Tutorial How to make your own Pre-shave oil

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Sara-s, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Medicus Ille

Medicus Ille New Member

I'll report back on my findings.

2. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Castor oil as face wash? Whut?

3. Medicus Ille

Medicus Ille New Member

Lol. It sounds really weird, but it works better than anything else AND there are no odd chemicals involved:). I recommend doing a google search on 'oil method face wash' for a better explanation. My understanding is that the oil dissolves & removes dirt, as well as excessive oils on the skin's surface as well as in the pores. Because the oil does not completely strip the skin of its own natural oils, the skin does not have to produce more oil, which can lead to breakouts.

Omelmad likes this.
  4. Omelmad

Hum... Sounds interesting

5. Medicus Ille

Medicus Ille New Member

It is. there is an odd transition period when your face will act up, but then it will suddenly balance out and you will never want to go back.

6. Omelmad

I don't think I can do that

7. TrooperVinny

TrooperVinny New Member

I am ordering some grape seed and castor oil tonight as well as some lavender essential oil to make some pre-shave oil. I was wondering though, has anyone added vitamin e to their pre-shave oil? I was thinking of squeezing some out of the capsules into the oil.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Hi! Welcome to The Shave Den! I am sure that would work and have heard of others doing it!

Glad you joined us...take a look at the "Newbie" forum and drop a hello post if you feel like it...you will get to see some of the the more active posters on the site, and is a great way to get started here!

Enjoy your shaves!

Chris

9. lgbran

lgbran New Member

Just whipped up another batch ration 3 to 1 of sweet almond oil, castor oil and EO .
    Works a treat. Even used the pre shave oil on its own for a final baby smooth shave:)

Omelmad likes this.
  10. TrooperVinny

TrooperVinny New Member

Thanks!

Bama Samurai likes this.
  11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Welcome to TSD! You still have time to sign up for the Newbie Give-Away HERE

Bama Samurai likes this.
  12. WhiskerWhacker

WhiskerWhacker Well-Known Member

I made a batch of the AOS formula. It is way too thick. After reading this I will be adding more olive oil to thin it out. Don't know why I didn't think to do that before! The EO I used was a mix of 3 parts cedar to 1 part eucalyptus. It smells good plus adds a bit of cooling sensation. A tip that may have been mentioned before but... head to Whole Foods if you want to test EO fragrances. They have several brands and just about every variety - including East Indian Sandalwood - plus all the other oils like almond, avocado, etc. Their prices are hit or miss, usually miss. But, it's fun to check them all out.

13. Mojorisin35

Mojorisin35 Active Member

I just made some PSO up with castor oil, grape seed oil, jojoba oil, and olive oil and have noticed it has made a big difference in my shave. Thank you for posting this I am having allot of fun! Next time Instead of 1:1 castor grape seed I will cut it with more grape seed oil.

WhiskerWhacker likes this.
  14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Makes sense. Most folks find a 1:1 ratio too thick.

15. Badger91

Badger91 New Member

never tried pre-shave oil but just mixed some up. 1 TB olive oil, 1 TB grape seed oil, 1 TB jojoba oil, 1 TB castor oil, 1/2 tsp tea tree oil, 1/4 tsp eucalyptus oil. Put it in a 2 oz one of these: http://www.humangear.com/gotoob/ . I found it at our co-op, but looks like they are widely available. Haven't tried it yet but it certainly smells good.

Moses Brown likes this.
  16. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Have you tried it yet? We love to hear about results!

17. Badger91

Badger91 New Member

Worked great! Even though it was only my second time using a safety razor, it was much more comfortable than my first (not a good experience ). Little to no razor burn and a nice close shave.

Sara-s likes this.
  18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I would always recommend for new comers to wet-shaving to use a good pre-shave oil. Early on in the learning process, it is too easy to overdo it with a double-edge razor following years of cartridge razor use. This leads to red spots, rash and all type of irritation. Using a pre-shave oil adds another layer of protection until one get comfortable using a DE razor.

rotlicht and 45auto like this.
  19. Badger91

Badger91 New Member

Just finished up DE shave #3 I'm much more confident with the razor; it's not near as dangerous as I thought it might be. I'm still figuring out how best to navigate my face but the results are great!

20. Chefguy

Chefguy New Member

Thanks for the recipe!