Loving the Proraso Blue

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by BadgerMan, Jul 29, 2014.

1. BadgerMan

BadgerMan Member

Just felt the need to post my new found love of Proraso Blue cream. I bought some after reading a number of favourable reviews from folks around TSD and my first two shaves with it have been wonderful. What do I like about it? Well here's a short list:
    1. The smell - some people had mentioned they get an aniseedy smell from Proraso Blue. I don't get that at all. What I do get I find difficult to describe but the best comparison I could come up with was that it smelt to me like an old fashioned barber's shop.
    2. The lather - it lathers up so easily with such a small amount and seems to have provided me with a really nice, protective coating. Initially I had some problems but I'm fairly sure I hadn't added enough water and had left my lather too dry because a little more water added when I lathered up for my next pass seemed to do the trick.
    3. The warmth - I also love the fact that the lather I get with the Proraso Blue stays warm. I have never had this in the past. Everything else I have tried has always cooled down really quickly, even if I warm my bowl ahead of time. When I applied my first layer of Proraso Blue it was a really welcome and unexpected sensation to find that the lather was nice and warm - like a relaxing bath for my face :)
    4. Better shave - ok, it's possible this isn't really to do with the lather but both times I have used the Proraso Blue have probably been the two best shaves I have had in the few months I've been using a DE razor. A large part of this is because of some technique adjustments I've made but I also like to think the cream has something to do with it as well.
    After stating all the wonderful things about Proraso Blue it is unfortunate that I have to end the post on a downer: it is possible it may give me pimples. I got one the day after shaving the first time with it and whilst it didn't initially grow to the huge size some have that have been caused by other soaps, today (the day after my second shave using it) the same pimple is bigger again, after looking like it was clearing up. I'm hoping like crazy that it's just coincidence at this stage because it would be really sad to discover a product that I enjoy so much and then not be able to use it - that just strikes me as fate being really mean :(

Slow Joe, crackstar, Omelmad and 5 others like this.
  2. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Sounds like a good cream, I wonder why they don't make it as a soap

3. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

The Blue cream is one of my favorite creams and one of the three creams in my den - the other two being Red and TOBS Avocado. I love the scent and performance (lather) of the Blue.:D