Inexpensive Open Comb

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by droberts0503, Jul 21, 2014.

1. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Don't forget to come back and let us know what you went with and how it's working for you. I'm in the same boat as you. I would like to find a good condition NEW because I've seen very few negative reviews. The ones I have been tracking on the bay seem to be going for $30 - $40, so I was thinking about a Cadet or even a Fatip.

2. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

Since it appears that we are drifting into $30 range, I would highly recommend a Parker 24c/26c. This is a fantastic razor for the price. Excellent handle. It is a three piece. Parker suffers from its reputation of the past, but seem to have addressed their QA/QI issues. They knocked it out if the park (yes I did that intentionally with this one). I love mine. Mild and efficient shaver.

[​IMG]

DudeShaving likes this.
  3. droberts0503

droberts0503 Well-Known Member

I think I might go for the RazoRock jaws, but if the Parker can be had at a good price and free shipping from Amazon, I may go that route.

4. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

Now that I have used it, I think my Gillette New Long Comb is my new favorite OC. What can I say? lol

Chuck F likes this.
  5. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Gillette new handle long comb is still one of the best buys you can't beat it.

Adonis and Chuck F like this.
  6. droberts0503

Ended up going for the Parker 26c. When I figured in shipping from the Italian barber it was only a few dollars more. I'd rather spend money on a razor rather than shipping. Now I just have to let Amazon prime so its thing!

VedderLG likes this.
  7. VedderLG

Great choice! Enjoy!

8. droberts0503

Had my first shave with the 26c today. It looks nice and feels nice in the hand and although it gave me a good shave it was kind of uncomfortable. I used the shark blades that came with it and I've never used them before so I'll experiment with some others and see. I figure it will be good with the right blade.

9. VedderLG

The same thing happened to me. One thing that was very useful was a shallow blade angle. I put the top cap on my skin and slowly lower the handle until I just feel the blade start to cut. The shaving angle is much more shallow than my other razor. Of course, it may need a different blade for you, but I found that adjusting my angle made all the difference with this razor.