Razor Burn - Relief Tips?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by dougkc, Oct 23, 2014.

1. dougkc

dougkc Member

Greetings! Recently I've been encountering some razor burn on both sides of my face. It's typically been a sensitive area but for the past couple weeks it's been pretty brutal. I'd love to get some feedback on what I can do differently.

I have had a change in soap from AOS Unscented Cream to DR Harris Lavender soap. I am getting great lathers with Harris. I wash, oil, lather, shave (WTG, XTG, ATG, Touch Up) cold rinse, witch hazel then finish with Nivea unscented balm. The skin is sore/tender the entire time between shaves. Having said that, I do apply some Nivea balm when I get home from work and that provides some relief.

Possible issues:

1. A lingering result of a bad shave. Might need to not shave for several days so it can heal.
    2. The change from cream to soap has caused an issue. This is the only thing that has changed. Logically it makes sense this could be the culprit. But again, I am getting some great lather out of my Harris soap.

Feel kind of weird posting a pic of my burn, but I thought it would be the easiest way to get some tips. The photo was taken about 30 minutes post shave.

Cheers!
    Doug

[​IMG]

2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

that it's caused by standing too close to the razor.
    excessive pressure on razor?

you may consider fewer passes, while using that soap.
    witch hazel for relief and skipping a shave or two

Spud, ObiDon, Boojum1 and 1 other person like this.
  3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

also,
    lather up, but no shave. see if you react to the soap alone.

4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Try skipping ATG if it's not the soap causing an allergy.

dougkc likes this.
  5. dougkc

dougkc Member

Thanks! After reading up on the forum since I posted (probably should have done that first), some possible changes to try are less pressure, go WTG/WTG/XTG instead of WTG/XTG/ATG, read up on cold water shaving and gently clean my face instead of scrubbing hard.

I like the tip of applying the lather and not shaving to see if I have a reaction. Great idea!

VedderLG likes this.
  6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Let the mass of the razor itself do the work, just glide it with no pressure. You will figure it out.

dougkc likes this.
  7. dougkc

dougkc Member

Thanks Bama. It seems like the no pressure shave shouldn't be so difficult but old habits die hard.

jakie55 and Bristle Me like this.
  8. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

I think you've got it:
    1) I would avoid shaving at all until this heals up
    2) during that time you can lather alone to see if it is a reaction. If it is worsening without shaving, you know the answer.
    3) No ATG. You can do WTG/WTG/XTG or just WTG/XTG once your healed. No pressure!
    4) cold water shaving was a huge benefit for my neck razor burn.

Change only one variable at a time or you won't know what worked or didn't.

BigMark likes this.
  9. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Looks similar to a reaction I had with Proraso White pre shave on my head. Took 2 or 3 days of using it to really show up. I stopped using for about a week then tried it again later just to be sure. Yep, happened again.

Tattoobob likes this.
  10. dougkc

dougkc Member

Just a follow up on my shave yesterday, which kicked butt.

1. Used KMF unscented. Haven't used this in a long time. Generated a killer lather with just one pump. Super slick.
    2. WTG/WTG/XTG.
    3. Used cold water to rinse the razor.
    4. Picked up some Barbasol Pacific Rush AS. Used that with a little Witch Hazel. Topped with Nivea Balm.

Result? Really close shave with no razor burn. I really paid attention to no pressure. I've never used a mentholated product before. I don't think one can quite prepare themselves for the feeling. After about 30 seconds, I wondered how I've lived without it for so long.

Since I changed more than one thing, I'm not sure which thing(s) cured the burn. It worked, and that's all that matters.

Thanks for the tips.

Bristle Me and macaronus like this.
  11. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

My guess is: it's the soap change. Since you didn't have any razor burn before you changed from AOS Unscented to Dr Harris Lavender. Since the KMF unscented didn't bother your face either the lavender in the DR Harris might be the culprit. I've heard/read before of people with razor burn when using lavender scented soap or cream.

