The Haul: July 2014

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by Neolithium, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I've read about it. You lucky Guy!

2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Just got a small haul from WCS on the doorstep when I got home today :). Got a couple new shave sticks I've been eager to try. Wilkinson and Speick. Also some Speick after shave, Proraso pre-shave in green and white along with a tub of the white soap. An Omega 10049. Figured I really needed to try one of those. And some Gillette black blades since I've never tried them either. That should keep me busy for a little while.

3. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

A little find in the wild. A blue tip, a Schick adjustable injector, a she after fountain pen, a CULMAK brush, an Old Spice bottle, a cheap brush and bowl, and my first calculator. Gave the clerk a twenty and got a toonie back.
    uploadfromtaptalk1406750614470.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1406750624729.jpg

4. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Very nice hope you enjoy them.

GDCarrington likes this.
  5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Thanks! I have been!

6. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

7. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Very nice razor.

ChiefShaver likes this.
  8. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

How are the bibles different from a normal everyday king James type bible?( pardon my ignorance )

gorgo2 likes this.
  9. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I was curious about that as well and landed here:
    http://www.thompsonbibles.com/

gorgo2 likes this.
  10. Billy Goatee

Billy Goatee Well-Known Member

Before & After
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Good question. Answer: it isn't really any different. It is the King James. The man who put it together added no comments of his own with the text (as is common with today's study Bibles) but instead uses Scripture to interpret Scripture, grouped by topic or theme. I'll post an example below but here's how he explained it:

[​IMG]

Modern study Bibles packed with comments and notes can have their place, if one is discerning and has verified for himself the accuracy of whoever put it together...but nothing beats Scripture interpreting Scripture. This one is so simple and refreshing to use, especially as a devotional. Were I a pastor, I could see frequently using it for sermon preparation as well.

In a way, the Thompson does the same thing this one does - they're just put together differently. What I like best about this one over the Thompson is what he says above: the theme-linked verses are all right there at a glance. There's no need to chase them from one reference to the next like links in a chain, or to decipher the keys to using it. I have nothing against the Thompson, really; I just find this much simpler and more intuitive. Example, using the word "walk" in Romans 8:1:

[​IMG]

It's hard to see in this scan but "walk" is noted in the text with a small letter "a." All you then do is look to the reference section for "A" and you see other verses that deal with the word "walk" in the same sense as 8:1, or with the theme of walking in Christ, as Paul used it elsewhere. Then when you come to "b" you look to "B" (having to do with Law), and so on. It's that simple.

Mr. Johns didn't list every possible connection on a topic or theme - he couldn't, it'd take up way more room. So does it go into the great detail that the Thompson does? Not even close, but I find that it doesn't need to.

I hope this answers your questions, gentlemen! If anyone is interested in having one of these, someone put out a hardback version in the '70s (I think) that has the identical text, as far as I've been able to tell. They come up fairly commonly and for next to nothing at the E-place.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  12. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

Yesterday and today these items came in:

[​IMG]

Calani Bay Rum Shaving soap,Calani "Moroccan Apple" shampoo bar,Calani Bay Rum shower soap, The Strop Shoppe "Alpine Frost" shave soap and an Thermal Mud soap which should be very good to the skin. Teh Bay Rum scented soaps are smelling awesome. Not the typical Bay Rum scent...it´s a bit of Anise in it,which makes it so delicious.

Today i ordered my last items for a long time (i will take part in No Buy August):

1x Tcheon Fung Sing Anniversary "Italian Fern" shaving soap
    1x Tcheon Fung Sing "Neroli Mediterraneo" shaving soap
    1x Tcheon Fung Sing "Barba Blu->Sandelholz" shaving soap
    1x Tcheon Fung Sing "Barba Gialla->Lemon" shaving soap
    1x Tcheon Fung Sing "Tabacco Verde Forte" shaving soap

and

1x Noxzema Blue canned shaving foam (the only canned foam i let on my skin)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014