My New Exec Plated by RazorPlate

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Herm2502, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Very nice indeed!

Herm2502 likes this.
  2. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Thanks to this thread, I went searching on the bay for an exec. Lucky for me I just snagged one. I have my fingers crossed that it will clean up nice....thanks for enabling..lol

3. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Hope yours is good, I think gold razors look sweet. In this case I purchased mine very early in my DE "career" and immediately sent it off to Chris for plating without really looking at it. (Something I always do now when buying on eBay). Anyway, I didn't notice was how out-of-whack this razor is. While she looks wonderful the head is bent so that the blade gap on one side is nearly double the other. So, set on 6 the one side is comparable to about 12 or 13. Major "rookie" mistake. I should have sent it back to the seller, but it was to late. Chris pointed out the problem, but I told him to proceed with the plating. When I got it back I shaved with it once...what an adventure that was. Luckily, Chris recommended someone who can fix it so it's been shipped out again. Live and learn.

BigMark and Boojum1 like this.
  4. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Congrats, do you have any pictures?

5. JR Reyes

No pics yet. I just paid for it today. But once it arrives I will do before and after shots and share.

Herm2502, Slow Joe and Boojum1 like this.
  6. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

Very nice.

7. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

What does he charge for doing one in gold?

8. Herm2502

Gold is $62, nickle is $35, rhodium I'm not sure. Check his website: Www.razorplate.com

9. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

Thanks!

10. JR Reyes

Okay, my Gillette Executive came in today, and I was impressed with the initial overall condition. I used some scrubbing bubbles and a toothbrush to clean what little residue was still inside, and I really like how it turned out. The listing was advertised as "Fabulous Gold Tone Vintage Gillette Razor", so I don't think people knew it was an executive. The images were blurry and the poor lighting made it look like it had significant plate loss. I still rolled the dice, and got extremely lucky because this thing is sweet. It holds a permanent position in my collection. This is a razor I plan on passing down to my little ones. And now for the Pics....

BEFORE:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AFTER: Along side the other 2 vintage Gillette adjustables that I scored this month. I normally shave on dial setting 7, but when I took this picture I realized it was 777, which made me feel like I hit the JACKPOT!! Thanks for looking.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Herm2502

Very nice. Your Exec looks in much better shape than mine was. My gold plating was very faint, almost gone. Very nice collection! If you get tired of any, just send 'em my way!

12. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Very nice! Looks like you had a busy month, congrats:eatdrink047:

13. Herm2502

Got my '58 Exec back yesterday all tweaked, repaired and better than new! Shaved with it today and it was one sweet ride! No irritation, smooth face. I'm a happy camper!

Now my '58 fat boy will be off to Chris for some special treatment. Gonna plate it as a "Black Handle Super Fat Boy" with a rhodium head and TTO knob and a black chrome handle and adjustment dial!

ObiDon likes this.
  14. JR Reyes

I'm glad you enjoyed your exec. What dial setting did you go with? I have seen a few custom fatboys with that stealth color scheme. I hope it turns out nice for you. Looking forward to those pics when its all done.

15. Herm2502

Thanks! The black handle will be shiny..chrome-like, only black.

I do the WTG first pass on 7. Then I dial it back to 4 to finish. Two shaves with the Exec so far, both smooth, comfortable and absolutely no feedback with my aftershave (which has alcohol).

16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

The restored razors look fantastic.

17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  18. Herm2502

Chris at Razor Plate also plated this Tech for me in nickel. It was in sad shape and Chris discovered that it had 2 layers of old plating. Once stripped Chris discovered the original Gillette logo etched on the head and managed to save it.

upload_2014-10-8_22-4-20.jpeg

upload_2014-10-8_22-5-11.jpeg

upload_2014-10-8_22-5-33.jpeg

Attached Files:

Sevenbark, Tattoobob, Boojum1 and 2 others like this.
  19. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

That came out fantastic! Enjoy!:eatdrink047:

Herm2502 likes this.
  20. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Chris did a great job on your Tech. He confirmed. He now does two Black Chrome finishes. Dark & Light.

Herm2502 likes this.