Hi I need a strop and hears what I found that I think is great quallity

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by FanofAceVentura, Aug 28, 2014.

1. FanofAceVentura

FanofAceVentura Well-Known Member

lindyhopper66 likes this.
  2. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

HolyRollah likes this.
  3. lindyhopper66

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I agree that a 3" strop is a good fit for someone new to stropping.
    I started there and have since migrated to a narrower strop—but I'm glad I went with the 3" wide, initially.

5. DoughBoy68

DoughBoy68 Member

I used a 2 1/2" strop for the first few years into this journey with much success. A while back I acquired the components of a 3" SRD strop, which I assembled myself, and have really enjoyed stropping with it. With a 3" strop you don't have to concentrate on getting those 'X' stokes right, that extra 1/2" makes a big difference!

6. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

I'm in my rookie season with a straight as well Ace and using a 2.5" shell strop. The x-stroke isn't a problem as it's a mild one and actually I'm appreciating the practice. I can see where a 3" could also be nice but I'd have my doubts about choosing a 2" hanging strop to learn on - seems like a bit of a full plate there IMO.

Star Shaving looks to have some quality gear as well, and nicely priced too.

7. TSimons

TSimons not allowed near railroad tracks

I went with a Star Shaving bench strop for my first strop. At 10" long, it is shorter then I would like but it works. As with everyone else, I'd shy away from a 2" wide strop for a first timer. You might want to take a look at the Illinois 127, its 2-1/2" wide and 27" long, a bit more working room then the Mountain Man, and on sale for at Sharpening Supplies...

http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Illinois-127-Leather-Razor-Strop-P244C11.aspx

8. marbert

marbert Well-Known Member

Interesting to hear recommendations for 3" strops. I've always liked the logic that a beginner is going to cut up their first strop, so make it a cheap one. I took that to heart and bought a piece of vegetable tanned 2" belt leather. Been working great...and I have cut the hell out of it. Just took delivery today of a Star Shaving 2" strop in English bridle leather. Nice strop, but I think I might get their 3" Big Daddy instead.

9. lindyhopper66

I don't agree with buying cheap as a beginner. I went for the best strops I could find. I still nick the strops but they are still useable.

Stubbl E and HolyRollah like this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

…or get a bench strop. Inexpensive, well-made of quality material—and ideal for learning proper technique. I have one i use now as a ChrOx-pasted strop.
    [​IMG]

11. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

I think strops (and probably hones too come to that) are a lot like buying a pair of boots - get the best quality ones you can afford at the time and you'll be thankful later on...

Again, Star has some bench strops as well (fer no much $$...again), and like Kevin said you can always use them as a base for compounds later on...

lindyhopper66 likes this.
  12. lindyhopper66

I have two Star bench strops I use with pastes.