What is the slickest soap?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by markjnewcomb, Sep 20, 2014.

1. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I am working on my soap mix and am looking to find the soap that has tremendous slickness. It should also have a light or non-existent scent. Frankly, I don't care if it lathers worth a darn, or has any cushioning, I am just interested in the slickest soap out there.

Right now, I am using Van Der Hagen (VDH), which is extremely slick, but would love to hear any other suggestions.

2. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Arko! It has a non existent scent when aired out a few months. And it can keep up with anything.

3. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I Love MWF and Craftsman.

cubancigar2000 likes this.
  4. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

You can always make a favourite lather a little slicker by just increasing the hydration a bit, within reason of course. That said, the Celle Extra Extra Purissima has been a great soap for me, and I'm sure the Mitchell's will be excellent with a straight as well, it's just that I haven't used any since May or so. Valobra, Vitos, Pannacrema, Cold River, and a couple of the Razorock soaps have been remarkable as well.

The word around the water cooler is that the Cremo cream is some wickedly slick stuff too. Not a soap obviously, but if slickness is paramount, it may be worth checking out. Plus it's probably on the shelf at your local drugstore or Wally World or wherever.

BigMark likes this.
  5. BardicDruid

BardicDruid Active Member

Give Stirling Soap a try, it's real slick and easy to lather, and they have unscented, and it's inexpensive.

SRNewb and Razor Blade X like this.
  6. ZinZan

ZinZan Member

Stirling to me is the slickest soap, but my favourite has to be haslinger schamiff at the moment although not as slick as Stirling.

SRNewb and Razor Blade X like this.
  7. Razor Blade X

Razor Blade X Active Member

Stirling "Naked and Smooth" it's the slickest you'll get, the cheapest, the slimyest... if this is about cuts dieing shaves... soften up your hand.

8. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Proraso is pretty slick, but never tried Stirling so I can't really compare.

9. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

I like to add a bit of glycerin to any soap when it needs help in the slick & smooth department.
    I find it at Walgreens for not much and just a few ounces goes a long way.

If you are strictly looking for a soap, then I think an excellent one is Imperial Barber Products glycerin shave soap.

glycerin-shave-face-puck-soap-230x187.jpg

If you hold back on the water just a bit, you get a super thick creamy slick lather that rivals
    any soap I've ever used.
    It's the only soap other than Tabac I'll use when attempting to shave with a straight razor.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
    BigMark likes this.
  10. markjnewcomb

Thanks, folks. That gives me some ideas. BTW - I don't want to use liquid glycerin because it makes my mix thinner than I like.

11. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

For me, Jabonman, especially Manuel's Eastern Breeze formulation.

Ed

markjnewcomb likes this.
  12. Silverirae

Silverirae Active Member

Stirling is very slick, but for some reason it lights me up like a Christmas tree. That being said MWF is very hard to beat in terms of slickness and face feel.

13. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

Id say the slickest I had is a very old vintage Gibbs stick.. But thats my 2cents..

markjnewcomb likes this.
  14. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Which VDH are you using?

Since slickness like many thing shave related is a YMMV thing and how you make up your lather(water to soap ratio) affects how slick the lather comes out, you may just have to try a number of soaps, to see which one works best for you and with your lathering technique.. :shaver

I've used Creamo, but didn't care for it, it is cheap however and locally available...Like fram773 I find Arko has a nice slickness to it(I use it daily) although at least at first it does have a somewhat strong smell(but since I like the smell it's NP for me). It's been a while since I've used it, but as I remember it Razorock(Classic and Cacoa) was pretty slick also.

Hope this helps you some..:happy088:

15. markjnewcomb

I am using "deluxe shave soap". I am not worried in the least about lathering or cushioning because I am mixing with other soaps that are great in those areas.

16. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Have you ever tried VDH glycerin soap? I'm pretty sure the extra glycerin will add a lot of slickness to your mix or even just adding a little straight glycerin to the other soaps. :) Are the other soaps tallow or melt and pour like the VDH?

markjnewcomb likes this.
  17. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

IMO Stirling

SRNewb and markjnewcomb like this.
  18. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

Tabac. Oh! And the RazoRock tallow products.

Edit: AVOID TABAC AT ALL COSTS! TABAC VERY MUCH SCENT-ABLE!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
    tuxxdk and markjnewcomb like this.
  19. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Tabac and light/non-existstant scent can't be put together :)

20. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

Stirling Soap & Razorock Croaps.