Tutorial How to make your own Pre-shave oil

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Sara-s, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Mr. Droid

Mr. Droid Well-Known Member

Oops. Spell check got me! Decanting aftershave, NOT decaying it. Now that would be a weird thing to be caught doing!

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

And reshaping a shaving stick isn't?;)

3. Mr. Droid

Well... you got me there I guess. It is fun though.

4. lgbran

lgbran New Member

Is there much difference between the sweet almond oil you get from the chemist and 100% almond oil you can get from a italian supermarket. Found some pressed almond from France as well as walnut oil can you use them 250ml for much the same as 100 ml cosmetic grade from chemist. Notice the one from supermarket said refrigerate after opening.

Omelmad likes this.
  5. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Can you add vitamins E to the pso?

Omelmad likes this.
  6. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

The only thing I can think of is that there is sweet almond oil (almost no scent) and there is another almond oil that smells really bitter. I wouldn't want that on my face, but if both the once you are looking at are sweet almond oil then go for the cheaper one I got mine from a grocery store, pretty cheap and it works great =D

7. Omelmad

I got no professional opinion nor have tried it. But there is some people that adds it to their homemade pre shave balm, I don't see why one shouldn't add to a pre shave oil.

Maybe @Sara-s or @Queen of Blades , has an opinion about this? =) If someone knows I think its them

8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Some oils can go bad, if not used up quickly. So I add some Vit. E to my stock bottle of sweet almond oil, as a preservative. Vit. E is also supposed to be good for sensitive skin, so I would say it is not a bad idea. BTW, I add 1 tbl (15 ml) to a 16 fl. oz. bottle of sweet almond oil.

Omelmad likes this.
  9. Mr. Droid

This week I followed through and made some pre-shave oil. It is 3 parts macadamia oil (because I happened to have it) and 1 part castor oil. And Clove and Menthol essential oil, first a little, then a lot. I have to say...I love this stuff! Great tip.

Omelmad likes this.
  10. Omelmad

I can't find that oil anywhere in sweden =P Does menthol essential oil give it a scent only or does it make it cold?

11. Mr. Droid

It is kind of strange...the scent of the cloves vastly overpowers any fragrance the menthol might bring. And the menthol doesn't seem to impart much of a cooling feel. What it does seem to do, is make the oil mixture feel very 'light' on the skin. I don't know if that makes sense......but my first mix had much less essential oil in it, and it felt super viscous. It felt almost exactly like I had slathered heavy oil all over my face. Yes, shocking, I know. But with much more EO in the mixture, it feels like a very different substance. Or maybe it is all in my head. I like it though.

12. Mr. Droid

And as far as the menthol oil, I happen to live near a hippy organic grocer. They have a shockingly comprehensive essential oil selection..

13. Omelmad

Thats probably the castor oil, its very thick. I think with a lot of EO's you might have diluted the castor oil even more. But what do I know =P Im just an amateur like you

14. Omelmad

Thats always nice. I've seen hippy stores, lots of EO's but not macadamia nut oil yet

15. Mr. Droid

Oh! I thought you meant the menthol. Sorry. I haven't the finest idea where the macadamia oil came from. My girlfriend bought it in an effort to put more fats into her diet for crossfit. Then she remembered that she doesn't cook. So she gave it to me for cooking, as that is my part of the agreement. Unfortunately, I have never cooked with macadamia oil, I have never thought about cooking with it, and I wouldn't know where to begin cooking with it. So it has been collecting dust for the past year. It is kind of why I jumped on this idea. I knew I could finally use the oil haunting my kitchen. If you want some, I can pour some off and send it. Its a huge bottle. I have plenty to share.

16. Omelmad

Crossfit sounds like fun, I guess you got the boring part haha cooking. There is a joke: There is a pro and a con with cooking food. The con is "cooking" and the pro is "food"

17. Omelmad

Thank you for the offer. I live in Sweden, that would get to pricey. But thanks anyway, and beskeds I have a huge bottle of sweet almond oil

18. Dave Huffman

Dave Huffman New Member

I love Shave Secret myself but it would be fun to make my own.
    Dave"Slawman"Huffman

Sara-s likes this.
  19. Medicus Ille

Medicus Ille New Member

Has anyone used just castor oil? I have used it as a face wash for years, would it be too thick for a shave oil?

20. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I think it would be too thick, by itself. You could always try it anyway. The worst thing that could happen is that it works poorly.

Medicus Ille likes this.