Using Maas for the first time

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Darkbulb, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Never used any metal polish product on a razor before but this week I got myself a tube of Maas metal polish to test it out.

I got my old Gillette Black Tip (the all stainless steel version) from the 50's and cut up an old, worn out t-shirt into some rags and got to work.

Before photos:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After about 20 minutes a couple of the rags now looked like this:
    [​IMG]

..and the razor looked like this:
    [​IMG]

It may not look like a big difference in the pictures but in person it's quite a bit more shiny..and by the look of that rag...a few ounces lighter due to the dirt removal...

A, to me, successful attempt to bring some 'shine' back to my old razor and I think I'll go through them all as I get to them.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

looks great

Darkbulb likes this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I like MAAS.

Darkbulb likes this.
  4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Looks grrrrreat!

Darkbulb likes this.
  5. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Quite wonderful old chap.

Darkbulb likes this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

You'll be amazed at the amount of black gunk Mass will continue to remove. I believe some of the color (black) is the substance's chemical reaction to the metal, however—not all is gunk.

cubancigar2000, Darkbulb and BigMark like this.
  7. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Looks really good!

Darkbulb likes this.
  8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

as a beginner in restos I took some Maas to my NOS Revisor where I slid off the hone and put some fine scratches in the blade and they came right out. Great stuff but it did take some rubbing

9. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Looks great.

10. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Congrats and well done!

11. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Looks really good

12. Silverirae

Silverirae Active Member

I love Maas. It looks great!

13. Edwin_Hernandez

Edwin_Hernandez New Member

Looks good!

14. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

Nicely done. I used Brasso for my first restore a few weeks ago, and it turned out great but then I heard Brasso wasn't a good choice for razors because apparently it can damage the finish. I had no trouble with it at the time but am considering getting some Maas so I don't ruin any of my razors.

Amazing how much better they look after just a little cleaning! I love before and after pictures. They really tell a story.

15. Mikefoster75

Mikefoster75 New Member

Maas is great, brasso didn't work near as good for me

16. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

Nice job, looking great. Enjoy

17. Just be careful with Maas it can also remove the finish off of some razors - I prefer Miracle Cloth which does a great job and won't do any damage to your razor.

18. Shotwell

I used Maas for the first time yesterday. Used it on a badly worn gold ball-end tech I was experimenting with, and because the plating was so spotty and thin, it took off all the gold plating on the head of the razor. (Not unexpected, since it was in rough shape to begin with, and I am thinking of sending it in for replating eventually anyway.) But it did shine the head beautifully. Might get it Nickel replated, since I don't think I could replate it in gold and make back the investment by selling it... so it may become a razor for using, not collecting.

Also used Maas to touch up the Slim I have, the SS Flare Tip, and another nickel ball end tech I had previously worked on a little with Brasso, toothpaste, vinegar and baking soda, etc. The Maas helped all three to look shinier and cleaner. This stuff really does work. But I would caution anyone who is going to try to use it on a thinly-plated or spottily-plated razor to think twice.

Finally, I used Maas to clean off an old nickel-plated cigarette case/business card case I bought a couple of decades ago. It was badly tarnished, and dull looking. The Maas made it look as good -- maybe even better -- than new. I tried it on the head of a brass knife sharpener too, and it cleaned it up very well. Impressive stuff. May try it on an inexpensive straight razor I am going to send away for honing. A little of the Maas seems to go a long ways, too.

Darkbulb likes this.
  19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The majority of metal polishes should NOT be used on gold-plated razors....unless one wishes to remove it. ;)

20. Shotwell

Agreed... In this case, removing the gold on the head was an improvement. It was really gnarly looking. May just have it completely chemically stripped. Or use it as my "I don't give a darn if the TSA confiscates it" travel razor for the overnight trips where I'm not checking a bag.