Whiskey lovers

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Norseman, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

At $85 for a bottle, I am going to force my palate to adjust to the laphroaig.
    I probably have to work my way through the Jameson first, and then "advance" to a single malt kind of wiskey before I try the laphroaig again. :)

Boojum1 and Peter Cupitt like this.
  2. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

I guess if only heathens add water then the Master Blender of the best selling scotch in the world is a heathen. (Brian Kinsman)

A splash of water opens up the scotch and really brings all the flavors out. I'm not saying mix water with it, just a splash.

Last edited: May 18, 2014
    Peter Cupitt likes this.
  3. Norseman

I am still not enjoying it, but I have learned to tolerate it and is fascinated by this whisky.
    I am sipping it right now, and it is absolutely growing on me. The taste is interesting and the burn is delightful.
    Skaal :)

Monkeylord likes this.
  4. Norseman

There's nothing like enjoying a wee dram in your own back yard on a fine summer evening.
    This time I am testing my palate on a Caol Ila whisky, and I think I like it :)

CaoIla.jpg

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

For Bourbon I like Makers Mark or Blantons on the rocks or straight up
    For Single Malt Scotch it is Glenrothes

6. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I have wanted to try makers mark

Peter Cupitt likes this.
  7. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

I like to keep an assortment of Scotch Whiskey and Single Malts in the house. This is what's on hand at the moment.

IMG_0793.JPG :eatdrink013:

cubancigar2000 and Peter Cupitt like this.
  8. Peter Cupitt

Peter Cupitt robe-wearing whale shaver

Wait, wait, I got one ............ An Irish, an American and A Scotch whisky/whiskey are in a bar, in Australia ......................................... SO I DRINK THEM :happy068::rofl::happy093::happy097: Thankyou, I'm here all week
    3 in a bar.jpg
    Really, I have just begun my true appreciation of whiskey of all types, but prefer Irish and Bourbon due to familiarity. I just bought two "Glencairn" whisky nosing glasses yesterday and am having one of them engraved as we speak (It's all mine I say!!!!)
    I also received a set of Stainless Steel "whiskey Stones" for father's day, along with the Johnnie Walker Black Label from my wife (she thought it was Jack Daniels :rolleyes: ) BUT HEY, I'm going to just suck it up and get on with the drinking Tasting!!!!
    Just for the record, I do, and will, be adding Coca Cola to SOME of my whiskey/bourbons since I consider myself a bit of a Coke officianado as well. My family owned the LAST Independant Coca Cola bottling plants in Australia, at "Inverell, NSW". So I grew up drinking copious amounts of coke and surrounded by Coke merchandise and advertising and people talking about coke. to me, Coke and Bourbon (especially) is not the devils work, it is a marriage made in heaven. One caveat, once the bourbon get s to approx $250 a bottle like my Beam 1795, then it's a No Coke Zone !!!

cubancigar2000 and Boojum1 like this.
  9. Peter Cupitt

TRUST ME, It's good. Try it !!!

Omelmad, cubancigar2000 and Boojum1 like this.
  10. Peter Cupitt

For my "Daily Driver" Bourbon, I like "Old Number Fifteen" Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey since it is one of the cheapest at my local bottle shop and tastes really quite nice with coke. Refreshing :eatdrink013:

cubancigar2000 likes this.
  11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have a bottle of the Redbreast. It just does not get it for me. I sure would help you out with the 1795 or the Johnny though

12. Peter Cupitt

I am told that Australian whiskey, produced primarily in Tasmania is the rising star in the whiskey world. A short search on the interweb and I found several references to the attention being paid to the Likes of "Helleyrs Road","Smiths", Lark" and "Sullivans Cove".

13. Peter Cupitt

Can anyone here play "Taps"? is there a bugle in the house? How about a minutes silence ? Sorry to bring the mood down, but it was in a good cause, the cause of bringing happiness to mankind (Well, just me really).
    dead+soldier.jpg

cubancigar2000 likes this.
  14. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

It's definitely a different taste, but it does remind you of the sea. I'd recommend the Bowmore for a somewhat milder Islay. You have to remember though that as a Norwegian half or that $85 is going to your government to support worthwhile causes, so you should get a warm feeling everytime you have a dram. :)

I've heard the Glenfiddich (best selling worldwide) and The Glenlivit (best selling in US) are good choices to start exploring single malts. I've got a bottle of Laphroig and it's a good one to sip slowly.

Norseman likes this.
  15. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

My favourite whiskey is Johnny Walker Red.

16. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I think Johnnie Walker Red makes the best scotch and soda, I believe that was Winston Churchill's favorite. There's a reason it's the best selling scotch in the world.

17. Peter Cupitt

Be careful drinking Johnnie Walker red, Winston Churchill is dead !!!!!!!!! :sick013:

cubancigar2000 and crackstar like this.
  18. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Cheers!

IMG_0794.JPG

Norseman and Erik Redd like this.
  19. Norseman

Actually it is more than half, probably more like 70-80%. But you get used to it, and it is not such a big deal anymore.

The Laphroaig has grown on me, in fact I have already purchased a bottle of Glenfiddich, and found it to be horrible compared to the Laphroaig.
    But my favourite scotch is Talisker. Just enough peat and still lots of flavour.
    Skål :)

Erik Redd likes this.
  20. Eric Green

Eric Green Active Member

Just a few I brought back from Aberdeen this year and some extra photographs of my now favourite shop. Just to wet your appetite.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]