What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Jolly Rodgers & Sons……for a very smooth evening shave! After using the noisy full-hollow Tortolani the other day, this razor was comparatively dead-quiet and yet highly efficient at mowing down whiskers.
    [​IMG]

2. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Filarmonic 14 Sub Cero

IMG_3277.JPG

3. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

My Champlin was on duty again this morning. :) It's early days still obviously, but I'm enjoying my shaves with the slightly larger 6/8. The lil' bit of extra weight feels good in the hand and the broader blade feels good on the face. :happy005:

[​IMG]

entropy1049, oscar11, TSimons and 2 others like this.
  4. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

Dubl Duck Goldedge

IMG_20140512_102937.jpg

entropy1049, oscar11, TSimons and 2 others like this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

It's funny, Chris, but I've noticed when I use a larger straight (6/8 or bigger) for several days, and then go back the a 4/4 or 5/8, I find the smaller blades considerably faster and easier to use. Not that I am in any rush, but smaller blades I find easier to navigate and so am more inclined to zip right though a 3-pass shave in about 2/3s the time I take with a larger blade. However, I do enjoy using the big blades (the weight and feel), so if it takes a little longer, I'm okay with that….

TSimons, Stubbl E and lindyhopper66 like this.
  6. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

5/8 Kropp
    Maggard's SS
    homemade boar
    Fine shave this morning.
    [​IMG]

7. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

Mastro Livi full hollow 9/8

[​IMG]

8. lindyhopper66

Wow, Jamie, moving on up. Beautiful What are the scales made of and does the pin have a washer and cap? I think this is the best-looking Mastro Livi razor I've seen posted.

entropy1049 and Jamie Mahoney like this.
  9. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

Wade & Butcher Bow

IMG_20140519_053634.jpg

10. Jamie Mahoney

Not one of mine to be honest Robert this one came in for honing so I couldn't resist to be honest I call it Honers perks.:) anyway I'm no fan of Livi razors to be honest I've honed quite a few, the shave was top notch the negatives out way the positives for me I don't like the scales the free hand jimping on the tang is another design element I dislike and this must be the most awkward razor I've ever stropped, and to top it off putting your signature right across the front of the blade is an absolute no no I wouldn't trade a single razor I own for any Mastro Livi razor I've seen.

lindyhopper66 likes this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

After reading your comments, Jamie, I don't feel so put out about my not being able to ever afford one...;) :D

12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

C-MON Special...I have yet to have a less-than-stellar shaving experience with this razor. I really am enjoying using this one....
    [​IMG]

ObiDon, entropy1049, TSimons and 3 others like this.
  13. lindyhopper66

Thiers-Issard 7/8 ebony wood scales

Fendrihan in Ontario, Canada shipped me this new razor on Monday and I picked it up at the Durham, NC UPS hub today. Fast shipping. I decided to try a test shave with the factory edge. The edge shaved hair at skin level and popped hair halfway, so I thought I wouldn't need to re-hone.

I got a good shave but with two ATG passes after a WTG and XTG pass, my face and neck didn't feel smooth going ATG. Passable but not perfect. The razor edge feels good. The steel is Carbonsong C135, T-I's latest steel. It feels heavy for a modern razor. I'll have to get used to the balance. I think a heavier set of scales might help.

After the shave I re-honed on lapping film, re-establishing the bevel on 30/15/12 micron film and continuing with 9, 5, 3, 1, 0.3 micron film. I finished by stropping on linen and leather. I'll test it again on Friday or Saturday. I really like the heft of the blade and think it will be a good addition to my razor collection.

IMG_3289.JPG

entropy1049, TSimons, oscar11 and 2 others like this.
  14. Jamie Mahoney

Hi Robert you will find the TI C135 steel quite a bit harder than most steels.

lindyhopper66 likes this.
  15. lindyhopper66

I've noticed that as well as the heft. My modern Dovo and Suzumasa razors are all light weights and so I assumed all modern razors would be as compared to my many vintage razors.

It's definitely not like honing a Dubl Duck or Case, but more like trying to hone a stainless steel razor or like my Parker razor. Much more honing time. We'll see what my results are.

Jamie Mahoney and oscar11 like this.
  16. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

6/8 Hoffritz
    Maggard's SS
    homemade pure brush
    Very nice shave this morning. It's been a rough week, I just hope it's over and doesn't continue through the weekend.
    [​IMG]

17. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

The Garland 5/8 this morning. :bounce015:

My hand dexterity is slowly improving and today I had the first really satisfying results from ATG passes up my neck. The whiskers below my goatee have been the tricky bit and it seems a very shallow angle is key there for me. :)

Steve, here's to a better weekend! (and a better day Friday come to that) :happy069:

18. lindyhopper66

I've discovered you can make all the shave pass directions more shallow than is usually touted, but especially going XTG and almost flat going against the grain.

Stubbl E likes this.
  19. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

Imperial Razor warranted Barbers Favorite

Barbers Favorite.jpg

20. lindyhopper66

Thiers-Issard
    My re-honing did the trick. I got a very nice shave today and for some reason the unbalanced feel in my hand was absent this morning.

IMG_3293.JPG

entropy1049 and Jamie Mahoney like this.