What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Are Harts half hollows? They almost look like a slim wedge. How's the Hart compare to your other razors?

2. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Robert, IIRC, I believe they're 1/4 ground. They do feel a bit wedge like when shaving, IMO. Mine has always delivered a very good shave and takes a very nice edge. They're a big heavy razor, kinda like shaving with a '68 Buick. I like straight razors and would have to say it will hang with the rest shave quality wise I don't think it would ever make my favorite razor. I like the nostalgia of vintage but a good shaving razor is a good shaving razor no matter when it was made.

TSimons, gssixgun and lindyhopper66 like this.
  3. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

Henckels 17 full hollow 7/8

[​IMG]

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I had such an enjoyable shave yesterday morning, I opted to have a repeat performance using the bargain-razor, Herskovitz…and another good shave resulted. :)
    I've heard it said, "It's the carpenter, not the hammer that builds the successful house." Applying this logic to wet-shaving, I know I should be able to get a decent shave with any shave-ready razor—no matter the price point.
    However, just as a good carpenter appreciates a better-made hammer, I enjoy those razors that are made of higher-grade materials and/or have name-brand recognition ($$$) and a sterling reputation. But I still appreciate the plain-jane models, too.
    [​IMG]

entropy1049, vwp528, gssixgun and 4 others like this.
  5. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

J R Torrey with TX cedar scales.

IMG_20140902_053919.jpg

6. lindyhopper66

Henckels Friodur Inox 8/8

I don't think I can get my traditional kamisori into shaving shape by myself. I used a 12k Naniwa, a slow coticule and a Jnat followed by 0.1 micron CBN and a lot of stropping and the edge just keeps getting worse. So I shaved with this razor instead today. Two days growth went away without a fuss.

IMG_3421.JPG

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
    entropy1049, vwp528, BudWhite and 3 others like this.
  7. lindyhopper66

8. Jamie Mahoney

Filarmonica 14 Especial half hollow 8/8

[​IMG]

9. oscar11

Grelot
    Prep SS
    homemade brush
    The only thing accurate in this pic is the razor. The horse hair brush now sprouts a a super finest knot and the soap was Prep instead of Cella. Sorry, but it's to dark for photos. Have a good one.
    [​IMG]

entropy1049, vwp528, Stubbl E and 4 others like this.
  10. lindyhopper66

Dovo 55 Fritz Bracht

IMG_3431.JPG

entropy1049, vwp528, oscar11 and 5 others like this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Thursday Evening shave…..it was a good one! :)
    [​IMG]

12. oscar11

7/8 Wacker
    This is the razor of the day but I did use a homemade boar and Prep SS instead of what's pictured. Great shave, have a good one.
    [​IMG]

entropy1049, vwp528, Stubbl E and 4 others like this.
  13. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

Those blue swirl handles are supah sexy Steve, regardless of what knot's in 'em. :happy088:

I went with the George Savage & Sons wedge again this morning. Lots and lots of pitting on the blade but the edge is sound and the shaves are just buttah smooth! Part of it too is just the feeling of shaving with a 170 year old blade. "Priceless! " :happy108:

[​IMG]

14. lindyhopper66

Kikuboshi frameback

IMG_3470.JPG

IMG_3466.JPG

15. oscar11

J.S. Holler
    MWF
    homemade badger
    This razor has always been a fine shaver. The knot is temporarily tacked into this handle. I have a different one in mind for this one. Very nice shave today, have a good one.
    [​IMG]

16. lindyhopper66

I love all your brush handles, Steve. I have a very old J S Holler I received from a elderly friend's grandfather's legacy, but it has a lot of staining and ugly scales. Is that a rescale?

17. oscar11

Nope, this one set me back about $20-$25 at a local antique store. I'll have another handle tomorrow for today's knot. It'll be the one it lives in until it gets a lobotomy. For some reason I'm intrigued with best hair now.

lindyhopper66 likes this.
  18. BudWhite

BudWhite Well-Known Member

Needs to go back to the hones, but it sure cleaned up nicely!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410049561.311057.jpg

19. Jamie Mahoney

Japanese Eiko YSK2 Yasuki steel full hollow 13/16

[​IMG]

20. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

A nice one today!

FeON Model 172 (you were right Jamie!). I had the pleasure of receiving the first shave ever delivered from this razor...Very cool!
    With a "token stropping" on an old Illinois 6454 Shell strop I've just rescued from an antique shop and resurrected. The razor didn't need stropping so I went very light and did very few strokes (but, hey... I had to strop something with it).

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014