Thinking about a whipped dog....

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Joelio, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

so I want to order a new brush, and I'm thinking big. Like 30mm big. I know Larry over at WD offers boar, black badger and silvertip in that size for a great price. I have a 24mm synth from him a love it, it's my go to for travel and when I don't have time to shower before my shave. Super soft, great backbone, dries in seconds!

I have an Omega 10049, so I don't need another big hog, but I can't decide between the black badger and the Silvertip.

I'm leaning towards black for a few reasons: I have a 26mm Liojuny Silvertip that is my favorite general use brush. Soft, good size knot. I also face lather and like the Omega I have for the srubbiness of it, but I also enjoy my super soft Silvertip so I feel like the black badger might be a good middle ground between the two. And finally, the Black is $30 and the Silvertip is $44. Is there any reason I should double up on my silverips?

I'm also thinking I'm going to have Larry drill it "deep" so it has a little bit shorter loft.

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Flip a coin. I love my WD Silvertip.

JPJ and Slow Joe like this.
  3. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

You can't go wrong if you get a WD Brush. Here is a picture of my WD Silvertip

WD01_zpsad91d9c8.jpg

Tattoobob, Herm2502 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  4. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

Is that a 30mm deep drilled?

5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I have a WD silvertip too. His brushes are high quality & prices are good. I didn't need any customization, but folks say he is very good about that, if it is something you want.

Slow Joe likes this.
  6. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Whipped Dog 30/65mm Silver Tip Badger Black&White Marbled Resin Handle * {My Preferred Brush}

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

20141018_094749-1-1.jpg love mine
    used today
    mine is 26/45

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
    figment714 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  8. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

My WD silvertip was a real game changer for me. Began my obsession with badger brushes. My size preference is a bit small though leaning towards 20-22mm. Pick one up and let us know how you like it.

Slow Joe likes this.
  9. ZinZan

ZinZan Member

That's my 22mm silvertip awesome brush

Attached Files:

10. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

This is my WD 30/45 Silvertip I used today. This is a pic for reference of size. I use mostly creams except for Cella, and it whips up lather great in a bowl. Good backbone because of the deep set. Larry at WD will set it as deep as you want. I like the big knot because being deep set is does not flare out as much as a full 55 loft. The WD Silvertip is great on your face.
    image.jpg

Slow Joe likes this.
  11. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

I went ahead and ordered a 30mm Black badger in the blue resin handle. I don't know if I want to set it deep or not.... My 26mm Liojuny Silvertip is a 55mm loft too and it's great. I know Larry says on his website that he only recommends the deep set for the silvertip

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  12. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

Congrats! You'll love it. Just drop Larry an email. Tell him your preferences and he'll point you in the right direction. He is super quick at getting back to you. His email is on the site.

13. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

I can see why Larry only recommends setting the Silvertip deep, as it is really packed, so a different knot may end up to scratchy.

14. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Think I'm going to order one. I've been thinking about it for a while.

Do they shed a lot?

15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I have two. Neither shed. Both excellent brushes for the money.

theFAT98 likes this.
  16. zec668

zec668 Well-Known Member

I personally found that I didn't like the extra drilling to stiffen the bristles, but to each their own. I felt it made the bristles too dense and harder to use consequently.

17. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

I decided not to get it deep set. My Silvertip is the 55mm loft and it's not a problem. As long as it's not as high a loft as my Omega 10049, that brush is a skyscraper and tends to feel like a paintbrush at times! I still use it on firmer soaps since it's pretty stiff, even broken in.

I just sent the payment over to Larry for my 30mm Black badger. I can't wait!

18. zec668

zec668 Well-Known Member

They definitely make quality brushes! Enjoy!

19. Bowler Mike

Bowler Mike Well-Known Member

I received my 22mm 48mm silver tip last week from WD. I really like it.

image.jpg

ObiDon and JRod22 like this.
  20. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

Got my new brush today!! To help mitigate the typical new badger brush stink, I washed it with some baby soap. Here are some pictures pre- and post-bloom!! This this is awesome! I can't wait to use it with some actual shave soap!
    image.jpg image.jpg

Tattoobob, ObiDon and BigMark like this.