Super Speed let down ?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by BigMark, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

The Red Tips definitely have a thicker handle than a standard SS and there's a bit more weight to 'em as well. The knurling is great on those handles too BTW. Likewise, the english Rocket HD500 has a thicker handle and more weight, and is styled similar to a 40's vintage SS. Very nice razor there as well.

The Rockets tend to go for a little more, but every so often one'll slip through unmolested; and a very nice Red Tip (without any real aesthetic issues you wouldn't pardon in a nearly 60 year old razor :happy097:) came my way for about $15 or so not 4 or 5 months ago, so I'd imagine deals can still be found there as well.

L-R: '41 Ranger, Rocket HD500, '56 Red Tip. You can sort of gauge the handle thicknesses, with the Ranger being the same as a standard SS.

[​IMG]

BigMark likes this.
  2. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I am going to change up my technique a little and see if that helps.

3. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

The SS was my favorite for years. I could get a closer shave with a 3 piece but never liked the inconvenience of one. I was perfectly ok with the comfortable and well rounded SS.

4. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

I have never personally found a 3 piece to be of any inconvenience. At most I have to spend 30 seconds changing the blade every 3 days, so 60 seconds out of my week doesn't seem like a monumental task, but you know that's just my own opinion ~YMMV.

BigMark likes this.
  5. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I never really got along with Super Speeds. The Schick Krona is another story though. I suggest you get a Krona and try it out. If you don't like it, send it to me and I'll make sure it gets disposed of in a safe manner... :D

Herm2502 likes this.
  6. BigMark

There are a few on etsy, however for the price I can get another Tech.

7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I'll be breaking out my E3 Flare Tip SS on Thursday for a six day spin.

fram773 likes this.
  8. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Using a Krona for the first time this week. VERY nice shave, pretty mild. I really like it...MUCH better than my SS. Give one a try!

9. Ryan B

You get what you pay for I guess. I think you'll like the Krona if you fork over the cash. And they are for sale from time to time on the BST. You could try there too.

10. BigMark

Perhaps eventually. I just ordered a Bakelite Handled tech off of Etsy so I can wait for a Krona.

11. Ryan B

Let us know how that works. I haven't heard much about those, so I really can't help you there.

12. R.D.Nelson

R.D.Nelson Well-Known Member

Not sure you would like the Korona It is pretty Light and very very mild IMHO. I also shave my head and can never get a great cut with the Korona. In fact the Microtouch one does a much better job

13. Ryan B

The Krona is my favorite DE. I really like my SE'S, but I don't think they'll overpass the Krona.