Good Camera for Youtube?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Mr. Shaverman, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Like the title says, I'm looking for a good camera to make Youtube videos with. I'd want 1080 I think, but will consider 720, maybe 30-60 minutes of storage space, external mic jack, cheap as possible. Like around $100-200. I have no idea about cameras, so I'm starting from scratch completely. I haven't begun looking at anything yet so this is just one of the first steps in begining my research.

NOTE: Anyone suggesting that I just use my cell phone, or that I could get a real whizbang of a kit if I just spent $xxx more, will be cut off from decent shaving products, forever. I'm not sure how, but it will happen. Gypsy curse, voodoo, St. Jude's Prayer, whatever it takes.

Of course I'm joking about that, but honestly, if I had more I'd have put that in the price range, and if I was happy with my cell, I'd just be using that, right?

Bama Samurai and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Will you be making shaving videos?

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

This could also be posted in the thread "Signs that wetshaving is taking over your life"

4. Mr. Shaverman

Nope. The last thing anyone wants to see is me shaving. I think some of the cameras people use to make the shaving vids would be appropriate though.

Asking for camera buying advice on an internet forum? I think this would be off topic...

5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

My bad, I made the assumption it was going to be shaving related....

6. Mr. Shaverman

I know you did. lol

Darkbulb and Bama Samurai like this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

What about a GoPro? Im fishing here but they seem to have multiple uses.

Bama Samurai and Radiotube like this.
  8. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

:signs011: The Hero is $129.99 and the Hero 3 is $199.99, both within your budget and they take awesome video. Plus, they are waterproof to 131 feet!

Bama Samurai likes this.
  9. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

HAHAHA yeah!

Bama Samurai likes this.
  10. Mr. Shaverman

I do want to get one of those with helmet mounts for some of my bike riding, but they do kind of a fish eye type thing that is not what I'm looking for.

For this I need a more traditionaly style camera with a screen and mic inputs.

Bama Samurai and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  11. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I think nickshaves on youtube uses an action camera

12. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I know nothing about video cameras, but if I want to learn I go to cnet.com

13. Mr. Shaverman

You guys are killing me.

14. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Can't go wrong here.
    If you want absolute excellence, this is it.
    Just slightly above your price range, but oh, what a rig!
    I'm told you can even film under water with this, for hours on end.
    Don't pay peanuts, and you won't get monkeys.

Canon 1080p Pro.PNG

15. Mr. Shaverman

Yep, you just got the curse. You had to tempt fate. Bottom shelf shaving products for you from now on, forever. FOREVER.

16. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

You want to record in HD and for under $200 this is an excellent list

Out of those I'd be tempted to go for the Sony. You can see more about the tech specs here - they made it rather easy to transfer images straight to your computer as well which I appreciate. It does however not have a way to connect an external mic - that may or may not be a deal breaker for you.

If you want to go a bit more 'pro' then the Panasonic V100K (HC-V100) would be a great choice - it's been a go-to-gear for YouTubers.
    That model came out in 2011-2012 or so and have later been replaced by updated version. They are all prosumer products around $200 (depending on features you may have to stretch to $3-350).

17. Mr. Shaverman

I I've narrowed it down, actually. I like the Sony HD handicam. But I'll never buy that. I'm sure Panasonic or Vivitar or something makes the same camera at about 2/3 the price. I just have to figure out what that is.