Against the 30 day rule.

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by cournot, Oct 29, 2014.

1. cournot

cournot Member

Learning many things -- especially those we do for diversion -- is the ultimate YMMV. I remember studying foreign languages in high school and college. Some of my peers and all of my teachers kept saying I had to do X, not Y. But I observed that few people came out of those classes anywhere near fluent and even worse, some of those who claimed to be fluent had such strong accents that native speakers were utterly turned off. I developed my own theories of language learning, only paid enough attention in class to get a good grade, then taught myself my way. Many years later, I make ample use of my experiences in my travels and am fairly fluent in at least 3 languages and can muddle through in a few more. All of those early peers who did things the "correct" way can barely remember how to order pizza. Of course, you might argue that I never really learned to speak or write English properly. :D

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The '30-day rule' I view as a good guideline for the new wet-shaver. I'm also sure Gary will say there are real benefits to sticking with it, and I'm inclined to agree.
    However, I don't believe the expectation is that everyone will do it, let alone stick with the guidelines to the very end.
    It would be as if telling a child in a candy shop, filled with hundreds of varieties of candies, to only chose ONE variety—and each day for the next 30 day, he may only have that one type.
    Conversely, if the child eats every variety available to him, he'd get sick.....;)
    Although the 30-day rule goes against our impatient nature, it does help focus the shaver more on his technique and less upon other NEW variables being introduced daily.

3. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I think you both raise some valid points.

Folks learn in different ways, that's for sure. At the end of the day, it's just shaving. But please don't attempt anything that would threaten your ability to order pizza. :eatdrink020:

If you are into traditional shaving as a hobby and to have fun, approach it a way that makes you happy.

I also view the '30-day-rule' simply as a guideline or as one approach. IMHO, I think that if you have a personal goal to develop shaving 'proficiency' in a minimum amount of time, it helps to adopt a structured approach of some kind. I don't have time to try everything on my own, so it helps me even more to learn from others' experiences. That's one of the cool things about being a member of The Shave Den.

One of the things I enjoy most about traditional shaving is the infinite number of options available in terms of technique, software, hardware, etc. Best wishes in your shaving journey, and be sure to keep us posted along the way! :happy088:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
    HolyRollah and GDCarrington like this.
  4. Aimless1

Aimless1 Active Member

About 10% of us fall into one extreme (30 day rule) or the other (laissez faire ala my approach). Most are in between someplace. The point is we all learn differently. We all learn at different speeds. What matters is not the how but what works best for each individual. There is no one right way or best way, only the way that works best for you.

HolyRollah and wristwatchb like this.
  5. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

There's give and take. I didn't follow the 30 day rule at all. It took longer to learn technique, but at the same time I was able to figure out what blades and creams worked best for me much quicker. So instead of sitting there with bad blades for 30 days, I was able to run through a few different types and find ones that worked which was also very useful in it's own way.

It's your shave. There are no rules. Everything is YMMV and a guideline.

6. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I sincerely do not mean to make light of this interesting and serious disclosure.....but....Whether anyone follows the 30 Day rule or not is kind of unimportant.....some do and find it to be a great help and pass it on.....Some don't and do their own thing or discover helpful techniques and talk about those.....But surely there can be no debate about whether the 30 day rule has helped many.....and surely there can be no debate that there are many ways to skin a cat....So I'm just trying to figure out......ahhhhh.....what are we talking about here....I'm sorry....I'm a little slow...:lam:....Thanks for the ahhh stimulating interaction......Carry On.....Viva la difference!! Hope everybody finds a way to get great shaves and is having fun at the sametime.....I know I am.....:happy093:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
    GDCarrington likes this.
  7. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

Getting a satisfying shave is what it's all about. If that means sampling every sweetie in the sweetie shop, then so be it. If that that means doggedly sticking the same routine then that's OK too. And every conceivable scenario in between.

The more important question is "what does it matter what anyone else says or thinks?". It's just a shave after all, but it's definitely your shave.

Ain't no thang butta chicken wing...
    [​IMG]

8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Why would anyone be against anything that could be beneficial? Knowledge is Power.

