Razor of choice for head shaving

Discussion in 'Head shaving' started by newb, May 26, 2010.

1. CarlosW

CarlosW New Member

Have been shaving my head for 22 years. Started at 13. Had full set of hair but grew up in miami playing baseball and the humidity was high. So felt great. Just use Gillette fusion. I been doing so long I shave my head in shower without a mirror. Started straight shaving so eventually will try that

2. priest2705

priest2705 Well-Known Member

I've been using 2 blade disposables for years for my head and face (razor bumps). I have Ball End Tech and a TV super speed on the way. Curious to see how DE shaving does on my head

3. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I have found that my VDH (Weishi) works best with an Astra. Keep thinking I need a longer handle but so far the VDH is easiest and most comfortable. Tried a '59 Superspeed and just couldn't get the angles right toward the back. Also tried a Derby blade thinking a bit duller would be more forgiving. Won't make that mistake again. Ever.

fimpster and Shotwell like this.
  4. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

Might be more of a function of the weight and balance, or the length of stroke, as opposed to the angle. It also could be the growth pattern on the back of your head causing the problem.

Also, for me, I do plenty of prep and then lather the back first... Because it's also the area I have the most trouble with. So lathering it first ensures that it is still very slippery and cushioned because the lather hasn't dried or dissipated, and I am likely to shave more slowly at the beginning because I'm just starting.

Just some varying thoughts on the variables. As always, YMMV. If it were me, I'd try good prep followed by starting with the back and going slowly with a good (recent) lather.

NCoxSTL likes this.
  5. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Good points. I'll give that a try. I have a couple of spots on the back that definitely are challenging. I'll try starting there next time and working back to the front. Thanks.

6. Shotwell

I've only been head shaving 6 months, and only 4 with a DE. The only places I still consistently have issues are the areas around the mastoid bones behind my ears and a spot behind my temple where I have a mole/small area of scar tissue behind my left temple. The mastoid area is the one area I nick more whenever I wait until later in my routine to get the back of my head.

So I'm narrowing it down to either not having enough slippery lather back there, or not being careful in going with the grain and/or going slowly and carefully enough. And possibly exacerbating things occasionally by not allowing enough healing time between attempts.

7. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

We'll right now Mach3, I tryed DE couple times with not to good results. Maybe I'll try DE In a few month. StillUsing DE on face with good results havin fun.

8. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I have a bump on the back of my head which creates a dip which is tough to get smooth. Even when lathering I have to work a bit to get it all properly covered. Then I have to make nice slow passes over it or I miss it. And all these years I thought my head was round. Yeah, far from it. :angry032:

Shotwell likes this.
  9. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I use my Weber PH if I shave every other day. I use a Gillette New SC if it longer between shaves. I rarely see any with my head shaves.

10. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

4.5 months later, and it's now a toss up between my Fatboy wide open and the Muhle R41 Grande.

11. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Got my best head shave so far today. Time to change the blade and I decided to throw caution to the wind. Went with a Derby blade since my wife loves them for her legs. She has told me after the last two not so good head shaves I need to try them. Amazingly enough no nicks, no irritation, just a great shave. Hmmmmmmm. Hate to tell her she was right about that.

12. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Acquired a Merkur 23c from a local I know from another forum. Used it last night and it was great. Finally felt I had the right control and ability to hit all the angles without reaching. Definitely my new "go-to" head razor. Now to figure out which blade works best. Used the Derby and it was really good. Going to try a few more.

13. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Switched to an Astra SP tonight and got better results than I've been getting. Less touch up required. So it's either the blade change or my technique is improving each time, or maybe a bit of both. Either way I'm happy to be making progress. Took less time too which is nice.

BigMark and gwsmallwood like this.
  14. gwsmallwood

Add a Shovel Head SE to the discussion too.

15. baldeez88

baldeez88 Member

I use Gillette Fusion Proglide on my head and face. It works well on my head, but not well on my face. The skin on my face is much more sensitive than the skin on my head.

16. Shotwell

Right now, my favorite razor for head shaving has to be the Standard Razor. I was skeptical at first -- my prior favorites were the '41 Ranger Tech and a vintage Grafco Kermit -- but something about the way the Standard Razor shaves really sets it apart for me.

In particular, the head of the razor seems very smooth, but the audible feedback I get is great. Also, it is the only razor I have ever used where the ends of the razor blade do not stick out. I used to nick my ears fairly often when I was first learning because the end of the blade caught it as I shaved above/behind my ear. But with the Standard Razor I don't even have to think about that.

Not sure why other modern razor manufacturers don't take the same approach to head design. It seems like a small design tweak that has a very pronounced effect on the shave.. (I get it that vintage razors had heads that were smaller... The old style blade with three holes and rounded ends isn't as long as the newer DE blades.)[/B]

17. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

I've recently switched over to a DE and my choice was the Edwin Jagger. Good razor and really awesome shaves for the dome. The only thing I'm not sure about is the weight since I have carpal tunnel in both wrists. Even at that I love the razor so far which is about a month in shaves so far.

18. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I really like my EJ89 as well and don't think it's that much, if any, heavier than a Gillette Aristocrat, which has been my go to vintage. It probably does outweigh the Merkur 23c which is my razor of choice for my head. The 23c also has a longer handle and it's a bit thinner which may make it easier on you than the 89.

txskimo likes this.
  19. Billy Goatee

Billy Goatee Well-Known Member

I really enjoy injectors for the dome.
    [​IMG]

20. gwsmallwood

On my list of things to try this year. I now have 5 DEs and 3 SEs in about 8 months of wet shaving. 1 a month isn't too bad right? I just got my first straight in a passaround, but it needs to be honed up. Haven't tried an injector yet.