New to the forum, long time shaver

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Muffinhead, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Muffinhead

Muffinhead Well-Known Member

I have used nothing but plastic razors ever since I first started shaving 45 years ago. I have never had an electric that was worth anything, so I have decided to go retro and go for a DE. Besides, $35 for 12 cartridges vs $20 for 100 blades, the decision to switch to DE is as much a financial decision as it is an esthetic one.

There are so many things to decide on. What razor, which blades, what brush, soap or cream? Yikes, I am overwhelmed, but I am certain that I will get some good advice on this forum.

So far I am thinking about a Mercur 38C Barber Pole or an Edwin Jagger DE89bl.

BigT, Bama Samurai, Boojum1 and 3 others like this.
  2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Hello and welcome to The Shave Den! You will find some great fellowship and wet shaving advice here. I have a Muhle R89, which is very similar to the DE89 you are considering. It has been a great razor for me.

Oh, and the longer you stick around here, the more money you will save! :rofl:

Bama Samurai likes this.
  3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

welcome
    both fine choices
    tons of good advice round here.
    a lot to sink in.
    start with some things you can get near you.
    van der hagen makes a pretty good starter set.
    and it is probably at the local drug store.
    I personally liked their boar over their badger. the boar is in the basic, green box.
    the soap is nice.
    from there the possibilities are tremendous.
    ask often, folks here like to help.
    share your results, and have fun.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  4. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Bama Samurai likes this.
  5. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Hi! Welcome to TSD! Glad you found us! :) may I suggest the Edwin Jagger DE89, a blade sample pack, and a red tub of Cella along with an Omega 10066 boar, or a Semogue 1305. Happy Shaving!
    Kerry

Bama Samurai and Omelmad like this.
  7. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den!

Bama Samurai likes this.
  8. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Great suggestion! I would like to add that the red Proraso soft shave soap is a nice starter soap as well. Its easy to lather and it have nice post shave feeling because it contains shea butter. I have never gotten bad lather from Proraso red.

You might wanna try some creams as well. In that case I would suggest betting The body shop Maca root shave cream. In my opinion its absolutely awesome!

Bama Samurai and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Since you are new to the Double Edge world, here is the advice I received when I started with a DE and so I freely give it to new users. The most important things in shaving are, your skin and technique. All other things fall in line behind those two things and to support them. Since the skin is a given fixed item, the next major item is technique. It is called THE 30 DAY RULE.

THE 30 DAY RULE is as follows: Find a razor, then a blade that will not cause issues with your skin (that may take a few different blades in a sampler pack to find a suitable choice or it maybe the first out of the gate) and select a soap or cream that is easy to generate good lather. Once you find those, and it may take a couple of weeks to find this combination, order a quantity of that blade enough for 30 days, and then spend 30 days using nothing else until you build up your technique. (Note that only one brand blade is used for 30 days after each blade in the sampler pack is tested to make the decision on the blade brand to use for 30 days.) The 30 day clock starts when you have the right blade for you.

After 30 days, change one and only one variable and work for another week then change another after another week. At that point you should be able to make better decisions because your technique is now in place.

This will help you to avoid buying too much gear and stuff too soon without having the technique down to enjoy it all.

This really does work.

Oh and one more thing ...

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

Bama Samurai likes this.
  10. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD "Muffinhead"

There are alot of choices in the beginning, so just take your time and do your research. For the most part no choice is bad, but some will be better for you than others, only your face can tell you which is which. :)
    Both of your safety razor choices are good. I started with an EJ89 myself and so have a preference for that one. Also check out the Sabi, Cadet and Maggard razors. They are also considered decent razors. For me the Cadet OC is stellar. Which ever razor you choose, do get as large a sample blade pack as you can afford. The more different blades you can try the better in your quest for the best blade for your face and technique.. :)

Here's a few inexpensive, locally available and worthwhile options, all of which I have used and/or I'm currently using:
    Soap: Van der Hagan Delux
    Cream: C.O Bigalow
    Brush: VDH offers both Boar and Badger
    Pre shave: I use Corn Huskers Lotion it works as well or better than the much more expensive preshaves, for me at least, and is dirt CHEAP :)
    Post shave: Nivea sensitive post shave balm

Just an FYI once you get situated "traditional" shaving is definitely more inexpensive than cart shaving. However that said "traditional" shaving "the hobby" can and probably will cost you a few bucks more, catching a case of the AD's can cost you, but you'll have ALOT of fun!! :happy102:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    Bama Samurai likes this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Welcome, Muffinhead!
    The Merkur 38c is a quality, easy-to-use ('user friendly') modern DE razor, and it's size and weight are a real bonus if you have larger hands. My FIRST modern DE razor, I think you'd be happy with one. I was. ;) THe EJ89 is no slouch as either razor will perform admirably.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bama Samurai and Boojum1 like this.
  12. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome. You have received some good advice. I too just started DE shaving and am currently in the middle of my "30 day rule" and can attest it appears to be great advice. Getting your technique down is the base to build upon. Focusing on my technique and not all the abundant options between razors, soaps, after shaves, etc seems to be helping a lot. However due to my acquisition disorder I am already stocking up on various items and having to wait to use them keeps me focused.
    The folks here are very knowledgable and willing to help don't be afraid to ask questions.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  13. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

:signs046: to The Shave Den. Glad to have you with us.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  14. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I use vintage so I cannot recommend either razor. Soap - Proraso, Brush - Omega, Blades - Sampler.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    welcome.jpg
    from Hendersonville, NC. Enjoy your stay.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  16. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

I too started wet shaving to save money. Then I found out there are about 1000 great soaps and creams.

Now I'm addicted. So welcome.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  17. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Welcome! I would vote Ej89, Proraso Red or Arko (never used Cella) and a blade sampler...The TSD store has a big blade sampler at a good price. YMMV, and all this will be individual to you. Once you've found a soap and blade, do the 30day rule...It's good advice. Master the tools.

Have fun and enjoy!

theFAT98 likes this.
  18. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Den!

Bama Samurai likes this.
  19. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Welcome to TSD! Happy Shavings!

Bama Samurai likes this.
  20. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member