Colder weather causing dry skin and razor burn.

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by R.D.Nelson, Nov 12, 2014.

1. R.D.Nelson

R.D.Nelson Well-Known Member

For the last couple weeks I have noticed that my shaves although close and almost BBS have caused more than normal Razor burn and irritation. I am inclined to think that the cooler and drier weather is the cause of my problems. I don't recall having a problem with dry skin in the past or razor burn. Maybe my body is just reacting differently than in the past. I have been having other health issues due to Diabetes and circulation issues is my legs. Perhaps that also may play a part in the drier skin. I have had to start using witch hazel after every shave and a moisturizing lotion. I don't use aftershaves often as I have severe asthma and most aftershaves while they are nice and pleasant smelling cause difficulties with my asthma.

Have any others noticed a increase in razor burn and irritation as the weather has turned cooler?

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I have to take more care with mousturizer in general in Autumn/Winter. My face does seem more sensitive in the cold than in summer.

wristwatchb likes this.
  3. Bull

Bull New Member

If you shave in the morning, ,, add moisturizer the night before....I go on snow a out 130 days a winter and it works

wristwatchb likes this.
  4. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

Nine months of the year I use cold water rinse and an AS splash for post shave care. When it gets cold cold the other three months, I switch to balms for the most part and absolutely must add a moisturizer.

wristwatchb likes this.
  5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

RD, I suspect you are right in assuming it is a combination of factors. But whatever the cause, change what you need to. I do notice a change with drier weather too. BTW, when it comes to soaps (both shower & shaving) and skin lotions, I can't say enough good things about shea butter or goat milk.

wristwatchb likes this.
  6. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

I know I get super dry in the colder weather, especially my face around my nose. I just tend to use more balm and less alcohol based after shaves. That and I tend to use moisturizer in the evening to bolster the skin.

wristwatchb likes this.
  7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I moisturize my face in the morning and evening all through the year. I am also a big fan of unrefined shea butter. My skin dries out more during the winter, especially as I have matured. You should be able to find some very good unscented products. Best wishes in your quest for a solution that works for you! :happy088:

CyanideMetal likes this.
  8. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

USB is miracle-type stuff.

wristwatchb likes this.
  9. clk

clk Member

+1 Great stuff, especially in the cold dry months.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  10. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I get really dry in the fall/winter too. I make sure I moisturize with Lubriderm or another lotion right after I shower. Through out the day I'll use lotion on my hands and arms as I notice it. Specifically for my face, I don't like walking around with an oily face from lotion all day, so I'll use a balm after I shave, and make sure I moisturize every night.

11. DEfettish

DEfettish Well-Known Member

I have been using Eucerin face lotion that I picked up at WalMart for about 6 or 7 bucks. I use it at night after washing my face. It has been working well for me. I also use a balm on top of my AS in the morning. I have stopped going against the grain for right now. I noticed that I was getting burn a lot more since the weather turned cold. It seems to be helping.

12. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

I started using Neutrogena Deep Cleaning Gentle Scrub, on the advice of some employees at a skincare products store, because my skin was so dry it was flaking. I seldom see these issues anymore, even in the driest weather, as long as I remember to use it at least twice a week. As always, YMMV.