The Haul: October 2014

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by RaZorBurn123, Sep 30, 2014.

1. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

BigMark likes this.
  2. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

Mail Call!
    I finally have a Birth Quarter Fatboy! 1959 E4
    Shaved with it this morning. Started off with a 5 setting and a Gillette Silver Blue blade. It did very well. Now... tell me a couple of things, experts...
    Is the closest setting 1 or 9? Also, is it best to set the closeness setting before cranking the doors closed or is it safe to do so after you tighten it up for shaving?
    Isn't she pretty?
    2014-10-23 06.17.10-s.jpg

dscaver, Tattoobob, Shotwell and 10 others like this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Dang! That's one nice razor…despite its considerable AGE! ;)

The settings are about blade exposure (aggressiveness), so if you can get a close, comfortable shave at 1-4, theres no need to keep dialing it up. Sometime there are diminishing returns (razor razor, bloodshed) if you open the razor up. Your face will let you know its preferred setting better than anyone here can tell you.
    Enjoy, Kev!

youngunn and Boojum1 like this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Nice birth year razor you young whipper-snapper. Happy shaves...

Tattoobob likes this.
  5. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

6. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

Always do the adjustments with the razor open. Trying to adjust with the razor locked down could cause damage to the mechanism. Nice Razor. I run my Adjustables (FatBoy, Super Adjustable & Slim at "9".

Jayaruh, BigMark and Radiotube like this.
  7. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

Thanks, Roderick! I was thinking I heard that somewhere (about the order in which you do things... adjust prior to lockdown).

SO.... for clarification purposes then (because I still can't quite tell for sure from the responses) the 1 setting is the least aggressive and the 9 setting is the most aggressive, right?

8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Right! 1 is mild. 9 is very aggressive. Open silo doors when adjusting. I find 7 is a good number for ME. You have a beauty! Enjoy!

Roderick and Radiotube like this.
  9. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

Thanks, RaZorBurn123! I used 5 and got a fairly close shave. I may venture to 7 tomorrow.

Jayaruh, youngunn and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  10. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

You and me both. I would recommend this as well. Try using a "Smoother" blade at the higher settings. While I have not yet used my FB, in my old Slim a Red was wonderful at 9 but a Lab wasn't so nice.

Jayaruh and Radiotube like this.
  11. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Very Nice and congrats on the BQ razor.

Jayaruh and Radiotube like this.
  12. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Guess I need to post some of my October purchases before November gets here.

oct2.jpg

A couple weeks ago I picked up the little talc bottle on the right for a dollar along with a couple other OS bottles (nothing special, just AS and Cologne 1993 vintage) and it took me awhile to figure out what it was because of the size. I finally discovered that it came from a traveler or gift set probably from the 1950's.
    Well, lo and behold, I stumbled on a traveler set today complete with talc and aftershave.
    Got the mug and the traveler set for $12
    The Slim I picked up earlier this week (not because I needed another one) because it was only five bucks and it cleaned up real nice.

oct3.jpg oct4.jpg

Looking at the bottles it's obvious the set I picked up today is much newer than the talc bottle I got a couple weeks ago.
    Too bad I have dry skin and don't use talc.

13. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

what date code is the slim?

14. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

15. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

I got a score from an antique store today...

These are razors #19, 20, & 21 in my collection... Hello my name is Timothy and I have a razor problem.

1930s Gillette NEW Ball Handle - (??Palmolive/Colgate promotional razor??), $10

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1946-48 Valet AutoStrop VC4 "Runner-guard" model, $10

(I spent 30 minutes modifying a standard SE blade to fit this, I'm impatient lol)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1952 Gillette Super Speed Black Tip, $10

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shoe shine box with 6 tins of polish, 4 shine brushes and 2 applicator brushes, $1.75 (that's A GREAT DEAL)

I was looking at the Mr. Razor id pictures and concluded that my NEW is the promotional giveaway razor, where if you bought shave soap from Palmolive or Colgate you got this razor for free.... On mine the patent numbers are on the band closest to the head, upside down. On the standard NEW, it seemed like the patents were on the bottom band, right side up. Almost like they had a big run of improperly assembled handles and decided to give them away.

Am I delusional?

Anyways, not bad for 30 bucks I'd say.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
    Jayaruh, Tattoobob, Radiotube and 5 others like this.
  16. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Dannnnngg

Wish I could find straights like that in my area. All the ones I keep finding are trash and people want 30 bucks for them because straights are "hip" right now... That wosty is to die for

17. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Nice find! Can't get enough Old Spice. That old Talc bottle is from the 1950s and you may have noticed that the ship is sailing to the right. That was only done on the early talc bottles. Rare find in good condition with the top and washer. Cool!

18. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Very nice FB! And yes open the doors before you adjust the settings. Also note that you are adjusting the blade gap and the blade angle when you change settings. This is another reason to only make adjustments with the doors open. If adjusted with the doors closed depending on the direction say 1 to 9 you can torque the inner workings, which over time would be bad. Enjoy the best razor IMHO you can use on a daily basis.:eatdrink047:

Radiotube and youngunn like this.
  19. John Beeman

I did not notice what direction the ship was sailing. Thanks for the info.
    I almost didn't get it because the vendor hadn't put any prices on the three OS bottles he had in his booth. Fortunately while I was perusing the rest of the store one of the employees was able to contact the vendor and get pricing otherwise they wouldn't have been able to sell the items.
    It's exciting to know I got a rare one.

ObiDon likes this.
  20. John Beeman

I think it's an H3 (without looking).
    I picked up an H2 a few weeks ago for $10 and sold it to a friend, I picked up an I1 several weeks ago for $10 only to discover the base plate is slightly bent, a K1 last month for $2 that's mechanically good but the finish is worn, and the one I use is a J3 that I got down in your neck of the woods (Lakeland) last December for a whopping $20.