Witch Hazel before AS?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Razor Blade 79, Apr 20, 2014.

1. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

It's so nice to see that professional salesmanship and customer service are alive and well. :angry019:

2. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Interestingly enough, I had almost the same thing happen. I had to tell the kid that their website showed it in stock at that store, and we went hunting for it together. Found them on a bottom shelf in a back corner.

I'm guessing the witch hazel is not one of their big movers lol.

Boojum1 likes this.
  3. Razor Blade 79

Razor Blade 79 Well-Known Member

I'm just glad I have a local source, hopefully they keep it in stock. I may pick up a lavender bottle of thayers in a few months.

4. Razor Blade 79

Razor Blade 79 Well-Known Member

I was reading the ingredients in Thayer's, looks like this stuff could be used as a stand alone alcohol free AS.

Boojum1 likes this.
  5. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Yep, you said it. One of the first rules in retail marketing. Items that sell quickly and in big numbers are at eye level.

Rarely sold items and those with less markup are progressively shoved to the bottom of the display.

In the U.S.A. at least, I think us wet shavers are a relatively small group yet.
    Until we turn the corner and the sales of those carts and disposables really start to decline,
    we're just going to have to do most of our shopping on-line.

Boojum1 likes this.
  6. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Mike- Part of me wants it to stay small, and I will happily buy online.

If wet shaving hits a certain critical mass, your P&G's will start buying up the small artisan companies and ruining the products. It"ll be the shaving version of what happened to Burts Bees, Snapple, etc....

Boojum1 and 178-bplatoon like this.
  7. SDK

SDK it's his fault

It works great just by itself, and I think that is how most of us use it...

Boojum1 likes this.
  8. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Isn't Alcohol part of the distillation process. I have been under the impression the small amount of alcohol is a natural occurrence and a byproduct of the distillation process as well as a preservative.

I had a similar problem when I went to a GNC. If i were you I would do what has been stated, splash some on then use a balm.

johnus likes this.
  9. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

I use the Dickinson's Witch Hazel which is available in the local Rite Aid and Walgreens. It is about half the price of Thayer's. (I have also used the Thayer's and didn't find much difference between the two) The Dickinson's has the slightly funky odor when it is first poured out in the hand but it dissappears in a few seconds. I use it right after the shave and before the balm (lately, I have been using Triple Strenght Gold Bond Moisturizing Lotion as a shave balm which is locally available and much cheaper than the fancy balms (about half the cost of the Nivea Post Shave Balm) and works just as well.) It is great at moisturing the skin after the WH astringent has dried and closed the pours. I use the ASL or Cologne after the Balm as a finish.
    I wouldn't be concerned about the alchohol, there is a slight per cent (approx 14%) in the distillation process but it is so minimal you don't notice it at all. I have used in on nicks and some burn (earlier years developing the technique) and it doesn't burn. Alcholol based After Shave Lotions on the other hand....sting city! The WH is actually very soothing by comparison and as has been said, has antiseptic and healing qualities. If you still can't deal with the scent a few drops of oils or cologne will fix that. It has been a part of my shave routine for years.

10. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

i used WH until i found alum blocks i find a combo of both is nice alum block let it dry wash it off then apply WH let it dry the aftershave balm of choice.

11. KLF

KLF Doctorin

Following my barber advice, I apply WH and immediately follow with alum block when face still wet from WH. After a few minutes of cleaning the bath counter, I splash some AS.

Boojum1 likes this.
  12. SDK

SDK it's his fault

I also touch up with Alum.

Cold splash- Alum- Pat Dry- Witch Hazel AS du Jour is my normal routine....

Boojum1 likes this.
  13. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

T
    The Thayers Cucumber sounds interesting. I will have to stop in at my GNC. Thanks!

Boojum1 likes this.
  14. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I know this an old thread but does WH work best if it is applied before a cold water rinse or after?

Boojum1 likes this.
  15. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I always rinse before I apply my aftershave.

Spud likes this.
  16. markjnewcomb

I have always rinsed off alum and left on witch hazel.

Boojum1 and Spud like this.
  17. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I have been doing a cold water rinse followed by WH then AS balm. I thinking maybe WH would serve better if it was applied while pores are open, then a rinse then AS balm. But I like to leave the WH on.

Boojum1 likes this.
  18. markjnewcomb

I would think that it is best used before the pores "close" (they don't really open and close). The reason I think that is because the witch hazel, being an astringent, will close your pores. I keep hot water rinses up to the point of witch hazel, and then, for me, there are no more rinses.

Boojum1 and Spud like this.
  19. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Before I bought a safety razor a watched a lot of videos online by geofatboy. I guess that's why I have been doing a cold water rinse but perhaps there is no need for it sinse I'm using WH?

20. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting (and bumping) this thread; it answered questions I was contemplating, myself.

Spud likes this.