Homebrewed, hacked, and upcycled

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by Shotwell, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

Ohh. I thought the tea tin reference was to the ones I used as soap containers. Forgot about the blade bank. And yes, I actually was planning to glue it since I get new tins like these (with tea) a few times a year. I agree completely... This was meant to be a disposable version.

Though not nearly as redneck as the PBR version I've seen up for auction on the 'Bay.

2. Shotwell

It's not a perfect solution. Works just fine for shorter models like the Flare Tip, Fatboy, Slim Adjustable, MTO/Weishi, Ball End Tech, and the JunJie. But the Kronos are slightly too long and the Lord L6 is definitely too long to fit as is.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411260793.496125.jpg

Left to Right: Krona, Flare Tip, Tech, Fatboy, MTO, Lord L6, Krona, Slim, JunJie, Flare Tip, Krona.

That said, there is enough depth in the base that if I drill out the indentations through the base, each of these razors would fit just fine. See below.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411260957.122926.jpg
    Fig. 2, holding the head flush with the top to show depth of the base.

So... I may either drill the base out for each indentation to make it uniform, or I may decide to only keep the shorter models in this rack.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411261251.631781.jpg
    Fig. 3, just the shorter model razors.

The other option, I suppose, would be to cut the center of the base completely out, but I don't think that would be as attractive.

So either something like this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411261966.759233.jpg

Or like this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411261988.979556.jpg

My RAD tells me that maybe I should get a separate smaller rack that I could drill out for the longer razors. And then the OCD part of me would insist, of course, that I find four more short razors (or 7 more *vintage* short razors) to make everything symmetrical in the 12-hole rack. ;)

3. Shotwell

Also, anything asymmetrical (an SE, for example) doesn't hang right. In case you were wondering.

4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Thanks, great photos!

Shotwell likes this.
  5. Peter Cupitt

Peter Cupitt robe-wearing whale shaver

Love the idea and the thinking behind improving it. Great work :signs107:

Shotwell likes this.
  6. Shotwell

The best news is that even in its imperfect state, it has opened up room in the medicine cabinet :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411264770.699664.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411264781.047901.jpg

7. Peter Cupitt

Peter Cupitt robe-wearing whale shaver

NIIICCCCEEE :)

8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Glue the lid onto the body of the tin.

Shotwell likes this.