12. dougkc

dougkc Member

Probably right and it bums me out. Lot's of great scents out there! Oh well...

macaronus likes this.
  13. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

If you like D.R. Harris lavender, but can't use it, then I suggest trying TOBS lavender. It is my favorite Lavender.

macaronus likes this.
  14. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

You can always place a lavender plant in the bathroom... ;)

15. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:happy096: on getting no burn. I'd think that paying attention to your pressure which also probably caused your angle to be better and more consistent throughout your shave, along with not going ATG had a lot to do with it. Although I've heard things about Harris Lavender not being so loving to some faces. :) You could bowl lather some Arko and give that a try. The smell is different, but it's gentle on my face and lathers very well for me.. :happy088:

macaronus likes this.
  16. Allen Whitney

Allen Whitney New Member

Hi Fun Seekers!

I had the same problem, a bad razor burn that left my face tender. Hope what helped me, helps you. It was more than one thing for me.
    First of all, I found I had to get the razors angle corrected. If you can feel or hear the blade scraping at all while you're are making a pass, know you are scraping some skin off. I held the razor at too low of an angel so the blade was too perpendicular to my face to cut. Once I lifted the handle the blade got more parallel to my face putting it in position to cut, not scrape. Imagine what a new, really sharp blade could do, scraping across your face, and you always try to use a new or sharp blade. I also found that different razors needed a little different angle to cut smoothly. I think it's not good for a newbie to change razors or blades. Keep as much of the variables as you can constant until you're a decent shaver .

I had burns where I shouldn't have problems. The only thing I could think of that would do that was too much pressure on the blade. If you want to enjoy your life and your shave, lighten up and don't take yourself or your shaving too seriously. * No Pressure - No Pain *.

Fixing my shaving problem while my face was tender was a big consideration, I had thought of not shaving for a while, but I like shaving. I read that old and dead skin makes the blade run rough and can spoil chances of a smooth (burnless) shave. So, the NIGHT BEFORE (so it had time to recover) I defoliated my face, with lotion and baking soda. I put lotion on my fingers and rolled them across the baking soda, then massaged my face - Very lightly. This is a very strong and harsh defoliant, so be gentle and don't do it too much. Wash your face gently.

Let it rest for a bit, then put one of your wife or girl friends pore cleaning masks on, let it dry and wash. That will clean your pore out and get rid of everything from the defoliation. Put a little lotion or a little coconut oil on and go to bed. Now you face is ready. (I've heard this should be done at least every week)

If you think your shaving soap may be a little lacking in protection or slipperiness, or your brush has too much back bone, perhaps a slight change could clear thing up. What I did was to do all the normal preparation, right up to and including "wet your face", now instead of lather, I put a little Sauve lotion on my moist face. It doesn't take much, rub it in gently make sure there is a thin film left on your face and remember it doesn't take much. NOW ......SHAVE !! Normally See below for following razor with fingers.

I like the Sauve because: the second ingredient after water is glycerin ; it's not loaded with chemicals; their vanilla fragrance is really nice; it's very smooth; and it's very inexpensive ($5 for 20oz.). Another thing I like to do is have a little lotion on the fingers of my non razor hand and feel along behind the razor as I go, and get an instant read out on how the shave is going. Sometimes, I will do another stroke or go across the grain, or clean up a bit. While it's moist, the lotion is smooth and that area ends up clean shaven. Your second pass is for finishing the chin the neck and a cleanup. Less passes, less irritation and lotion is smooth and soothing. Figure out the best way to get the job done in two passes. We do what we can and we don't have to apologize for our errors, we will pay.

I'm sure there are a lot of no-no's in here, but it worked for me when I had serious problems but I'm OK now ok, now Ok, now now.

macaronus likes this.
  17. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

My input, for me, is too much pressure. I have not had razor burn issues for many years.

Sharp blade+good lather+patience+let the razor do the work=nice shave.:happy093:

Ed

Bristle Me and ObiDon like this.
  18. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

For just one shave, use nothing but cold water for the entire shave.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  19. dougkc

dougkc Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I learned a lot!

After several shaves and tests, I have come to the conclusion that the DR Harris Lavender soap is the culprit. Unfortunately I have a half used DRH Lavender. uploadfromtaptalk1416422737365.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2014
  20. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Proraso Blue cream is far from un-scented.
    Big on aloe, big on smell.
    Not the kind of smell that would knock a buzzard off a gut wagon,
    but plenty strong.

It IS however, my absolute favorite cream to use in the winter.
    If you can hack the smell, and you have no reaction to the aloe,
    it is tops in skin care. No other cream even comes close.

Glad you were able to get it narrowed down to a single component. :)