New Stainless Steel Razor Vendor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by VedderLG, Jan 23, 2015.

1. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

I can't take credit for finding this. Read about it on another forum, but wanted to keep TSD members in the loop. This machinist lives in Alberta, Canada (my home province). He is actually the guy who makes the BBS-1 for the LA Shaving Co. He has gone out on his own. The site is not great. He is a one man show. However, his razors look great. He has an SB, an OC and a dual sided head. Apparently a slant is in the works. Keep in mind prices are in CDN $. International shipping (Outside Canada and CONUS) is pricey.

http://wolfmanrazors.com/

What do you think? I have an ATT seven piece system and will likely not purchase a razor, but had I waited, I would have definitely thought about it.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  2. Sevenbark

Sevenbark Well-Known Member

I was wondering when another vendor was going to enter this market. Nice looking heads.

VedderLG likes this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Very promising! I like the idea of buying my goods from the maker. The $50 shipping to the U.S. will definitely need to be revised. The CAD US conversion today is 1 CAD =.80 USD So the head would be &100.60USD not a bad price. Slant? Nice.

VedderLG likes this.
  4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Way out of my price range. I didnt even notice $50 shipping which is beyond nuts.

5. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Just a bit too industrial for my tastes, well the heads at least, but from what I saw of earlier iKons they were not that pretty either. I wish him success. Hopefully in a year or so the prices will not be so bad and the razors will be much more aesthetically pleasing. Also " Shipping and taxes are included for Canada & USA (CONUS). International shipping $50." So it is 50 dollars outside CA and CONUS. However I can use a new handle and will be willing to give this guy a shot.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  6. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

He sent me a LASS BBS-1 a few months ago and I was wondering when he would realize that he could just make his own and capitalize on this market. He is incredibly talented and makes a great razor!
    I am definitely going to try to get one of the SB heads that he offers when they come back into stock since the quality of his razors are possibly the best I have seen and he is Canadian and is a neighbour, to boot! :)

This is outside of CAN/US as he needs to send it with a tracking number. Canada Post isn't cheap! I would imagine he could easily send one to the US with tracking for under $20 as I have sent quite a few items, myself! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2015
    VedderLG likes this.
  7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I really like the razors and handles. The prices seem to be in line with the other machined stainless razors. Something to thing about.

VedderLG likes this.
  8. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    A whole Weber, handle and head, can be had for $70.

BardicDruid likes this.
  9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Not the same thing. Weber is handles are machined and the head is cast. Much less expensive to manufacture that way.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
    VedderLG likes this.
  10. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Excellent craftsmanship! Wolfman is on my radar. $5o shipping. Ho-lee Cow!

VedderLG likes this.
  11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Shipping and Taxes included for Canada and the US. I curious as to how aggressive the razor is myself.

12. Rapidray

Rapidray Well-Known Member

I can see the price he is asking as it is all stainless steel, and machined from billet and bars. I wish him the best.

VedderLG likes this.
  13. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Shipping is only $50 if you live outside of Canada and CONUS!

VedderLG likes this.
  14. Mr. Droid

Mr. Droid Well-Known Member

Wow. Sold out. At $200 cdn for a complete razor, $125 for just the head. I thought I spent too much on vintage razors. You new production guys get crazy with it.

15. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

They look nice but far out of reach in price. high price in shipping. Wonder what the blade gaps are.

16. VedderLG

Blade gap is posted on the site at 0.61mm

17. Tallships

Thanks Vedder, The price to US would be $161 plus $40 shipping. A 0.61 blade gap would make the solid bar equal to Gillette Slim @2. Now we need to find out what the gap of the open comb is.
    Giving feed back to Wolfman Razor may help this new company grow, possibly coming out with more aggressive heads. The 0.61 solid bar would be a bit mild for many of us But a 0.84 more mid road I would definitely buy. I personally will be writhing Wolfman razor , If a company doesn't know what the public wants ............

VedderLG likes this.
  18. VedderLG

From reports, it seems like he's just getting going, but is quite responsive. I would fully encourage you to contact him. It seems like he is fine with experimenting as he does have a spot on his site for "one-offs".

Two things I would highlight are: 1) Blade gap is not the only determinant of aggression. Aggression is determined by blade exposure past a tangent line drawn from the edge of the top cap to the edge of the baseplate. Blade gap does contribute to this, but so does top cap geometry - horizontal blade exposure. There are razors with smaller blade gaps that are still aggressive. I believe Old types fall into this group. Blade curvature would be another factor. 2) Razors can be mild yet still efficient. The RR stealth slant has almost no blade exposure, yet it is still very efficient. Also, the ATT S1 has essentially the same blade gap as the Wolfman and is very efficient, yet mild. Generally, aggressive razors are more efficient, but mild razors can be. The other razor made by this machinist is the BBS-1. It is considered to be mild and efficient. Most attribute this to his exceptional tolerances that lead to perfect blade seating (no chatter or give) and blade curvature.

With all that being said, I do totally agree that this will likely be a mild razor, but I would not be surprised if they are excellent efficient shavers. I think he's probably trying to produce a razor that almost any customer could use (if they have the $$$$) to build his base. They are already sold out it seems, so we'll have to see the early reports.

In terms or shipping, it says that shipping in Canada and CONUS is included. Is that not the case?

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  19. Tallships

Thanks for that info Vedder, big help. I also think I should have read his website at full screen instead of half:signs081:. But I will write to wolfman and ask for some comparisons that would help me compare to razors that i have or have used.

VedderLG likes this.
  20. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Nice looking razors, but that international shipping is ridiculous .. Why not just come forward and say he doesn’t want to sell to us? That would have been honest at least.