Shea butter after shaving

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by theFAT98, Nov 23, 2014.

1. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

I was wondering if you can use Shea butter as a aftershave. I usually just splash on thayers witch hazel. I like it but I was thinking Shea butter could be good for my skin.

wristwatchb likes this.
  2. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

You could use it as an aftershave to moisturize, but you could also put it on after your shower and it would be just as effective.

Tdmsu, wristwatchb and theFAT98 like this.
  3. theFAT98

Didn't know that. I think I'm going to get some and try it.

wristwatchb and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  4. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I've been using USB as an aftershave for years. Recently, I've begun combining it with a little Argan oil. Also, If you ever have an open wound, scrape or cut, use USB on it and it will help promote faster healing.

5. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I have a lotionbar of USR and it works wonderfully as after shave.

wristwatchb, theFAT98 and Tdmsu like this.
  6. theFAT98

Alright you talked me in to it.

wristwatchb likes this.
  7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Anybody who has read my posts for any length of time (if that's you, my apologies :D) knows that i'm a big fan of shea butter. I've used in in either homemade or store-bought pre shave creams and post-shave balms.
    For store-bought products, (aside from buying a block of 100% pure shea butter), I recommend those from Institut Karite ('Karite' =shea butter). Buying shea butter in bulk does have its advantages as you can add as much or as little as you need. It's also cheaper that way. Great for any skin irritation, rash, inflammation or tendency of dryness.

home-made post-shave balm— shea butter, oils (apricot kernel, jojoba, sweet almond), fragrance
    [​IMG]

Homemade lemony pre-shave cream— shea butter, lanolin, aloe vera gel, citrus oils
    [​IMG]

home made hand & foot cream…shea butter, aloe vera, lanolin, several oils, peppermint oil
    [​IMG]

8. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

Kevin,

That shea butter aftershave balm has my interest. I have tried plain shea butter but I was put off a bit by the hardness of the stuff in the jar, then melting it in my hand, and then my face felt oily afterward.

How do you make your blend? What is the texture like? Is it hard in cool weather?

Thanks!
    Mike

9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Mike, the post-shave balm is my favorite. The balm is firm, but slick to the touch. Once it contacts the skin (assuming your body temp is 98°F or higher), it renders easily and can be rubbed in. If applied too heavily, it will leave a sheen on your face ("hello, Mr. Shiny Face!"), so I always a quick dab with a face towel post-aplication. The addition of the other ingredients (healthy skin-friendly oils) makes the shea MUCH more pliable and easier to use/apply. It does wonders for irritation or 'abused' skin, and if your skin tend to dry out in the winter (mine does, or did!). A little bit goes a long way!

Heres' the process I used to make the balm:
    RECIPE
    To Make Shea Butter Balm: (using one pound of unrefined shaw butter)
    1. Very slowly melt your shea in a double boiler OR by floating a bowl containing the shea in a large pot. Use very low heat since it melts at body temperature. The more heat, the more vitamins you take out of it so less is better. I use a metal bowl over hot water as I wish to NOT corrupt my wife's double boiler.
    2. Once mostly melted (you can leave some chunks), you can let it settle some to be sure there are no sediments (also normal for unrefined though mine had none) and then pour the liquid carefully into another bowl for mixing, leaving the sediments behind.
    3. Add about 5 ounces of various oils to one pound of Shea. I added 2 ounces of Sweet Almond Oil, 2 ounces of Jojoba Oil and 1 ounce of Apricot Kernal Oil each.
    4. Mix using an old electric hand mixer (not your good kitchen aid) on whip for a long time. To shorten the time, just mix it enough to fully incorporate the oils (maybe 2 minutes) and then put the bowl into the fridge for 10 minutes. It will form a white layer on top of cooled shea. Then you take it out and keep mixing. It will take so long that you'll think you're doing it wrong, but you're not. Just keep going. Eventually, you'll start forming something that looks like frosting that smells a lot better than plain Shea.
    5. Add your scent oils. Use pure essential oils. I've also used my favorite aftershave. You'll need to decide your own amounts on this but you don't need a whole lot of it. Then mix it in and voila, you're done. Spoon into whatever containers you'd like to use.
    6. Makes about 5 pints. It will re-stiffen, but not as much as before, and will spread and melt more easily. Also soaks in a bit faster.

10. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

That sounds great! I will give it a try on a smaller batch.

11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Yes. A good idea. The recipe I posted makes the amount comparable to the first pic above (two plastic tubs of the stuff.).

12. theFAT98

Just bought 8 ounces of pure unrefined Shea butter at the vitamin Shoppe. From the company out of Africa. No other ingredients but Shea butter.

Pretty excited to try it.

wristwatchb and CyanideMetal like this.
  13. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Shea butter is great stuff. I definitely recommend mixing it with a skin-safe oil, to improve spreadability. By itself, it can feel sticky and difficult to put on to your skin.

HolyRollah likes this.
  14. theFAT98

Could you mix it with coconut oil you can get from grocery stores?

Or what skin safe oils are best?

Aloe Vera gel?

15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Good olive oil; jojoba oil, avocado oil. The aloe vera gel will change the consistency to something that doesn't absorb into the skin as readily.

theFAT98 likes this.
  16. theFAT98

Oh ok thanks.

Where can I get avocado oil? Any stores I can just go to?

17. CyanideMetal

(1) I wet my hands with water, (2) use a dab of USB about the size of my pinky fingernail, (3) rub between my hands and then (4) go to my face and rub in. The water helps spread the USB. Many times I will wet my face and do the same procedure above.

As a precaution, I would not use any other oil with it until you become familiar with using it. Also, most people use waaaay too much. I'm telling you, use just enough to cover a single finger tip.

wristwatchb, Chuck F and theFAT98 like this.
  18. theFAT98

Cyanide thanks a lot. I was wondering how much to use. That helps a lot.

19. CyanideMetal

If you have shea butter dripping off your face like Jabba the Hut, you've used too much. Your face shouldn't feel oily or slippery at all, only hydrated and smooth.

20. theFAT98

Going to use it tonight. Will report back.