9. Part of the problem with not sticking with a 30 day rule is that too many people give poor reviews to products before they have mastered the technique aspect.

10. Aimless1

Aimless1 Active Member

You assume incorrectly that technique can only be mastered using one method. Several newbies (myself included) have decades of shaving experience, just not with a straight or de or se. All reviews should be read with skepticism no matter the author as we all have a bias. Some are better with words than others. Some are better known than others. Some don't have the skills to do a review in the first place. I have found a few reviews I consider to be excellent, some are simply horrible and most are forgettable.

Alan H likes this.
  11. Alan H

Alan H Member

I didn't even know there was a 30 day rule! I just did things and if I liked it, I kept at it. I started with Derby blades, only because they came with my very first razor (Jagger) and they worked quite fine. Then my first batch (emphasis on first) of sample blades arrived and I tried a Merkur and thought it was just plain horrible, at least it was for me. I had heard so much about Feather blades being one of the sharpest, if not THE sharpest, out there, that I was afraid my head would slide off my shoulder in a bloody heap, if I didn't use it with respect. Well, that didn't happen and, as to sharpness as compared to others, I have no idea, except to say, they are very nice blades and get the job done. BTW, I would love to hear other opinions on Merkur blades, just to know if it is me and, dare I say, my technique.

12. Letting the weight of the razor do the work ended with the Trac II, concern for angles ended with the Atra. Both of these were design concepts to aid the user. The concept of pulling a hair then cutting it with a second blade is well documented. So basically we are left with what appears to be sharpness of the blade, lather and method of producing and applying the lather. I see nothing but apples and oranges when it comes down to how a cartridge demands technique and how it's predecessors demand technique. Each style of razor has it's own set of requirements for technique. If one is using a Schick Injector and then goes to a GEM or Rolls and uses the same technique they are going to be in trouble. Granted every person will have their own learning curve, some faster than others and if one allows patience to win out then any razor can be mastered providing they are physically able to use same. Mastery of English is of no concern to me in reviews as I welcome people from all over the world to share their enjoyment of traditional shaving. Generally if a person isn't getting a certain point across or it is a little foggy as to what they are trying to convey then others usually do a good job of assisting them. But if in one post a person is condemning a blade and in another post is complaining that their face is like raw meat after a shave and they are using a different blade then mastery of technique hasn't occurred. While the OP didn't find the 30 Day rule to his liking it is much easier for others to aid a fellow shaver when the variables are as few as possible.

13. Aimless1

Aimless1 Active Member

Shaving is neither difficult or hard. To imply otherwise is just not right. 100000s of men successfully used de razors without tutorials long before the Internet and forums entered our lives. They mastered its' use without the 30 day rule. Glad that method works for you and for others but there are as many successful ways to master shaving as there are shavers. As someone noted earlier this really is much ado about nothing.

Enjoy your shaves. Help others and share in our enthusiasm. Don't be aslave to shaving dogma.

icemanwbs likes this.
  14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I beg to disagree. To simply drag a razor across a face is easy. To develop proper technique to its fullest takes practice and experience, using whatever the razor of choice is. Good technique minimizes the hazardous potential effects of shaving (i.e. razor burn, rash, bumps, irritation, ingrown hairs), and with practice, these issues that plague many shavers are diminished. Using certain razors properly and getting a comfortable shave is difficult for some; and much more difficult for others.
    If the art of shaving were an easy one to master, there would not be the vast number of questions from beginners regarding technique, skin issues, how-to's we find on shave forums. We live in an informational age—something my parents or grandparent's couldn't dream of. Because of this information exchange available to shaver's today, we can glean insights from those who have gone before, and possibly learn from these experiences.

Going from a cart to DE blade takes some practice. Some find the transition difficult and painful. Going from a DE razor to straight razor takes both practice and time.
    Many have found SR shaving too difficult to master, and are thus content to stick with DE or SE razors.
    The 30-day rule is merely ONE way to assist people in either transitioning from one type of razor (cart to DE) to another, or a method of improving one's technique without introducing multiple variables.
    No shaving dogma, nor is it intended to be a method to squeeze out all the joy of wet-shaving variety.

15. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

What brings you to a shaving forum? Since shaving is neither difficult or hard. Friendships? Meet new people?

16. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

Totally agree with @HolyRollah . Part of the issue is that men traditionally did not necessarily verbally pass on skills that well. This, of course, does not apply to everyone. However, I think many men were left to learn DE shaving on their own and did not have access to forums such as this one, because there was no inter-web. My father, for example, was never taught how to properly DE shave. Once I learned how to properly DE shave, I asked him how he shaved and it was totally wrong. These men embraced carts, because it was a actually a relief. I remember when I was taught to shave, I was given a TracII and told to have at it. I have stated many times in this forum that I have been shaving for 22 years now and have only known how to shave for about 8 months now (I joined this forum 9 months ago). Before using my DE, I applied the skills of wet shaving learned here to cart shaving. Wow! What a difference! Why didn't dad teach me this? He didn't know either. I adopted the 30 day rule early, because GD replied to my newbie entry early. I tried Merks, Wilkies, Derbys and then Astra SP. Astra SP worked great and off I went for 30 days. Since then, I have used 3 razors, many more blades, many soaps, many ASs and two brushes. However, I've used my Parker 91r for ~85 % of that time. I know it front to back. My technique continues to evolve. I do many complex procedures in my day to day career activities. DE shaving, IMO, like any complex skill is difficult to master. Like anything, some take to it quickly or have beards that allow it. I am thankful for the 30 day rule as it is the most logical approach to teach a true newbie and to troubleshoot for that newbie. I am also thankful for forums such as these, which allow men and women to grow the oral tradition of wet shaving so that the knowledge can be passed on. If you don't like the 30 day rule, that is totally fine! Your choice! However, it's logic is sound and has helped many :)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  17. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

For me, 23 shaves in, I have found the 30 day rule extremely beneficial. It appears I have picked up on DE fairly quickly, still no cuts, just a few weepers. By just focusing on my technique and not worrying about if the quality of shave was because of the blade or cream etc appears to be helping me.
    Again this is my experience, everyone has their own way of learning something new. That doesn't make one way right and another wrong. With my personality type, making a hard timeline goal and sticking to it works best for me, call it OCD if you like. This leads into my AD's and why I have a small stockpile of blade/soap samples, brushes and even a minty L3 slim adjustable that just picked up waiting for me in 8 days ...... :scared011:

18. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I undid 25 years of cartridge technique in 30+ days and replaced it with DE technique. It's what I needed to do. I gained from applying the advice found in @GCarrington's post on my initial newbie thread. I actually found it welcoming that he read my post and saw that a student might be ready. I alone chose to follow it. No dogma other than I followed the guidelines.

On this forum I have found advice, reviews, tips, videos, and unique shaving products, and relationships with others who share a passion for vintage style shaving. I don't give advice...I relate my experience. I read the experiences of others. I find that by setting my expectation level this way, I am often impressed...and never disappointed by TSD. Those here who advocate "dogma" do so with the purest of intention. They seek to share, not control the experience of others. Follow any teacher you like, or go at it free form. Be true to your goals and you will be happy and in control of your own experience. Choose satisfaction.

19. Aimless1

Aimless1 Active Member

Opposing views are the spice of life.

Kevin, dogma is defined by Merriam Webster as
    a : something held as an established opinion; especially : a definite authoritative tenet

I think this thread clearly demonstrates that it is. Bama Samurai, nice spoof "30-day Rule Apologist". I like that. RaZorBurn, I enjoy sitting on my deck watching the world go by. It is neither difficult nor challenging but it is highly enjoyable. Shaving does not have to be difficult in order to enjoy the community.

I'll stick with my view but I am sorry that it touched such a sensitive nerve. I shave because I have to for business but more importantly, because I enjoy it. Never imagined such a simple pleasure would invoke such passion. Good for all of you. Keep the flame alive.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Al, variety is good, and so is a good, respectful debate. We all don't have to agree on everything shaving related (just check out some of the soap threads :D), and discussion on all these topics I find invaluable. :happy088:
    BTW: dogma in its literal sense is merely what Merriem Webster defines it as; however, the term has become more perjorative in common usage.