SoS: August 25, 2014 - August 31, 2014

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Aug 24, 2014.

1. LifesShort

LifesShort Well-Known Member

Ah, but if you are lucky enough to live in the Deep South, you still have another 4-8 weeks of warm weather. We also have the best football in the country right here in the SEC! :rah:

Llyr, crackstar and ram57 like this.
  2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

late shave today, afternoon appointment.
    hot shower prep
    Parker pure badger
    Truefitt & Hill ultimate comfort
    Gillette slim(I1)(7)
    persona lab(3)
    barbasol brisk
    c.o.bigelow a/s balm & cologne white
    sorry guys, no pic today, but you have seen them anyway. tf&h uc may be the best cream I have used so far, surely up there somewhere. very nice shave today. all those smells mixed together well, "I feel pretty", IN A MANLY WAY. just kidding. I do like the bigelow white. very refreshing.
    hope y'all find some inner pretty today.

Stroker, Troy M, TSimons and 16 others like this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

AMEN! :happy108::happy093:

Llyr likes this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I'm more of a fan of the Pro's game (NFL) than college. Regional euphoria for the college game has never been huge in the SF Bay/ Nor Cal area, despite the success of Stanford and of Cal (in the past). But the 49er/Raider craze seems permanent...

Llyr, crackstar, ram57 and 4 others like this.
  5. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Says the man who played college football. . . .

Llyr, crackstar, ram57 and 1 other person like this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I enjoyed playing it in college; not so much enjoyment as a spectator now. ;)
    If we had the strong regional rivalries here locally that exist elsewhere in the US, maybe it'd draw more interest. The biggest local college rivalry is probably Cal-Stanford—and its mostly just the alumni who lose their collective mind's over that rivalry. The local population is rather ho-hum about it.

Llyr, crackstar, ram57 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

I hadn’t planned on shaving today. I still feel slightly rough around the edges after yesterday’s shave, and I wanted to heal and also give my beard time to grow a few more inches before I tackled the Progress again.
    However, the reigning dark queen of infinite terror (my mother) informed me that she wanted to pick up the little Sithlings from day care and let them spend the evening at the temple of elemental evil.
    That left me and the Jedi Master available for a quick meal downtown and no choice but to shave. :)

The Merkur Progress has not been mastered, so it was a natural choice. This time I started with level 4 and followed up with 3 and 2 for the following passes. Not surprisingly it went much better, although I managed to nick myself a time or two.
    The Sitspawn was benched and I chose the Futur brush for this shave. And I have to admit, the Futur is the better brush. Mostly because of its size, but also because it is softer, yet still retains enough backbone so that it never becomes “floppy”. I don't like floppy

So there you have it..

Face Soap: Fitjar Preshave Soap
    Razor: Merkur Progress
    Blade: Crystal (2)
    Brush: Merkur Futur
    Aftershave Lotion: Lucido
    Aftershave Balm: Fitjar Moisturizer.

Stroker, Troy M, Ryan B and 15 others like this.
  8. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

Friday morning -

Prep - Noxzema & hot towel
    Cream - MEM Olive
    Brush - Ever Ready refinished wood/2-band bulb, 22mm X 43mm
    Razor - Wade & Butcher 13/16

2 pass
    Warm water rinse & cold water splash
    Alum block & Witch-hazel AS

The MEM cream arrived yesterday and I was eager to give it a go this morning. Initial impressions are that it's much like the Palmolive cream, which is to say very good. The scents bear a remarkable similarity, though the MEM does seem a bit stronger. And the MEM is definitely a more verdant shade of green! But of course what really matters is the performance, and there it seems absolutely top quality to me. It took a while to get to me (via Israel) but I can't complain at all. Very nice stuff!

:eatdrink013:

Stroker, Troy M, Ryan B and 16 others like this.
  9. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

I remember Stanford and San Jose St. games drawing more of a crowd than Standford/Cal in the 70's and 80's.

Troy M, Llyr and crackstar like this.
  10. figment714

figment714 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

SoS - Friday, August 29, 2014

Cool shower
    Prep: Homemade Lime PSO
    Brush: WD silvertip, 24/47
    Soap: Stirling Ozark Mountain
    Razor: Weber w/ bulldog handle
    Blade: Rapira (1)
    Aftershave: Clubman Special Reserve

Very comfortable DFS today.

