Scent-less deo

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by tuxxdk, May 10, 2014.

1. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Of course :) You are on a need to know basis - and you need to know :cool:

2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

(Thankful there's no scent plugin for the web.)

3. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I ordered a couple of the Primal Deodorants because I'm not well and I feel the world closing in on me. I'll let you know what I think.

4. tuxxdk

Better late than never. Today I shopped for the ingredients, at least some of them. All the US recipes I found had arrowroot and shea butter along the baking soda and coconut oil, but the danish ones had only coconut oil and baking soda in'em.

So I went the easy road with baking soda and coconut oil. It's a pretty thin solution, once mixed. I went for 2 parts oil and 1 part baking soda. All the recipes I found varied on the baking soda, some 1:1 other 0.5:1, like I went for. Ohh and I added some Vitamin E for preservation. I can understand the arrow root for warmer climates, as it gets thinner, the hotter it is. I might try some in another batch.

The smell is rather laid back once mixed. It's a grainy substance that's very easily applied. I've only just applied it now, so I don't know how well it'll work or if I perhaps have a reaction to the baking soda, as I've read is not uncommon.

Stay tuned :)

5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Interesting. Please let us know how well it works for you.

6. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Let us know how it works out for you.
    I never really cared for natural alum rock deodorants. Currently I'm using and like Arm and Hammer Essentials Unscented, which is baking soda based & pretty inexpensive here in the US.

7. tuxxdk

So far it works very well. It has solidified over the weekend so now it's a paste. I wont be needing arrowroot it seems.

As for performance it has worked great over the weekend. Now I'm back at work where the real test will be.

8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Glad to hear it. Please let us know how it works during the week.

9. tuxxdk

I works at least as well as pure alum under the pits, and better than my regular deodorant. I didn't put on something this morning so it was a day old applied deo that got the test today - no odor at the end of my shift!

Certified and approved from the ol' penguin ;)

Now I'm wondering if there's a scent-less oil I can substitute the coconut oil with?

10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Why don't you want to use the coconut oil?

11. tuxxdk

Because I smell like a coconut frosting... :) actually it's not that voluminous, the scent. But if I could go totally scent-less it would be awesome

12. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

For many years I have used Zincofax diaper rash cream once a week. Just a wee dap under each arm and away you go. Instead of masking the off gassing of the bacteria, which is what creates the smell, it changes the chemistry of the environment to keep their numbers low. It is effective and without heath risks. I am allergic to most commercial deodorants and an old doctor recommended it to me decades ago, I have never been left wanting anything better.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  13. richgem

Maybe try a different coconut oil? It's unrefined coconut oil that smells/tastes coconut-y, while refined tends to have no scent/taste. You might also try jojoba oil, IIRC that it's closest to your natural skin oil and it absorbs well.

14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Refined Shea Butter doesn't have a scent

15. tuxxdk

Refined coconut it is then... Again I must venture online for that :)

16. richgem

Be sure to look both ways before crossing the internet. ;)

tuxxdk likes this.
  17. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

If I can throw in a couple ideas from the normal Walmart/Target area, I would try Mitchum or Arm and Hammer in the orange/yellow stick. Both are the normal Stick 2.7oz deodorants, but they have the highest concentration of the active ingredient in deodorants I've ever seen(19% and 20%). They also are pretty scentless, so I spray on a deodorant spray for scent or cologne and it works well :). They're also fairly cheap. They work really well for me.

I've taken a trip to DC with my Mom on one of her business trips, and even in the horrible humidity, I never smelled with those deodorants.

18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Mitchum is effective for a few days if need be but getting it off is like removing Elmers glue.

19. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Why no alum if I may ask ?

20. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

I dunno man. I use it everyday and shower every day. I use either a bar soap like Trader Joe's pure vegetable soap or Bath and Body Works shower gel, and it gets it off no problem. You just have to use a soap/shower gel that's better than the crap you get at Target or Walmart.