New to The Den and forums in general...

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Greg F., Oct 20, 2014.

1. Greg F.

Greg F. Well-Known Member

Hey everybody. I'm new to this whole forum thing. This is the first discussion board I've ever signed up for. Not exactly sure how I learned about the whole wet shaving world, but I'm glad I did! Just placed my order yesternight and am anxiously awaiting my stuff so I can see what it's all about.

As far as what I've ordered:

Edwin Jagger DE89lbl
    Edwin Jagger best badger brush
    Taylor of Old Bond St. Sandalwood cream
    Pinaud Clubman A/S
    Pinaud Bay Rum A/S
    35 blade sample pack including Derby, Astra, Feather, Gillette, etc. to see what my face/technique likes the best.

Again, just wanted to say hey even though I'm sure there's already a thread for new members to post in, but I couldn't find it.

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Welcome! off to a great start! I hope you enjoy it here, and this was a fine way to start.

Greg F. and Silverirae like this.
  3. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

4. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Greetings Greg! Welcome to the Shave Den. You can learn a lot here and have fun too.

Greg F., Silverirae and Bama Samurai like this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Hi Greg! Welcome to TSD! Please sign up for the Newbie Give-Away HERE
    You've got some nice gear coming, the EJDE89 is a nice razor! And you can't go wrong with TOBS. Again, Welcome!
    Kerry

Greg F., Silverirae and Bama Samurai like this.
  6. Silverirae

Silverirae Active Member

Great looking starter kit there. Welcome aboard !

Greg F. and Bama Samurai like this.
  7. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

You've come to the right place, we know everything about shaving..:D Here's a couple of vids to get you
    started..

Welcome aboard!

Tattoobob, Bama Samurai and Greg F. like this.
  8. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Welcome.

Bama Samurai and Greg F. like this.
  9. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

10. R.D.Nelson

R.D.Nelson Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den. Very nice order you have placed. Hope you enjoy them when they arrive.

Bama Samurai and Greg F. like this.
  11. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Welcome to the den. I hope you enjoy it here

Greg F. likes this.
  12. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD "Greg F."

Your in the exact correct place. You have a very nice first kit coming, I started with an EJ89, it's a wonderful razor. I'm glad to see you have a large blade sample pack coming also, those are really critical when first starting out. The more different blades you can try, especially in the beginning, the better for finding the blade/blades that best fit your face and technique. I'm a Pinuad fan also, I use the Original, Lilac Vegital(The Veg) and VI Bay Rum. The Bay Rum will really let you know when your technique or blade is off, it BURNS like napalm on an irritated face. :)

Greg F. likes this.
  13. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Welcome Greg!

Greg F. likes this.
  14. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Since you are new to the Traditional Shaving world, here is the advice I received when I started with a DE and so I freely give it to new users. The most important things in shaving are, your skin and technique. All other things fall in line behind those two things and to support them. Since the skin is a given fixed item, the next major item is technique. It is called THE 30 DAY RULE.

THE 30 DAY RULE is as follows: Find a razor, then a blade that will not cause issues with your skin (that may take a few different blades in a sampler pack to find a suitable choice or it maybe the first out of the gate) and select a soap or cream that is easy to generate good lather. Once you find those, and it may take a couple of weeks to find this combination, order a quantity of that blade enough for 30 days, and then spend 30 days using nothing else until you build up your technique. (Note that only one brand blade is used for 30 days after each blade in the sampler pack is tested to make the decision on the blade brand to use for 30 days.) The 30 day clock starts when you have the right blade for you.

After 30 days, change one and only one variable and work for another week then change another after another week. At that point you should be able to make better decisions because your technique is now in place.

This will help you to avoid buying too much gear and stuff too soon without having the technique down to enjoy it all.

This really does work.

Oh and one more thing ...

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

Greg F. and Bama Samurai like this.
  15. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den! This is a great place for your first forum experience. Exceedingly friendly and knowledgeable people here.

Greg F. likes this.
  16. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Welcome. Looks like you're diving right in. Enjoy

Greg F. likes this.
  17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

We look forward to reading more posts from you, Greg! Welcome to TSD!

Greg F. likes this.
  18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    welcome.jpg

Greg F. likes this.
  19. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Den!

Greg F. likes this.
  20. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

Greg, it looks like you picked some great gear to start with! Welcome to the Den! I'm sure your learning curve will be greatly aided by the help you can get from perusing this forum. I have learned at least one encyclopedia volume's worth of information just since I joined less than a month ago... the guys (and gals) here are great!

Greg F. likes this.