Feather blades... What am I getting myself in to?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by leigh44, Aug 26, 2014.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

They are the Real Deal. The only negative is the shipping times can sometimes be extraordinarily long.

2. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

It's been my experience with eBay that most sellers are deserving of their good feedback. I've made a couple of hundred transactions without getting hosed.

3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

IMO no.

J_Man, Timelord and Omaney like this.
  4. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

They work great for one shave maybe two, then it gets horrible and tuggy. They're worth a shot though.

Timelord likes this.
  5. Timelord

Timelord I get 12 times the shaves out my blades!

I tried a Feather after about a month of DE shaving. The first two shaves were good, but the 3rd was as far as I was willing to go. Most of you may think I'm nuts, but the shaves that came closest to the Feather have been with Shark Super Chromes. The difference being that the Sharks are good for 5 or 6 shaves. The Super Chromes rival my two favorites up to this point, Gillette Silver Blues and 7 O'Clock blacks, which also outlasted the Feather for number of good shaves. Don't confuse these with the Shark Super Stainless. The SS only gave me 3 shaves and none was as nice as the chromes. I'm basing these observations strictly on the shaves themselves. When you factor in cost, The Shark Super Chromes may be the best deal out there. This, more than anything has convinced me of the truth of YMMV.

J.F. Martin likes this.
  6. leigh44

leigh44 Member

Just based on everyone's personal experiences, is it possible some people might have a type of skin that just works better with stainless steel than with chrome? I only say that because out of all the blades I've tried, the bics and the astras (chrome platinum and platinum) were the only blades I've used that I found to give a very average result

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Anything is possible, but given blades are so YMMV, hard to say why certain blades work and some don't.

8. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Absolutely. That was about what I paid for the last 100 I got.

9. Sontag

Sontag Well-Known Member

As several others have mention, blades are like most things; YMMV.

For me personally a Feather blade in a Schick Krona gives me as good of a shave as any combo I've tried, and I've tried all 50+ razors I have with numerous blade types. The Feather blades are sharper than most, and seem to stay sharper longer. I always get 6-8 good shaves with every Feather I've used, and most blades give me 3-4 good shaves before they are retired to the used blade bank.

I've also had good luck with Voskhods.

10. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

I often think that peoples reviews on blades are highly subjective. If you read reviews and ratings for various blades you will quickly find that they are all over the place. While one may rate the sharpness of a blade as a 10, another rates it at a 4, and yet another rates it at a 7. 5 people say that blade A is sharper and smoother than blade B, but 7 people say that blade B is far superior to blade A and so on.

In the end your own personal rating on a blade is the only one you can truly rely on. As for me, I can't stand Dorko blades, but I love the Astras and I find feathers to be just ok and quite possibly over-hyped...But as we are wont to say here YMMV.

markjnewcomb and ObiDon like this.
  11. Tibby49

Tibby49 New Member

I ordered the 10 feather deal on eBay. 7/31/14. They still haven't arrived yet.

12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

:cool:

13. leigh44

leigh44 Member

Alright, so I tried the feather blades for the first time today and I must say it was rather underwhelming. Left my face rather patchy and got a few cuts on the Adams apple which is really just due to my wrong doing but I really expected a lot more from this blade. YMMV I guess.

Also I'm currently using a micro touch razor and think I might upgrade to something a little nicer. Can anyone recommend a mild razor for a beginner? I was thinking of going for a merkur just purely for the fact that I think Germans make a very decent product

14. lilbones99

lilbones99 Member

Depending how mild you want to go, I would recommend a Weishe, I find mine very mild and I enjoy using it. I've not had the pleasure of the fine German craftsmanship of the merkur yet, so I can't comment there. Also many of the older Gillette models are reputed to be milder, the super speeds in particular (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), I have a one piece tto Rocket 1951, also mild and a wonderful shaver IMHO.

15. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

My Merkur 34c HD was my first DE and I get a great shave using my go to blade! the Feather. Now it took me 2 months to get my technique good enough to give it a try. My advice is go slooooow with a very light touch.

R-C likes this.
  16. Bowler Mike

Bowler Mike Well-Known Member

I've been using the MTO for about a month trying a sampler. To my surprise the best for me were Derby and Crystal super platinum.

17. leigh44

leigh44 Member

I've gone through most of my sampler pack of blades and today I retried my first blade which was the dorco and they were also the best. And I'm delighted to say tthat after retrying the dorcos they are still the number 1 performing blade for me. Best shave with only little irritation. The reason why I'm delighted about this is because they are actually thecheapest blade to get shipped here in Australia .

R-C likes this.