Cheating on Starbucks with Peet's

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Darkbulb, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

+1 :)

2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Not just you. Not by a longshot. If I had to pick in a three way between Tim Horton, Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks, the first two have never tasted deliberately burnt to me. I like a little bit of bitterness (as long as it's low acid), and sometimes a lot if I'm in the mood, but I do not understand the appeal of what I can only describe as burnt.

richgem likes this.
  3. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

So you're saying that Peet's is about as good as Folgers?

4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

No. They're just similar blends...Folgers calls it a rich, full-bodied dark roast (and it is that) and so is the Major. But Peet's is better, hands down. But the G.S. ain't bad for a red can. Folgers Black Silk, otoh...blah.

And I only blend the two when I'm short on the Peet's and want to stretch it out as long as possible.

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  5. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

Basically your standard quadruple chin 'merican stereotype vs. the glossy-mag super model stereotype. Ain't pop culture a wonder? :rolleyes:

Personally I like local, organic and modest, in women and coffee!

Darkbulb likes this.
  6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I like the blonde and bold type. With very little acidity.

7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Yes, but what about your coffee? ;)

Darkbulb likes this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Hot, black & not too bitter…….my coffee, that is. ;)

richgem and Darkbulb like this.
  9. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Made a pot of Gourmet Supreme, since the Major was fresh in my mind from yesterday. It's got all the dark boldness of Peet's, if not a little more, but is not as flavorful. It's the equivalent of a one-note but decent cologne, compared to something similar but more refined, complex and enjoyable. Perfectly drinkable but Peet's is better, and there's far worse big name coffees out there (I've found no Maxwell House that's as good, frinstance).

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014