Does anyone shave before showering?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Spud, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I almost always shave in the evening but the day before yesterday I decided to shave before work. Most tutorials suggest showering first but I decided to shave beforehand . I found the hot water to be soothing. As long as one applies an astringent and aftershave before finishing, I don't see how it makes any difference. Any thoughts?

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Having done both, I prefer to shower prior to shaving. It also allows time for good beard prep, face cleaning & hydration.
    I enjoy the invigorating splash of a good aftershave or balm immediately after a final rinse (post-shave), and this experience is lessoned when showering next.

ZinZan and Spud like this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

When I used a cart I shaved first, that was so I could let my face cool down from such a scraping. Now, shower first.

Omelmad and Spud like this.
  4. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Like most women, I shave in the shower.

Radiotube and Spud like this.
  5. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Now days, I shave in the evening, usually after my gym shower. Before DE, when I was cart and goo shaving in the morning, I'd always shave pre-shower. That was my total post. No aftershave, etc. just a regular hot shower. I liked it that way with the cart and goo.

Spud likes this.
  6. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I like to shave first but it does mean I have to spend more time on prep before shaving.

Spud likes this.
  7. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

I have tried it both ways, and don't see any difference. It's most likely the fact that I have a light beard. I prefer to shave first, then shower, as I feel cleaner getting out of the shower all done. I actually splash on some WH and clean up my shave gear before I take my shower, then reapply WH after.

Spud likes this.
  8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I shave first thing in the morning and shower in the evening, so, I shave before showering.

Spud and macaronus like this.
  9. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I used to shave before showering, but lately I've reversed that. Don't make much difference to me, though the whiskers seem kinda softer when I shower before. As always: YMMV. :)

Spud likes this.
  10. I shave before showering quite a bit. I use a hot towel to prep and I like the ability to see my face in the mirror. I have an exhaust fan but sometimes wonder if it is just a noise maker. I also have a circle beard or whatever the current fad is to call it. So I end up with lather in my facial hair and a shower makes it easier to get clean.

Spud likes this.
  11. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I must agree. The witch hazel feels much more satisfying immediately after a shave.

12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Same here.

Spud likes this.
  13. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

Showering, like brushing my teeth, isn't really linked to shaving for me. I shower whenever I need to and I shave in the mornings. Good prep is part of every shave but again is basically independent of whether I've just come out of the shower or not.

Spud and Herm2502 like this.
  14. ffgolfer

ffgolfer New Member

Personal experience. Shower first= no 5 o'clock shadow. Shave first= 5 o'clock shadow before lunch.

Spud likes this.
  15. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I consider myself to have coarse beard, but I'm not entirely sure. I haven't really made a comparison.

But I feel if I don't shower first the blade struggles to cut the whiskers. It's not fun for the face.

Spud likes this.
  16. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Me too.........

17. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

When I worked and shaved with a "cart" I would shave the night before work so my face could heal some while I slept and lesson, although not eliminate, irritation before work the next day. Using the Trac2 cart and canned goo the shave was pretty much the same with or without the shower(miserable)! Since taking up "traditional" shaving using a DE or SE, a shave brush and real shave soap, I now shave exclusively first thing in the morning and include a shower as part of my preshave routine. The results in terms of closeness and comfort have been outstanding for me!! :happy088:

Spud likes this.
  18. ZinZan

ZinZan Member

I used to shave before shower now I I do after I just find that I save a bit more time and eliminate the hot towel routine.

19. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I dunno, maybe its me, I'm still new at this. But, IMHO shaving first feels like licking the peanut butter off the knife and then eating the bread.

178-bplatoon and Spud like this.
  20. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Do you have to shower to be a member of the forum? I didn't see that anywhere in the rules. :scared007:

Spud and swarden43 like this.