Thinking about switching...

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Dirtboyz, Aug 19, 2014.

1. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Straight to the big leagues...nice investment. You can easily sell what you dont like. ATT is very nice indeed. You are doing your homework..lol. I hope it works out for you.

2. Dirtboyz

Dirtboyz New Member

Haha awesome I defiantly have been doing my homework and if it doesn't work out the 30 day guarantee is really nice, I am very excited to get into this. That ATT is very nice! I will probably go ahead and order that one tomorrow, so now I can focus myreaserch on brushes

3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Since you are new to the Double Edge world, here is the advice I received when I started with a DE and so I freely give it to new users. The most important things in shaving are, your skin and technique. All other things fall in line behind those two things and to support them. Since the skin is a given fixed item, the next major item is technique. It is called THE 30 DAY RULE.

THE 30 DAY RULE is as follows: Find a razor, then a blade that will not cause issues with your skin (that may take a few different blades in a sampler pack to find a suitable choice or it maybe the first out of the gate) and select a soap or cream that is easy to generate good lather. Once you find those, and it may take a couple of weeks to find this combination, order a quantity of that blade enough for 30 days, and then spend 30 days using nothing else until you build up your technique. (Note that only one brand blade is used for 30 days after each blade in the sampler pack is tested to make the decision on the blade brand to use for 30 days.) The 30 day clock starts when you have the right blade for you.

After 30 days, change one and only one variable and work for another week then change another after another week. At that point you should be able to make better decisions because your technique is now in place.

This will help you to avoid buying too much gear and stuff too soon without having the technique down to enjoy it all.

This really does work.

Oh and one more thing ...

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

Dirtboyz likes this.
  4. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

Welcome, and I am sure this is a switch that you won't regret. I have been shaving with a DE for about 20yrs now and have never looked back. I don't miss any of the pulling, tugging, razor burn, etc., that I used to deal with on a daily basis back in my days of cartridge shaving.

Dirtboyz likes this.
  5. Dirtboyz

Dirtboyz New Member

Thank you @GDCarrington I will keep the 30 day rule in mind, I guess changing one thing at a time so there is only one variable effecting the shave is pretty smart!

GDCarrington likes this.
  6. lilbones99

lilbones99 Member

See, told ya. Best. Advice. Ever.

Dirtboyz likes this.
  7. Dirtboyz

Dirtboyz New Member

Hahaha yes @lilbones99 I was wondering when it would come up. I'm sure it will make my transition to DE razors very pleasant

8. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Greetings! :signs046: to the SHAVE DEN.

Dirtboyz likes this.
  9. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Weber and a synthetic are excellent choices. Synthetics do dry much faster than badger and boar and horse. Weber is a great stainless steel DE for a reasonable price.

Omelmad likes this.
  10. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Shave Den.

11. leigh44

leigh44 Member

@Dirtboyz I recently just joined The and the help has been unreal. The biggest switch I had to make which worked for me was really studying my growth direction to make sure I wasn't shaving too aggressively and also switching to cold water shaves. I suffered from really bad razor burn for years and that seems to have eased to almost no razor burn after just a couple of shaves but definitel keep trying, you'll get there