Antique store pickup

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bowler Mike, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Bowler Mike

Bowler Mike Well-Known Member

Pickup this what I believe is a 1937 Sheraton(based on Internet pics)with case and one Gillette Blue blade. I'm very new to wet shaving and vintage razors have a few questions.

I this razor rare and or considered desirable?

It looks to have some ware or grayish coloration in spots what should I use to clean and polish it up?

What material is the razor made of?

Attached Files:

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Why can't I find these things? Nice find.

3. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Considering how many years they were in production they're more rare than some models but still not hard to find. I picked up one locally for $4. The Senator (chrome version) is more rare than the Sheraton but I recently found one of those locally as well for $2.
    They're not a bad shaver but compared to later TTO's (Twist-to-Open) they're not as refined.
    It appears from your photo that one of the corner teeth may be bent slightly. If that's the case it's probably from being dropped on a hard surface and shouldn't affect the shave. Avoid trying to bend it back as it's easy to make things worse.
    Give it a good couple of baths with Scrubbing Bubbles and an old toothbrush and then try a mild metal polish if you think it might benefit.

4. R.D.Nelson

R.D.Nelson Well-Known Member

Nice find, I am new to collecting razors but just found a few today that I plan to post later. I used Toothpaste to clean mine a a brush, seemed to work great. Maybe the others will tell me if I did something wrong. But it did work.

5. Billy Goatee

Billy Goatee Well-Known Member

Great find, especially in the wild. It was originally gold plated, or more of a wash. Any polishing will more than likely remove it. I used toothpaste on mine and it was fine. The head was almost completely brassed, so I went ahead and polished it.

6. R.D.Nelson

I picked up a few items at an Antique Store in Granite Falls NC. They still need to be cleaned up a little and all show signs of wear from use. Schick J model injector 58-64 $5, 1967 Gilette travel tech M3 $2, and a 1932 Cooper Monobilt I think $3. I think the Cooper is an awesome razor. I cleaned it up and used it to shave this evening. Very satisfactory results for a first shave with the razor. Really look forward to using it a few more times.

Attached Files:

BigMark, Bowler Mike and GDCarrington like this.
  7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Brass with a thin Gold plating and lacquer if it is still covering the Gold plate.

Here is more on this razor.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/the-reward-of-todays-adventure.39691/#post-706560

R.D.Nelson likes this.
  8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

You did well on the Cooper. They normally sell for far more. It is a great razor! Good haul!

R.D.Nelson likes this.
  9. R.D.Nelson

It's a very nice razor you found sure wish mine would have had the case but no such luck. Hey the wear on the razor just shows it was used and adds to the character. I guess they plated the brass to keep from having pitting and such. Not sure.

GDCarrington likes this.
  10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Yes. That is why almost (almost) all brass plated razors are plated, but Gold plating was to enhance value. Since Gold is very soft, they needed a lacquer coating to protect the Gold.

11. Bowler Mike

Bowler Mike Well-Known Member

Thanks for the all the info I will soak it and take tooth brush to it and leave as is.

12. Billy Goatee

Billy Goatee Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Here is mine, before and after.
    There was no plating left on the solo doors, so I polished them (after these pics)

BigMark and R.D.Nelson like this.
  13. R.D.Nelson

14. R.D.Nelson

looks like its down to all brass. wonder is Braso would be ok to use at this point? Anyone ever use braso on a razor??? Bet it really looks great shined up.. Maybe I can find one like it. Plan to hit a couple more shops this weekend in the area. I do like the TTO razors