So the wife asked the question.

Discussion in 'Women's Shaving' started by Joseph Crabtree, Aug 3, 2014.

1. So yesterday the wife asked me if I would spend the time and show her how to shave with a DE. I am looking a a woman's Gillette for her already. I am not sure about brush or creams though. I have a wide range of blades to try also for her. She wants me to shave her first to explain everything to her as I go. Has anyone else done this or can give me advice?

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

No, I honestly can state that I have NOT shaved your wife— ;) however, I have instructed my wife on the proper use of a DE razor (a vintage Super Speed). Light pressure is essential as most women are accustomed to 'bearing down' with a cartridge, find a comfortable angle, and be generous with lather. Similar instructions and advice I'd tell any new wet-shaver. A few bleeders are to be expected until the proper 'touch' is found.

Boojum1, ObiDon, PLANofMAN and 5 others like this.
  3. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

I have shaved my wife's legs with her Parker 29L. It will give her a better idea of angle. Be careful around the ankles, be sure to go straight, do these and you'll be fine. Shave one leg and coach her through the other.

Boojum1 and GDCarrington like this.
  4. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I simply must stay out of this discussion.

5. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

:signs011:
    I'm not going there.

6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Joseph, your intent is admirable. There are some good DE's for women. Just to be clear, DE razors are really not gender-specific, but many women prefer longer handles & somewhat lighter weight. The Gillette star series (vintage) or Parker 29L (modern) are some good choices.

A variety of blades (which you seem to have) is a great idea. For brushes, my favorites are silvertip badgers. A good source is www.whippeddog.com. You can choose the handle & knot (the cluster of bristles) and Larry, who runs the site, will put it together for you. A good size for many women is 22mm.

I can't recommend a cream, as I don't use them. I like to use shaving soap. Prior to shaving, I apply a pre-shave oil, which is easy to make. (See the tutorial forum.)

My husband has never shaved my legs for me, so I will just echo the advice already given- go slowly and be careful around the ankles & knees.

PatrickA51, Boojum1, Adonis and 2 others like this.
  7. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Out of curiosity isnt it easier/faster with bigger brush?

PatrickA51 and GDCarrington like this.
  8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Not if it is too big for your hands. Women generally have smaller hands, so larger brushes can be uncomfortable to use.

PatrickA51, Boojum1 and GDCarrington like this.
  9. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Logical! =)

PatrickA51 and GDCarrington like this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

This would be ideal for the smallest of hands. My wife uses this Simpson Wee Scot as I often find it missing from my den….
    [​IMG]

11. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

She must have teensy hands!

PatrickA51 likes this.
  12. Thank you all so much. I purchased a Gillette blue for her and should arrive tomorrow. She has watched me shave before and is afraid of the angle and such. I ordered several different sample creams for her to try and see what she really likes. I know she is nervous about it all but wants to learn sense she sees little amount of money I have in everything. (Little does she know I have hundreds in everything now lol)

PatrickA51 likes this.
  13. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

I told my wife last night that I was going to keep my eye opened for a Lady Gillette (Star Series) so she could save a ton of money on blades. She uses a Sensor currently and I have to order them from Amazon. She stopped me immediately and said nope... she's shaved with a DE razor before (when she was young) and ends up cutting her legs to shreds. She said she had horror stories of her friends that have scars on their legs from DE razors.
    Instead of suggesting she take a light hand and use pre-shave oil and a good lather (instead of using a goop) I decided to leave her to her routine. I know which battles I can win. Not this one.

Perhaps one day I'll win her over with luxurious lather and work my way over to introducing her to proper shaving gradually.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

If she seems receptive to the idea, you could offer to shave her legs for her, to show her the advantages of it.

15. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

I might try that, Sara! Thanks for the suggestion.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  16. Jom

Jom Member

I've considered bringing up the idea of DE shaving to my GF, but i know she does not use any cream or soap (she shaves in the tub) should i be suggesting DE shaving and should i suggest creams/soaps?

PatrickA51 likes this.
  17. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

My wife wanted to get off the disposables so I gave her a long handled black slim adjustable and never could get it back. Then one day she says - shave my legs with your SR so I did. Next couple days she asked me to hone one up for her and she has been using A SR ever since and doing remarkable to boot. Since then I have had no comments about why I need so many razors and soaps etc. She actually encourages me to buy more

18. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Lucky you!

19. cubancigar2000

Yep, I thought she would get burnt out on it and revert back to a cartridge in the shower but she has figured out the value in a SR shave. I will be buying her shaving goodies for Christmas this year

Radiotube and PatrickA51 like this.
  20. cubancigar2000

Caution here! I did that also but shaving someone else is a lot different. You cant feel the blade and have to be very precise and careful. I did knick her slightly but she did not complain. She has now used the SR over 10 times without a cut

Radiotube likes this.