A Very Cool-looking Barber Shop

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by HolyRollah, Aug 29, 2014.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

A good friend and coworker shared with me that her cousin opened a 'retro-style' barber shop in Sacramento fairly recently and has had a tremendous upsurge in business with top Yelp reviews. The shop's name: 'Hot Rod's Chop Shop'Traditional Barbering, Fades, Tapers, Line Ups, and Straight Razor Shaving!

Great story behind-the-scenes: her cousin's dad was a barber who, when he first got his license, had as his first customer his young son. Now that the son is licensed, his first customer? His dad, of course. Great photos of both these memorable moments hanging in the shop.

Love the decor and vibe of the shop....Sort of "retro auto-shop meets the local barber"....
    Wish I had a shop like this closer.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

3. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

Two of the chairs that I can see look like they are vintage that have been restored.

4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Very cool, indeed.

5. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

No offense intended toward your friend's cousin Kevin, but that looks like a cross between Monster Garage and a Hard Rock Café. Oy Vey, as they say. Callin' all hipsters I reckon.

Good luck to 'em, but I'll pass (though it is just down the road, comparatively)

Is that London calling all Hipsters? Nup...it's just Sacramento. :angelic007:

[​IMG]

HolyRollah likes this.
  6. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

I think I'm kinda the anti-hipster, or maybe the broken hipster...
    but I'd go there!
    Kevin, I 'm thinking the old school barber thing is well on it's way back, and I'm likin' it!
    Very nice.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  7. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I don't think it' s a hipster barber shop. Looks like a unique place.

8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Looks pretty neat to me! He should also sell soaps & brushes.

ObiDon likes this.
  9. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Now if he had a place where customers could use their laptops and sip their lattes— you might be right about catering to hipsters....
    He actually offers his customers….a cold beer while they wait. Liquor license? I imagine so…..
    I asked about the demographic of his clients. According to Deb, my friend, she says it's a very broad clientele. Your typical 'older gents' who want a traditional 'cut & shave, but also a growing group of customers in the late 20s to early 40s, blue collar & white collar.

Not your typical 'hipster' cut…
    [​IMG]

I do like his use of old straight razors as wall motifs. Wonder if I could convince my wife? ….:think002:

Ryan B and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I agree. He has other 'stuff'….
    [​IMG]

12. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

The Tool Boxes are awesome. :signs154:

Bristle Me likes this.
  13. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I am not fond of that industrial look. It just does not say Comfy to me. I like those old buildings with tin ceilings and the like.

gorgo2 likes this.
  14. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

Looks like a nice place to me. It does look a bit "hip", but then again retro stuff will always attract that crowd. I don't mind them, though I'm not one of them. We both have an affinity towards the old ways of doing things.

I might look it up, though I have my spot already. Barber Jon's in El Dorado Hills. Great barber shop with awesome atmosphere. They have really got the old barber shop as community center thing going on there.

15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Vaguely reminds me of Ray Stevens' Haircut Song.

16. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I love it! Anywhere you can get a haircut and a shave, and a beer... Rocks for me! :happy088:

Bristle Me likes this.
  17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I don't believe the vibe they are striving for had the word 'comfy' in mind…..;):D

18. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

Might be that they get their own "reality tv" series even, y'never know...

...maybe annex a tattoo shop next door just to be safe. :happy102:

Then again, these days it seems even a pawn shop'll do! :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  19. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

It looks cool =)

20. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

And this is why I will never step into a hair salon. If I'm ever in Sacramento I will be stopping by there. Now if only they served Yeungling...