Dandruff SUCKS

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by The County Mounty, Dec 15, 2014.

1. InspiringK

InspiringK Well-Known Member

This is good advice. I took this advice from someone years ago. It was in a different part of the internet and the guy's name was Rick Jim or Rush Germ, or something:lyrtuy5: Either way, thanks to that guy.

Anyway, I've been using Shampoo bars for about 3 years straight and can honestly say I have no desire to return to the liquid stuff. My dandruff issues are almost nonexistent today.

I will say, I think 50% of the credit goes to shampoo bars and 50% of the credit goes to the apple cider vinegar rinse I've adopted alongside shampoo bars. Shampoo bars are great because they have all the goodness your scalp needs without any of the harsher irritant chemicals that liquid shampoos have. The vinegar is great because it's basically your way of engaging in chemical warfare with the fungus that is dandruff. I use the bars 2/3 times a week and the rinse maybe twice a week.

Good bars that I've used are from Queen Charlotte Soaps and from Chagrin Valley.

richgem likes this.
  2. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I had dandruff problems and I make a few changes that have made a huge difference.

I switched to shampoo bars, I use QCS shampoo bars, try ones with lavander, Lavander seems to help. I also rinse with diluted vinegar. Try to avoid SLS and other nasty chemicals.

To condition my hair use a 4:1 mixture of oilive oil and honey. Do this at night and the wash and vinegar risen to get it out of your hair.

Good luck, I know your frustration.

The County Mounty likes this.
  3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

It truly does. I had severe problems with it for years, until I discovered shampoo bars (thanks to this site). It is not completely gone, but soooo much less bothersome.

4. KLF

KLF Doctorin

I struggle with dandruff close to 20 years now. I find out that rotation is the key. I use some medical shampoo for a while, then change to another, then other. I have 3 or 4 and if I rotate, I get clean scalp. If I stuck too long with one product, it kinda loosing its effect.

5. jakie55

jakie55 Well-Known Member

I second the use of Tea Tree oil shampoos or bars.

6. fancontroller

fancontroller New Member

You don't need any special dandruff shampoo. Just apply your regular shampoo as usual, massaging it to make sure it gets down to the scalp. Then let it remain on your scalp for a few minutes while you shower etc. After that, rinse it off as usual.
    Job done.

7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Worth a try but that did not work for me at all. I needed to switch to shampoo bars.

8. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Check out the ingredient list on your shampoo.
    If you see either one of these, chuck the container, and run fast! :scared007:

1. Sodium lauryl sulphate
    2. Sodium laureth sulphate

These are in fact industrial degreasers. :eek: (nope, not kidding...)
    Good stuff if you need to clean wheel bearing grease from your garage floor.
    Maybe not so good to put on your head though.....

A few suggestions:

1. As others have said, natural shampoo bars.
    http://mikesnaturalsoaps.com/Mikes_Natural_Soaps/Welcome.html
    http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/

2. Use warm water, not hot. Some folks can tolerate hot water, many can't.
    For many folks, water temps above 100 deg. F. really irritate the skin.

3. Take your time, and be kind to your scalp. When you shampoo the old noggin,
    use the flat parts of your fingers, and massage the soap in gently.
    Don't curl up your fingers and "scrub" with the finger tips.
    Remember sir, this is a massage. Be gentle.
    Massaging your scalp increases blood flow, and promotes healthy skin.

4. Rinse the soap completely from your hair.
    Soap will loosen and lift the oil and dirt from your hair and scalp, and it will be suspended it in the lather.
    Use warm water and massage gently to rinse it away completely.
    Rinse your hair for at least as long as you lathered, and rinsing for longer is better.

5. No blow drying please.
    If 110 degree water is bad, a two minute blast of 160 degree air is death.
    Dry your hair gently with a soft towel.

:poze: to you and yours County Mounty!!

9. Thanks, Bristle Me! That's some good info, and I'll be updating my technique. Merry Christmas!

Bristle Me likes this.
  10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I imagine that nothing works for everyone, so let us know what works for you.

Bristle Me likes this.
  11. spacehobo

spacehobo Well-Known Member

I was on Selsun Blue for awhile throughout high school. Later on switched to Head and Shoulders. The problem is that none of these fully got rid of the dandruff. I also experienced some hair loss from long use of Head and Shoulders.

I haven't tried any of the shampoo bars yet. All I can say is that Prairie Naturals Avalanche Shampoo really worked for me and even stopped the hair loss I was experiencing from the harsher dandruff shampoos.

[​IMG]

12. KLF

KLF Doctorin

Interesting, about the H&S and hair loss. Are you sure they are related? I'm using it for quite some time and I am recently experience hair loss. I thought it's related to me fast approaching 40.

13. spacehobo

spacehobo Well-Known Member

No, not 100% sure. But in my experience, as soon as I switched shampoos for something less chemical heavy my hair stopped falling out and grew back normally. I'm 30 now and I thought it was weird that my hair was falling out at 25. Then again, Jason Alexander's hair was falling out at 17.