Razor of choice for head shaving

Discussion in 'Head shaving' started by newb, May 26, 2010.

1. damarico73

damarico73 Member

I've read that some blades are aggressive and some mild. What does that mean? Are they talking about razor to skin...

2. Tovicand

Tovicand New Member

I use the Gillette Proglide to shave my head. It is a very smooth shave with no pull and tug, like the ad says!

3. Frank C.

Frank C. Active Member

I use a mach 3. I'm still too new at DE shaving to try it on my head where I cant see what I'm doing.

4. Bryan Miller

Bryan Miller Active Member

I don't understand why you grown men fear using DE's on your noggin. Man up! I bought a Merkur long handle and some feathers, ripped open the package and went to work. The skin on your heads tough and as long as you're not reckless, you can achieve a great shave... Much better than Mach 3, etc.

Don't fear safety blades. Respect them and go to town!

Oh and make sure to learn how to properly prep your skin and hair. Use extra preshave oil or cream and plenty of shaving cream.

RaZorBurn123, Abu Lam'yaa and Heloguy like this.
  5. Down4ttown

Down4ttown New Member

Headblade s4. Can shave my head in minutes.

6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Or........"It's your shave. Enjoy it your way"

7. Bryan Miller

Pfft. It's the best decision I've made. Now I have a growing hobby that I love to do and wish to spread awareness :)

8. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Spreading awareness is fine. Scoffing at other folks choices is not.

Tattoobob likes this.
  9. Bryan Miller

I was trying to joke around. It's difficult to tell how sarcastic I am sometimes.

Sorry. Got off on the wrong foot.

Let me tell you about the futur.

Pure gold. Shaved my head at the max 6.5 adjustment and its incredible. Best shave of my life!!!

BigMark likes this.
  10. newb

newb Resident Newb

Wow, how things have changed for me in head shaving over the years. I can shave my head with about anything, but I now use mainly a Shick Quattro, battery powered vibrator. It's my daily head shaver. I shave my head daily in the shower using Cella soap and a horse hair brush. I no longer have nicks or cuts as opposed to my d/e days, and the Noggin is BBS on a daily basis. I occasionally will use a d/e or a str8 on my days off from work. but for a consistent clean shave the Quattro works for me. Boy's there's nothing wrong with technology when it works.

11. Kingofseoul

Kingofseoul Member

I use an Edwin Jagger DE89lbl with a shark blade. I now shave in the shower with no issues.
    In fact, I don't really need to prep my head or anything as long as I do it in the shower.
    Though I don't want to recommend that to everyone as a general rule.
    However, I shave my head every other day so the hair doesn't get too long.

I have shaved my head with a Merkur Futur before, but I'm waiting till I get a better feel for the adjustable razor before I go back to using it as my primary razor.

12. jmsodpc

jmsodpc Well-Known Member

I used a 6 bladed dorco cartridge razor this week for head shave.
    I keep it in the shower and shave my head every other day. Blade lasts a month. I do one atg pass.

13. digitaldome

digitaldome Well-Known Member

EJ DE89...with a Gillette Silver Blue Blade

14. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

I use one of my DEs, most recently my Maggard Razors M3 with a Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow blade

15. Mindy Marion

Mindy Marion New Member

Preference when shaving your head? Shaving oil vs Shaving cream...

16. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

So far, my 37c with Astra SP or Personna Reds.

17. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

My FrankenTech. 1965 Tech Head on a Weber Bulldog Handle.

Troy M likes this.
  18. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

First-time poster here. I use a headblade, but find that it doesn't shave as closely as a Fusion or a Schick Hydro. So I find myself touching up with those after using the headblade. Anyone else?

19. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

Also, what do you all use for a shave cream?

20. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Straight razor works fine, better than a DE or SE for me.