SoS: November 17, 2014 - November 23, 2014

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Nov 16, 2014.

1. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Worst shave ever today! Put in a Super-Max Super Platinum in my Slim and I was in a rush. In hindsight it looked like it didn't go in very well. Closed up on 5 and looked OK. Whipped up some Cella, still on my first tub, with my VDH badger and went to work. The first pass was a disaster. Pulled from the get go. I thought I nicked myself from the start, which is very rare since I don't use any pressure, but I didn't. Checked the blade, and being in a rush finished 1 pass. Pulled like crazy, and very rough. I should have pitched the blade, at the start, but I was in a rush. Never a good way to go. WH helped, and the Jack Black Balm was a relief. Lots of burn. When I got back home I checked the blade again and it looks like it did not lay down in the Slim all the way but closed fine. Lesson learned.

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Troy, very nice bowl and mug! :greet002:

ram57, crackstar and Troy M like this.
  3. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Sheesh! That didn't sound very good! I hope you're feeling better! :)

macaronus, ObiDon, Tdmsu and 3 others like this.
  4. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Sunday Morning Shave Society

Pre: Power Shower
    Razor: Gem G-Bar
    Blade: Gem SS
    Cream: Proraso Blue
    Brush: Omega 10049
    After: Old Spice

A good shave with 3 days worth of scruff. I don't remember the last time I use the Gem, so I have no idea how many uses or how old the blade was. Still worked quite well.

5. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

Sunday morning -

Prep - Noxzema & hot towel
    Lather - Mitchell's Wool Fat & suribachi
    Brush - Semogue SOC 24mm boar reset @ 47mm
    Razor - George Savage & Sons XX 8/8

2 pass
    Warm water rinse & cold water splash
    Alum block & Witch-hazel AS

[​IMG]

Cooler here this morning and just a dusting of snow, 23ºF/-5ºC. Clearing this afternoon and maybe 45ºF/7ºC, but lots of sun. Seeing Glen's latest custom yesterday had me reaching for my Savage hollow ground this morning, and it was a very nice shave indeed. Mitchell's & a lowered SOC for an outstanding lather. Standard pre- & -post for another great shave. Hope yours was as well, and that you're enjoying your Sunday afternoon. Have a good 'un folks.

:eatdrink013:

6. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Genial, mein Freund. Ich bin sicher dass Du eine fantastische Rasur hattest. :)

7. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

S.O.T.D. ~ Single Edge Sunday, November 23, 2014

Prep: Hot to warm shower, Neutrogena Face Wash, Mike's Natural Bath Soap - Barber Shop
    Razor: Schick Dial Adjustable
    Blade: Schick
    Brush: B&B Omega Essential Boar
    Lather: L.A. Shaving Soap Co. - Topanga Fougere
    Aftershave: TOBS Sandalwood Aftershave Lotion

Had an outstanding late shave today. The Schick Dial Injector did a great job, still on it's first blade. No nicks, no burn, no weepers. Have a good week my friends and remember to stay frosty.

Sun3.JPG

macaronus, Recklesstr, ram57 and 14 others like this.
  8. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Sunday:
    hot shower w/Wm Neumann & Co Peppermint Leaf bar soap
    ShaveSecret PSO
    Gillette '38-'45 Fat Handle Tech 2+ passes
    SuperMax SP Tiger (2)
    BurmaShave boar
    SuperMax Ultimate cream in a warm bowl
    Thayers unscented w/aloe
    TSD SubZero AS Milk

Well, it must have been a busy day since I just now realized I didn't post my morning shave. Started off with a new bar of soap from Wm Neumann and really enjoyed the refreshingly strong scent and exfoliating scrub surface of the bar.
    Then same as yesterday I used the 'already-sold' early version Fat Handle Tech and got yet another great shave but now it needs to go to it's new owner and I need to start looking for another one. I haven't examined it head to head with my newer version but there's a definite difference in the performance. The older version is more aggressive and makes noise almost like an SE when you're doing the first pass. It seems almost to scrape as it were without being too harsh or causing irritation. I played around a bit with the angle and tried some blade buffing and finished quite well considering this is only the second time using this razor. All in all a nice tool I'd like to have in my arsenal.
    Used my new bowl again this time with a cream that's seen some neglect. I've got hard water so some products don't perform at their best and I know the last time I used the SM Ultimate my lather didn't turn out very well so today I didn't skimp on product, added a bit of glycerin and whipped up a fine bowl of cushiony tea tree oil vitamin E and aloe vera infused goodness.
    Also kinda new is my bottle of TSD Subzero AS Milk. I got it awhile back but this is only the second or third time using it. I really like it. I don't know much about what an AS "milk" is and/or why it's different than a regular AS or a lotion or a balm but I don't care. I just like it. It feels good and it smells good and you ought to try some.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
    dbersh, Boojum1, macaronus and 13 others like this.
  9. KnockOut Shave

KnockOut Shave Well-Known Member

Have you found the L'Orange Noir?

10. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

No Ralph not yet...I haven't picked it up. It is still on my wish list.

11. KnockOut Shave

KnockOut Shave Well-Known Member

Well we got our shipment in this past week and we have the third generation of L'Orange Noir (the less menthol). Saw your post and thought I'd let you know if your still looking.

12. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Thanks for the heads up. I will have to look at placing an order at the beginning of the new year.

KnockOut Shave likes this.
  13. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Believe
    Today was my sixth shave on this Voskhod blade, and perhaps the best. These blades have proven to be the best value for me - an excellent balance of performance and durability. Today was two days of stubble vs New LC and the Gillette won in the best way. My face is as smooth as it ever was, with the help of B&M Petrichor and my HIS lather monster. Such luxurious lather! I also used Proraso White pre barba for the first time, and it feels great featuring a nice menthol cool. I finished up with Krampert's Finest Acadian Spice Bay Rum for one of the best shaves I've ever had.

Prep: Proraso White pre barba
    Soap: B&M Petrichor
    Brush: HIS
    Razor: Gillette New Long Comb
    Blade: Voskhod (6)
    AS: Krampert's Finest Acadian Spice Bay Rum
    [​IMG]