- Don

Stroker, John Beeman, Troy M and 19 others like this.
  11. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Thanks.

ram57, Llyr and crackstar like this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    sod140830.jpg
    [​IMG]

Dove Men's Face Wash
    Kiss My Face Cool Mint
    Tweezerman Badger
    Gillette FH Tech w/ Utopia handle
    Wilkinson Sword Stainless
    CWR
    Thayers Rose Petal WH
    Pinaud Clubman AS

The Kiss My Face Cool Mint face-lathered very easily with my Tweezerman Badger brush. Two passes with my Gillette Tech with Utopia handle and a Wilkinson Sword Stainless blade gave me a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, alum block, and a final cold water rinse, I finished off with Thayers Rose Petal WH and then Pinaud Clubman after shave. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
    Stroker, Troy M, figment714 and 17 others like this.
  13. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Llyr, crackstar and Norseman like this.
  14. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

That is one cool blade mister! First one I have seen.:happy036:

lindyhopper66, Llyr and crackstar like this.
  15. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Saturday:

Neutrogena Men Facial Wash :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Large Horsehair Barbershop
    Super Speed/Rapira day 6
    Synergy Frost_byte SS :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Lubriderm Unscented Moisturizer :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055:
    Alcolado Glacial Menthol Splash :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Chabrawichi 555 Cologne

Damn, now I can't keep my mitts off this Frost_byte soap which I received this week - it's already my third shave with it and I absolutely LOVE it. Just a few swirls gave me a crapload of rich, slick, protective lather with a face-freeze that could make a penguin shiver. Oh yeah, this soap is very well-named. The Alcolado Glacial added to that freeze very, very nicely and it smells quite good also. My Rapira blade is starting to show some signs of fatigue, but it still gave me a good BBS shave. ;) :D

Stroker, dscaver, LifesShort and 15 others like this.
  16. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

today's shave
    hot water wash with nivea men's
    pur-tech synthetic
    C.O.Bigelow
    Merkur 39c
    persona lab(1)
    Barbasol brisk
    today's shave was really good. the synthetic does better for me with creams, than soaps. I'm sure it's a water issue, I'll figure it out. but I got the the creams nailed down.
    the hammer with a new lab, FA-GET ABOUT IT.
    finished with brisk,I like it.
    gotta work some today, hope y'all don't have to. 20140830_071339-1.jpg

17. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Saturday

Prep: Hot Shower-Stirling Cocoa Butter Bath Soap
    Soap: La Toja Stick
    Razor: Gillette FH Tech(Triangle Slots)/Maggard MR1 Handle
    Blade: Personna Med Prep (4)
    Brush: Whipped Dog Synthetic w/Bethlehem Olive Wood-24mmx58mm
    Aftershave: Stirling Sharp Dressed Man

WTG-XTG-ATG (adjusted angles for my beard)

I used one of my “Travel” set-ups today, even though I am not traveling over the Holiday.
    La Toja Stick: quick cushioning lather. The WD Synthetic does an excellent job lathering. I am still with the MR1 handle on my Fat Handle Tech using a Med Prep blade. Another smooth, close, nick free shave. I finished with Stirling Sharp Dressed Man.

Bob

[​IMG]

Stroker, dscaver, LifesShort and 14 others like this.
  18. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps
    Today's shave was not very good. It felt good while I prepped, built lather on my face, and smoothly mowed down my stubble, but the result is a pretty red and irritated neck with a few weepers. Perhaps my technique lagged in this area today, perhaps the backbone of my Rubberset brush is too much for my neck everyday, perhaps I didn't build the lather well enough.
    I do think I like B&M Kyovu Bay Rum AS better than Krampert's, by a small margin. Either one would be satisfying to use everyday, IMHO.

Prep: RR/HTGAM lime menthol
    Soap: HTGAM Synergy Bay Rum
    Brush: Rubberset 400-4
    Razor: iKon SC101
    Blade: Personna lab blue (1)
    AS: Krampert's Finest Acadian Spice Bay Rum
    [​IMG]

Stroker, dscaver, LifesShort and 14 others like this.
  19. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Today's Shave (8/30)

[​IMG]

20. Llyr

Llyr Stay frosty, my friends!

Friday
    hot shower
    Semogue BC Mistura
    Crown Shaving Co. PSB
    SOTQ Lemons & Figs Lanolin Soap
    Mergress XL/Gillette Silver Blue (5)
    cold water rinse
    Monster Block Alum
    cold water rinse
    Tend Skin
    Thayer's Lemon WH
    Somerset's ASB
    Imaginary Authors Yesterday Haze edp

Nice and smooth 2 pass face,1 pass dome,for BBS all around!!!

Stay frosty,my friends and enjoy the Labor Day weekend!!! :cool:
    Just a question.When I first started using the Mergress (Progress) I wasn't aligning the heads,yeah I know I didn't read the instructions.Theres a arrow on the bottom plate and a line on the top plate that lines up.I had 2 very nasty shaves before I figured that out :ashamed001: