L'Occitane Plisson discontinued?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Darkbulb, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I heard rumors a few days ago that the new almost cult-status L'Occitane Plisson brush had been discontinued. Apparently the 10,000 initial production order is drying up.

This morning I was also unable to find it on their homepage.

Anyone know if it's really being phased out?

I had been curious to try this apparently super-soft and well performing brush.

Llyr likes this.
  2. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

You should. It's awesome =D

Llyr likes this.
  3. Omelmad

But I have no new info for you

Llyr likes this.
  4. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

Never heard about this brush before, so I searched the local webshop and located it there. The price was about $95 and apparently it is a fibre brush.
    I do not know what I feel about fibre brushes, especially for this price. But do you think it is worth it?

Llyr likes this.
  5. Omelmad

It was a bit cheaper in Sweden. I got it from my girlfriend but I really love it =) very soft tips but it still has nice backbone. Its a very good brush, but I dont have other synthetics to compare it with

Llyr and Norseman like this.
  6. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

It was discontinued some time ago but you can still get synthetics from Plisson and some of their vendors. Of course the cost is higher....

GDCarrington and Llyr like this.
  7. Omelmad

Good thing I got mine =)

Llyr and Bobcat like this.
  8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

There seems to still be some stock in stores here in the US and it's selling at $55

Norseman and Llyr like this.
  9. woodworker

woodworker Active Member

I paid $55 + tax for mine as well. Nice brush and was my first fiber. Since then I also got a Muhle. That's it though, no more... :signs002:

10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Yes. It was phased out when Plisson decided to integrate that knot into their higher priced handles.

JRod22 likes this.
  11. Inverted

Inverted Member

Is it worth buying? I actually saw it tonight in store...

12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

It's still available in some stores. I found one in my local L'Occitane store today:

[​IMG]

I must say though this may work great for bowl lathering but feeling it I got some serious doubts that it would make a good face lathering brush for me.
    Incredibly soft though.

13. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

If backbone is an issue, I heard the same knot type can be found in the grooming co. Brush, and it has shorter loft as well as larger knot diameter. I know bullgoose carries them, and Ive seen a few on other BST threads post them for sale. Just a FYI.

Darkbulb likes this.
  14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

That is interesting...I wonder how close the knot is to the L'Occitane Plisson apart from the difference in backbone.
    [​IMG]

L'Occitane Plisson:
    [​IMG]

15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Actually, looks like someone already did that comparison :)

Looks fantastic - the only two things I'm not sure about is that small handle and the much more rounded dome shape.

Comparison video #2:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  16. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Yup...thats the guy! I know a couple gents who own both and say its the same synthetic fiber. Its all a matter of backbone. Im not a fan of splay, so my vote would go to the shorter one.

17. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Thanks for bringing it up. Looks like a really interesting brush that already have quite the following.
    Apparently it's a company out of Brazil (Brazuca GroCo ?) that makes them and the way they got introduced to a lot of people over here were - believe or not - from people's SOTD photos where these 'mystery brushes' started popping up... Not much later they got imported to the US and have apparently won people over by that extra backbone (more dense than the Plisson one) but while still retaining the super soft tip.

Measurements:
    Total height:95mm
    Loft Height: 52mm
    Handle height: 43mm
    Base diameter: 35mm
    Knot diameter: 25mm

Some reviews:
    Review 1
    Review 2

18. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

So I was walking through the Detroit airport today to make a connection and saw a L'Occitane store so I stopped in. The only brush they had on display was the travel brush so I asked if they had the Plisson one. Sure enough in the drawer they had 4 or 5 of them at the normal $55 price. I grabbed one :) We'll see how it goes in the morning but it feels very nice.

Omelmad likes this.
  19. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Do post a review when you get the chance :)

Omelmad likes this.
  20. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession