (2003) I took my dad to see this on a trip we took up to Reno (we attended the annual "Basque Cultural Festival"). He loves westerns and this one was a dandy. Probably the last film he and I have seen together. He turns 87 this December.

15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Some are better than others, or maybe just different, but how's your dad about Clint's westerns?

16. DeathFromADesk

DeathFromADesk New Member

I stayed home sick from school one day at the ripe old age of 8. Dad stayed with me and while mom was at work we watched my first "scary" movie "Alien".

We also enjoyed watching Mel Brooks comedies and war movies like "Tora Tora Tora" and "The Big Red 1"

Bobcat likes this.
  17. Ramaniac

Ramaniac Member

Back in the early, early 1970's dad got me out of bed one night and we watched "The Blue Max". It is a WWI fighter pilot story that I did not fully understand until I was older.

Bobcat likes this.
  18. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Jaws, The Cheyenne Social Club and Mr. Majestyk are just a few I specifically remember seeing with my dad.

19. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

My family drove to Charlotte, 70 miles away from our small town of Rockingham in North Carolina to see "The Longest Day". My father was a paratrooper in World War II and had parachuted behind the enemy lines on D Day. He was also in North Africa, Italy and at the Battle of Bulge. My parents never went to the movies, except for that one.

Bobcat likes this.
  20. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

My Dad and I watched the "Pink Panther" together, Many times. We would watch movies during the baseball off season.

Adonis likes this.