Black Betty

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by oscar11, Nov 5, 2014.

1. R.D.Nelson

R.D.Nelson Well-Known Member

great looking brush man. You did a great job on the handle. Do you ever make handles for people?

Bristle Me and oscar11 like this.
  2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I have to believe that both the band Lynard Skynard and both late Mr. Leonard Skinner and Huddie "Lead Belly" Ledbetter would agree that particular "Black Betty" is one beautiful lady! Well done Steve, well done indeed! :happy096:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  3. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Beautiful work, Steve, as usual! That is wonderful new shape to your handle repertoire, my friend! :)

Bristle Me and GDCarrington like this.
  4. TXFIVEO

TXFIVEO Well-Known Member

Very nice!

5. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

+1

6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

7. FlightMedic

FlightMedic Well-Known Member

Wow that's a nice handle. Do you have a lathe that is plastic specific or are you using a small wood lathe?

8. Tcrideshd

Tcrideshd New Member

Yes Ram Jam

9. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

It's a regular wood lathe but you need a slightly different technique for working with cast acrylic than wood.

GDCarrington likes this.
  10. Gordy

Gordy Well-Known Member

you mean I could be using my wood lathe for acrylic? I never knew that!

GDCarrington likes this.
  11. Beardbgone

Beardbgone Active Member

Nice work Steve. If you could choose your perfect boar knot and set it however you want, what knot and loft?

GDCarrington likes this.
  12. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

Very nice work Steve. Seems to be a wonderful brush. :)

13. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

Semogue SoC set at about 50mm..

14. oscar11

I like larger knots so I'm a fan of the big Omega. Depending on hole size, I set almost all of mine between 56mm and 58mm. With the Semogues I go lower but mostly because they don't have as big of diameters. If you get a 2000 or SOC set in the low 50's ( 50-52mm) you'll have a great brush, IMO. But like everything, it's just what I like the next person might not care for it. My photo host is down but when it come up again I'll post a pic that will just about explain everything.

macaronus and GDCarrington like this.
  15. oscar11

Here's the pic I was talking about. 3 knots that are exactly the same type (Omega 49's) and within a few mm of each other for loft. All are dry, notice the difference in bloom. You'll have 3 brushes that will feel different on your face.
    [​IMG]

16. Beardbgone

Beardbgone Active Member

Very interesting to see the comparisons. I have a 49 set to 55mm and does not bloom. Beautiful brushes!

17. Beardbgone

Beardbgone Active Member

That's helpful. I had a SOC that I traded because I just couldn't get used to it after using various omega boar brushes. I think I would revisit a SOC with the knot set lower.

18. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Those are some really beautiful handles! Love your work!

oscar11 likes this.
  19. oscar11

I'm starting to talk to much but.... it's all about hole size. Try it with a 28-30mm hole and see what happens. I'm just about ready to quit this brush stuff again, between job B.S. and brushes there's no time for anything else. But then again, I don't drink or do drugs so a guy needs a hobby but I just haven't found a happy medium.

GDCarrington and moz68 like this.
  20. moz68

moz68 Well-Known Member

oscar11 likes this.