Sbux Komodo Dragon

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Darkbulb, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

First time I'm trying this coffee and I have to say it's rather nice.
    Ground up some beans this morning and am sipping a cup as we speak.

First impressions are that it's 'good but a bit generic'.
    It's a very inoffensive coffee - it doesn't stray too far into acid or complexity.
    It's a good coffee but I also feel it could be any coffee.

I will for sure finish my pound of it but I don't see myself buying it again.
    So far [for me] Verona and Sumatra beat it hands down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Keep going with Komodo. I understand what you're saying, but I think it goes way deeper than you're letting it. They used to have an African blend called Sulawesi that I didn't like at first, second or third times trying. Then it became something I craved and had a very unique flavor. I thought it was probably one of the best of their blends, ever. Then they quit selling it. :(

I don't know how you do it, but try it a bit stronger. I also liked to pair this with some half/half and very little sugar, back when I took coffee that way.

3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I'll try and let it brew a bit longer next cup.
    I use a percolator straight into a Klean Kanteen bottle as it's often to be had on the go.

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I had a cup of the Komodo once—nothing about it stands out in memory…pedestrian, if I had to be dismissive, but I did not find it offensive to the palette. Maybe, as Mr. Shaverman suggested, one needs to stick with it in order to appreciate the depth and uniqueness of this coffee.

5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Actually 'pedestrian'/generic was what came to mind. I still have 0.95 lbs of it to go so I'll be giving it a fair shake I think.
    If my view doesn't change the next pound may be the lovely Sumatran again :)

6. Mr. Shaverman

OMG people! They put actual Komodo Dragons in it. What more do you want?!?!

7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I would had expected a more exotic taste :)

Also makes me fear what they put in their Kenyan blend not to mention the French and Italian ones...

8. Mr. Shaverman

Now you know why you never hear from the Kenyan marathon winners again. No worries on the others. French has old crusty baguettes and just like the label for Italian would suggest, it's got old Vespa parts ground up in it.

9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Third day with the dragon and....sorry @Mr. Shaverman but this one is not living up to what I had hoped for it to be.
    It's a bit too much like gas station coffee to me :)
    I'm going back to the wonders of Sumatra next I think :D

10. Mr. Shaverman

Oh well, not everyone has the sensitive pallete that I do. ;)

You can never go wrong with Sumatra.