Making a homemade Osage Rub-balm

Discussion in 'Soapmaking & Lotions' started by Porter, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Porter

Porter Well-Known Member

Anyone have any recipes for a homemade Osage rub balm? I love the freeze, but also can never leave something alone. I've got some glycerin, I'm wondering how much to add in?

crackstar likes this.
  2. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I have absolutely so idea =P do you want to take a batch of Osage rub and convert it into a balm?

3. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Maybe look for some regular balm recipes and add some menthol crystals?

4. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I use equal parts Osage Rub and Witch Hazel then add a few drops of Sage essential oil to the mix. I find this gives me the cooling sensation I want and the healing/soothing effect of the Witch Hazel. The Sage essential oil provides the scent and additional skin care. Works great for me.

Porter and maltedmilk like this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I make a shea butter-based balm (one type for pre-shave; one for post).
    Essentially, the formula I use is about 5 ounces of various oils to one pound of Shea butter. I added 2 ounces of Sweet Almond Oil, 2 ounces of jojoba Oil and 1 ounce of Apricot Kernal Oil each.
    To this mix, you can add a tablespoon of glycerin and aloe vera gel.
    Mix using a hand mixer (not your kitchen aid) on whip for a long time. To shorten the time, just mix it enough to fully incorporate the oils (maybe 2 minutes) and then put the bowl into the fridge for 10 minutes. It will form a white layer on top of cooled shea. Then you take it out and keep mixing. It will take so long that you'll think you're doing it wrong, but you're not. Just keep going. Eventually, you'll start forming something that looks like frosting that smells a lot better than plain Shea.
    In lieu of fragrance oils, I would add the Osage Rub. You'll need to decide your own amount; the more you add, the thinner the consistency will be. add too much and separation may occur.
    Spoon into whatever containers you'd like to use.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  6. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    Well THAT certainly looks interesting! Are your ounce measurements the fluid ounce or the weight ounce?

16 oz shea butter
    2 oz sweet almod oil
    2 oz jojoba oil
    1 oz apricot kernel oil
    1 Tbs glycerin
    1 Tbs aloe vera gel

ALSO... Have you ever tried melting your oils and then stirring them together? I'm thinking it could be a wee bit easier to stir them together and then whip in your glycerin and aloe vera. I'll use my stick blender when I try this. I've got avocado and no apricot oil, so will probably swap them out. ... I bet you could swap the shea with cocoa butter, too. Ever cocoa butter?

This is your pre-shave balm, right? It looks awesome!

Porter and Bama Samurai like this.
  7. Porter

Porter Well-Known Member

These are some great recipes! I mixed some witch hazel and osage together, and will be adding some glycerine in. It's mostly for fun, but I also wanted to mitigate the drying effects of the Rub.

8. elduderino914

elduderino914 Active Member

I was wondering about cocoa butter too. Havent been able to find shea butter in the few stored I've looked in. Its easy enough to order online but was hoping to just be able to grab it off off a shelf somewhere

9. elduderino914

elduderino914 Active Member

@HolyRollah did you have a different recipe for a post shave balm posted as well? I had copied down ingredients for a post shave balm with Shea butter, aloe Vera, vitamin e.. Thought it was posted by you but I tried searching for it and I can't seem to find it.