Homebrewed, hacked, and upcycled

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by Shotwell, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

Thought I'd start a mini-show & tell here. I've discovered in addition to my new found addiction to buying/restoring/using vintage razors, I also have a love of repurposing things to enhance the experience -- or at least to modify some gear I already have at hand to satisfy my need to "tweak" things. At least until I can find a more suitable replacement ;)

So, in that spirit, I'm going to post a few things I've cobbled together or customized, and hope you'll share your own inventions, hacks, "almost million-dollar ideas" and homebrews. Whether they are hardware or software, soaps or cases, razor racks or blade banks.

I'll start, below.

Peter Cupitt and macaronus like this.
  2. Shotwell

Here's one of my first homebrews. It's soap I made from some rosemary essential oil I had here, a few drops of pure Mexican vanilla, a few drops of glycerin and a couple of pucks of Williams mug soap.

I made three versions of this. One "plain" (which I melted into a simple camp drinking mug), another version where I used Bath & Body Works White Citrus Eau du Cologne instead of the rosemary oil (in a tea canister from Teavana) and a third version with extra rosemary, in a travel tea tin I got years ago from the Art of Tea. All three soaps turned out pretty good, considering I invested a grand total of $3 and change for the soap pucks and the repurposed everything else including the containers.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410667513.339973.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410667527.389437.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410667542.640719.jpg

macaronus, Adonis and GDCarrington like this.
  3. Shotwell

Not much to see here. But the little container in the photo is a combination of Clear Head after shave treatment from Head Blade along with some White Citrus Eau du Cologne from Bath and Body Works, in about an 8:1 ratio. Made for a very light, clean citrus aftershave that my wife seems to like (and she's picky about scents). I may buy more of the Clear Head, just to be able to create more of this with the remaining Eau du Cologne.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410667763.577760.jpg

Here's the Eau du Cologne I used for this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410667793.097022.jpg

macaronus, Adonis and GDCarrington like this.
  4. Shotwell

Here's a straight "upcycle." I found a piece of pottery at a Salvation Army store for $2.99 and thought it was a beautiful little bowl to use for soap. Not sure if the pottery mark on the side is indicative of the pottery company who threw this piece but I liked it partly because the mark reminded me of a safety razor.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410668029.483799.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410668043.918183.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410668061.436149.jpg

5. Shotwell

This one is pretty simple. Made a blade bank from a Twining's tea tin by cutting and polishing a slot with the cutting wheel of a dremel.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410668184.895714.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410668196.979761.jpg

6. Shotwell

And, my most recent hack - a travel case for my vintage Gillette Travel Tech, made from an Altoids tin and some packaging foam (courtesy of Dish Network, unbeknownst to them) that I cut with a razor knife into the interior of the case with cutouts for the three pieces of the razor (no place for blades, since I'd likely pack those separately).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410668515.641721.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410668525.492272.jpg

7. Shotwell

Come on, no one has anything to offer by way of reply (with pics)? Was hoping this thread would grow and give me (and others) some ideas to fuel the imagination! :)

Peter Cupitt likes this.
  8. Mikefoster75

Mikefoster75 New Member

Now I have to get a travel tech, that is a great idea

Shotwell likes this.
  9. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

I really like this. I've been toying with the idea of making my own soap. Maybe I'll pull the trigger this weekend :)

Shotwell likes this.
  10. Peter Cupitt

Peter Cupitt robe-wearing whale shaver

OHH MAANNN .......... I just found this great thread and hope to see it become much greater with involvement, BUT I'm at work right now :sad024:
    I love simple repurposing as well as full on design and construction of hand made items.
    Additions there will be :yoda Greatness will be felt in the force

Shotwell likes this.
  11. Peter Cupitt

12. Peter Cupitt

Shotwell likes this.
  13. Shotwell

This one isn't exactly a hack... It's more repurposing something designed for another use :

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411186551.647820.jpg

Bought this from Amazon yesterday to use as a razor display rack. Several reviewers said they used it for DE razors with excellent results.

Bought it here: Premium Wooden Test Tube Rack, (12) 22mm Holes, 16.75"
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I13ZOUO/?tag=thshde-20

Darkbulb likes this.
  14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Great DIY projects here.

Btw, when you get that rack from Amazon post some photos of how it looks with razors in it - I'd be a little concerned about the height as to how well it will fit longer handled razors.

15. Shotwell

Will do!

Darkbulb likes this.
  16. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I like your use of the tea tin. For safety, may I suggest you glue the top shut.

17. Shotwell

Glue what, precisely? Not sure I follow.

18. Shotwell

So the test tube rack from Amazon arrived today. Woot!

Here's a photo.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411259320.241198.jpg

Next comes the real test... With razors in it.

19. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I think a lot of people when they do something like these blade banks consider them to be disposable once they are full (granted in a couple of years from now) and will glue any lid/top so that it's safe to throw it away when it's full. May be a good idea unless of course in 2016 you decide to transfer the blades to another container for final disposal :)

20. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Very nice. Please put a wide variety in there if you have - with various heads/handle lengths.