HELP!!! Double edged sword I deal with daily.

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Linc, Jul 26, 2014.

1. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

Try these threads:

Blades - http://theshaveden.com/forums/index...ition-on-blade-sampler-packs.2106/#post-35098. I highly recommend "From Russia with love" from Italian Barber

Razors - Olmelad gave you some great suggestions and look at this.
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/index...-should-I-get?-(Pic-Heavy).16364/#post-316775

Pre shave - proraso white pre/post cream

Soap - Proraso white

Brush - cheap and good one to start. I like Vulfix badger. You can pick one up for ~ $15

Hope that helps. I totally agree that this will be a trial and error process.

Linc likes this.
  2. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Den! It only gets better from here.

Linc likes this.
  3. Linc

Linc Member

Thanks Vedder! That's awesome advice. I appreciate it.

4. Linc

Linc Member

Thanks vwp528. I'm looking forward to it!

5. Linc

Linc Member

Can someone plz post here the link for the classifieds section? I can't seem to find it anywhere on here. Thanks!!!
    :whacky024:

6. ButchersHook

ButchersHook Member

I know that was not what you were looking for but he does have a point. As with choosing the right blade, everyone seems to react differently to different aspects of the wet shaving process. Start going through your blade sample pack to find which works best with your razor and your face. As part of your technique, try to use consistently light pressure while shaving. Just lay the head of the razor on your face and let it's own weight do the work and you just might be surprised at how comfortable your shave will be. For me, back in the Mach3 days, it was common for me mash the cartridge on my face with some pretty decent pressure but when I started using little to no pressure with the DE, I found much closer and more comfortable shaves. Regardless of what winds up working best for you, I just know that you are going to have a heck of a great time doing it!

7. ButchersHook

ButchersHook Member

On the main page, just scroll down to the red banner that says "The Mall" then click on Market Place. Once in there, you will see Classifieds, Freebies and Want to Buy. Classifieds is where you will find all of the Buy/Sell/Trade posts. Hope that helps.

8. Linc

Linc Member

Thank you! I've been looking everywhere!

9. Linc

Linc Member

UPDATE: I just recently purchased my first VINTAGE DE razor from eBay. It's a Gillete Flare Tip A-1. I got it for $8.50 + $3.00 shipping. So pretty good deal for $11.50. Some of you may or may not have seen my post on the DE Razor thread. It was kind of an impulse buy as I wasn't sure what I was getting at the moment. But I figured either way, it was cool. So here it is...
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
    178-bplatoon and Slow Joe like this.
  10. ButchersHook

ButchersHook Member

You know what? I would personally be very happy with that for $11.00. One of my first razors was a Super Speed in much the same condition. I cleaned it up and used Flitz metal polish and it looks pretty good. Mine, however, has a slightly wonky door that hangs up ever so slightly when closing. I can put a slight bit of pressure on it to allow it to close tightly and it holds the blade snugly. It's no longer in my rotation because is not quite as aggressive as I like my razors to be but I still keep it displayed. I think I paid $22.00 including the shipping at the time. Congratulations! Aside from a bit of cleaning, I think this is a fine choice for your first vintage.

11. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Great razor you have there.

12. DeathFromADesk

DeathFromADesk New Member

A little late to the party, but I'll throw my two cents in.

I used to get pretty bad razor burn on my neck as well, so I changed up my routine. Here's what I do right now, and I have been getting some of the best shaves I've ever had in twenty years of shaving experience.

1. Using hot water, I rinse my face and massage some of the water into my whiskers.
    2. I use a Neutrogena face bar and hot water to scrub my face.
    3. I take a towel, and use super hot water to wet it down and I put that on my face and neck for about 2 minutes.
    4. I lather up using my boar brush and shave soap and shave with my 59 super speed, which is the same razor you have just purchased (The years may be different)
    5. I then jump in the shower and bathe as normal. Washing my beard, mustache and hair with anti-dandruff shampoo.
    6. Finally, (and I believe this is the key to my lack of razor burn) I condition my beard, mustache, cheeks and neck with an argan oil hair conditioner and rinse with cool water.

Since I started using the methond above, I have had no razor burn, no weepers, no assorted craziness. Maybe you can try it out and see what happens. It may not work for you, but it is working for me.

13. Linc

Linc Member

WOW! Seems like a lot of @DeathFromADesk. Do you do this routine at night or in the morning? I work decently early, so IDK if I could do this much in the morning which is when I shave. Thanks for the advice tho, I'll definitely try it out on a weekend I don't work.

14. DeathFromADesk

DeathFromADesk New Member

I do it at night. I wouldn't have tome in the morning either.

15. Linc

Linc Member

Hahaha. Ok. I figured as much. I don't think I could shave at night tho as I would have irritation from what grew over night due to my collared shirts and ties. I will still try your method sometime though.

16. Linc

Linc Member

UPDATE: I have shaved twice with this razor now and I absolutely love it. I put up a shave of the day yesterday with the other shaving products I used. This whole experience of DE shaving has been amazing. Thanks everyone for all your advice and support.

17. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Nice score A1 is my birth year/month also. If you like the SuperSpeed, you may what to get a Diplomat/Aristocrat in the future, the're like a SuperSpeed with a BullDog handle..:)