Wet Brush Vs Dry Brush.

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by BigMark, Jan 21, 2015.

1. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

soak, two shakes no squeeze
    one shake for synthetics

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Dry brush, I bloom my soap, maybe a couple of tablespoons of water, add water to brush tips as needed.

BigMark likes this.
  3. InspiringK

InspiringK Well-Known Member

I tend to use a damp, but not wet brush. If I'm using a hard soap, the soap will also have some water on it before I start, but croaps and creams don't get any presoaking treatment.

I find that if a brush is too wet when I start, it just makes a goopy mess and I can't load enough product. If a brush is too dry, it just forms a thick paste on the bristles that is difficult to work with. Either way can be fixed, but having the perfect amount of moisture in the brush to start helps to make the lather quickly the first time.

4. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

I soak my badger then shake out the excess water. I just add a bit of water to the Plisson Synthetic then add water slowly as I build the lather.

5. bsohm

bsohm New Member

I soak my boar brush and soap along with my razor to cleanup anything left on it.....then a shake and lather up

6. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

Fairly wet. I soak for 30 or 40 seconds, most times. Just enough to get plenty of water in the brush. Then I shake it 3 or 4 times, depending on the brush I'm using. I want a fairly wet brush, but I don't want it to drip, and if I press it down on the puck I don't want water coming out of it.

7. RazorZombie

RazorZombie Member

Personally I get the best results soaking the brush, squeezing/shaking out enough water so the bristles are just damp, then adding water as needed while I lather. I have a hard time judging how wet the brush is just shaking it out a few times, so I was ending up with runny lather fairly often. I don't like dry brush though because I feel like my brush is more scritchy if I don't soak it and it's easier to load damp. That last bit could all be in my head, but that's how I feel.

Omega boar and mug lathering, btw.

Bristle Me likes this.
  8. Peter Martin

Peter Martin New Member

Pretty cool read! Interesting thread BigMark!!!

9. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Shaken, not squeezed...with one olive, not two.

macaronus, Bristle Me and SRNewb like this.
  10. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Soak in hot water while I shower then one shake. I also put a little hot water on the puck if I'm using a hard puck. With my wet brush I load for 1 minute. I'm a four pass shaver so I need to make allot of lather. I'll add water or soap as necessary.

11. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

I soak my badgers while I shower and then shake excess water off (3-4 shakes). Synthetics I just dip, shake the excess off and go (3-4 shakes).

12. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

I'm mostly a boar brush user.
    I soak the brush and the soap in warm water while I'm in the shower. (5-10 min.)
    Remove the soap and drain the water, then remove the brush and give it 2 or three
    brisk shakes. When I'm loading soap into the brush, I want to see a thick paste
    or gel developing, never bubbles or actual lather. I add water later as needed.
    I guess I'm more of a dry/damp brush user.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  13. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

This is exactly what I do.

14. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

+1

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  15. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Fairly dry. I only dip the tip of the brush in water and squeeze even that out. Then on to the soap and add water when lathering up.