Drakkar Noir

Discussion in 'Scents' started by Garden Street USA, Apr 8, 2009.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I like it too, but the scent doesn't last very long. The bottle design is awesome, though!

As for DK , It was better in the old days (provided it wasn't applied heavily). The current formulation is weaker, and seems to lack most of the leather smell it once had. It's not one of my favorites.

2. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

I too used it as a staple in my younger days. SWMBO told me to "grow up" the last time I tried wearing it. Personally, I think she must've had an ex who wore it or something. ;-)

I've been a Sir Irisch Moos man as of late. Kind of goes along with my preference of Polo and Creed Green Irish Tweed scents.

Paul Turner likes this.
  3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Polo? Oh God! I had a college roommate who used to (practically) bathe in the original. To this day, just thinking of it makes me nauseated. Scent memory can be really strong.... in a bad way.

blanka likes this.
  4. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

Polo is definitely a cologne where a-little-dab-will-do-ya, anything more and it does become overwhelming

crackstar likes this.
  5. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Very true. Polo is quite strong, isn't it.

blanka likes this.
  6. ps1160

ps1160 Well-Known Member

WSP has a soap with the Drakkar Noir scent called Fougere Noir. I have it and like it. The soap has a strong scent.

7. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I tried a spray of this today. I instantly recognized this as the fragrance that every guy alive seemed to wear in the 80s and a bit in the 90s. It's a masculine scent for sure, which is a quality that I always appreciate but I wasn't too impressed as I got burnt out on this long ago. I don't know if they reformulated but the current stuff seems pretty weak. Just a little over an hour later and the scent has largely dissipated. I think that this scent would still work well as an aftershave splash but it isn't offered as one.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  8. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Stirling Noir is Rod's interpretation. I like it.

Paul Turner likes this.
  9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I like WSP's shave soap version, fougre noir.

You'll note that about four years ago (scroll to the top of the page), I mentioned that Drakkar Noir had been heavily reformulated.

ninjack and Demidog like this.
  10. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

WSP Fougere Noir, one of my favorite soaps.

Paul Turner, ninjack and Ksblazer like this.
  11. ninjack

ninjack Well-Known Member

I love Drakkar Noir cologne. It's my daily wearer now. A friend of mine got a bottle as a gift in high school (back in 86') and I wasn't impressed with it then. About a year ago I was looking for a spray cologne that might go well with my Truefitt and Hill Grafton shave cream and I read a comment that Drakkar had a similar scent, so I bought a small bottle and have been hooked. I always though it was a cheap cologne, but I paid around $36. for a small 1.7 ounce bottle. Since then I have found it on Ebay much less expensive. The reason I didn't buy the Grafton spray cologne is because it costs around $75. per bottle.

I also have the WSP Fougere Noir shave soap and love it! I need to get a bottle of the Draggon Noir aftershave splash and try it next.

Demidog and Paul Turner like this.
  12. RockyNomad

RockyNomad Member

I love Drakkar. I'm 46 and have been wearing it since the eighties. When I married my wife she used to make fun of it. I wore it around her and she asked what smelled so good. It was very rewarding to tell her it was Drakkar. Now she doesn't give me trouble about it anymore.

BigMark83 likes this.
  13. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I was impressed by smelling it off a page of Men's Health. But too $$$$$$.

14. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

What does Grey flannel smell like?

15. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Awesome Avatar:)

16. Paul Turner

Stoylin has a Drakkar Noir "dupe" or clone.

17. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I used to wear Drakkar Noir when I was in my 20's and loved it. Unfortunately I once had a bottle leak out into my suitcase and stink everything up. It was overwhelming. And suddenly it didn't smell so good anymore. I've been thinking of getting a bottle again to see if I might like it again. Maybe I'll start with a sample and go from there.

Enrico likes this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

An ex-GF liked it, kept me stocked with EDT. Found the last spritzer a couple months ago and gave it a try. Meh, I'm over it and her.

Paul Turner likes this.
  19. CliffDweller

CliffDweller Well-Known Member

Drakkar Noir carries a pretty heavy historical burden and with it comes some baggage. What started as a nice, fresh scent that more and more young men gravitated to, it evolved into being intertwined with pop culture and finally, entered its terminal phase when it became associated with so-called 'bros', which is to say a certain sleazy type of person. Especially with the #MeToo era in effect, Drakkar will continue to be radioactive for years to come.

But that said, I will bet my bottom dollar that DN will eventually make a come-back, but it just might be 25 years before that happens, because as I said, the historical burden creates a high hurdle for Drakkar Noir to re-gain its footing in the larger pop culture. But it will happen because it really is a nice fresh scent.

RyX likes this.
  20. Paul Turner

Your last sentence leads to the sadness of the DK story-why should "a nice fresh scent" be so trampled on?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    RyX likes this.