I did my first for real Safety razor shave

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by jakie55, Nov 23, 2014.

1. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Congratulations and continued success! :happy088:

2. jakie55

jakie55 Well-Known Member

So my second shave was amazing! I purchased some noxzema that I used as a preserve. Shower, goat milk soap, and 2 in 1 shampoo on beard. Meanwhile the brush was soaking in my lather cup, and the razor was warming in the sink. A small amount of noxzema on the hands and on the face. It looked slick, and felt great. I really focused on the right angle of the blade, with short strokes, wtg. Once only per lather. I used noxzema again, and shaved xtg. I used the noxzema to do the touch up I then used Harry's aftershave balm. For me, it is a BBS shave, with very little irritation! And my wife loves the smell and feel. I'm on my way!

Radiotube, dbersh and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  3. jakie55

Preshave, not preserve.

4. jakie55

I was on mobile, so could not answer all the wonderful suggestions I was given by so many people who are committed to a good shave. (or is that just committed???:thanks:) I appreciate the idea of pre shave, and so I have added the Noxzema, to good effect. I really like the idea of taking it slow, and light, and watching the blade angle....working on that for each stroke of the blade....getting better. Again, Thanks for all your support.

John

5. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Good job. It took me over a year to really get consistently good shaves on my neck. My biggest problem was the prep wasn't good enough. Also, I didn't do a good job of figuring out which direction the stubble on my neck grew aka beard mapping.

HolyRollah likes this.
  6. td11793

td11793 Active Member

Congrats on your first shave! Your off to a good start.

7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

:happy096: One thing about The Shave Den, you'll always get good, helpful advice form a very supportive community. We've all been there! Its why I love this place!
    Welcome to the world of AutoCorrect! You wouldn't believe how many times I find myself posting about shave blames (balms)! :D

Radiotube and macaronus like this.
  8. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

You're on your way, Jackie! Happy Shavings!

9. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

Great job, John! Now you're going to want to try everything! Welcome to your new obsession! (A good one... after all, you're taking good care of your skin!)

10. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

Someone should photoshop that image so that there's foam coming out of the mouth... such a scary image... :scared003:

11. priest2705

priest2705 Well-Known Member

Absolutely correct. I'm a new wet shaver myself, and the advice and encouragement that I've received from the members here is amazing. I always know that, if something stumps me, I can always just ask on TSD and someone will be there to help

Boojum1 and Radiotube like this.
  12. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Congrats! Sounds like you're on your way. Welcome to the Den.