To the trash bin with'em

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by subvet, Jan 7, 2015.

1. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

The Brut went into the trash bin today, stuff caused me and the wife to sneeze and made our eyes water. Next to go might be the Clubman and HBG "Bay Rum", both are strong enough to chase a skunk out of the yard.

2. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Consider this.
    One part witch hazel.
    One part vodka.
    One part aftershave.

If it's still to heavy add more of the first two ingredients.

Bristle Me likes this.
  3. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

4. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

I thought about a PIF but I only paid $2 for the Brut, cost twice that to mail it. mikewood, that "recipe" sounds interesting, does it cut the strength of the perfume significantly?

5Savages and GDCarrington like this.
  5. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Mathematically, it automatically cuts the strength of the scent by 2/3. Most folks report they find the scent of aftershaves is only 'strong' for the first hour or less. How much do you typically apply?

mikewood likes this.
  6. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I've been there before, but my poison was AV Classic. That stuff is awful.

If it doesn't work, get rid of it and move on.

Good job.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  7. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Or just this...

grey_goose-640x853.jpg

But don't mix it with the Brut. ;)

dscaver likes this.
  8. Justin Linker

Justin Linker Wetshaving belieber

It's blasphemy to throw away Clubman. I'll pay shipping if you want to send it my way

9. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

It cuts the volume by 2/3 but that doesn't necessarily mean the scent strength is diminished by 2/3. I remember when Brut 33 came out, it was advertised as being 1/3 as strong as the original Brut, it was every bit as nasty and is now what is called simply Brut. I honestly don't know why I bought it, bad memory I guess and it was only $2.

I mixed up 4 Oz. of the diluted Clubman this morning to see how it works.

10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Maybe bundle up all three - Brut, Clubman and HBG? That might make it worth the shipping cost - and/or make a great PIF I think :)

11. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

I'll be experimenting with the Clubman and HBG (Honeybee Gardens), the Brut has already gone the great landfill. If I can get the intensity down to an acceptable level from their current reek level they would be pretty good AS scents.

Darkbulb likes this.
  12. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

I like my HBG Bay rum personally.

13. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

BRUT and Clubman?
    Sounds like another 'who wants to smell like an old geezer PIF?'

The point of the PIF is the fun of it. It gives someone else a chance to try something new, or to just play a game.

Sara-s likes this.
  14. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Brut sucks for me also and I've never tried HBG Bay Rum. Which Clubman scent are you talking about?
    Original
    Virgin Island Bay Rum
    Special Reserve
    Lilac Vegetal
    I like all of them except the Special Reserve. :(
    I've found if you drink the Vodka instead of mixing it with the aftershave, it makes most any scent tolerable. :happy088:

15. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Being used to Old Spice and finding shave shops on line I bought Lucky Tiger Bay Rum, loved the scent but not very lasting, Heard about Pinaud Bay Rum and ordered 2 large bottles. Wow it had more of a cinnamon smell than bay or rum, Wife did not like it. So instead of dumping it, I got creative. Got an empty 1 Gallon milk jug, poured in 1/2 bottle of Witch Hazel, 1 sm. bottle alcohol, 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, 3/4 bottle Lucky Tiger Bay Rum, 1/4 bottle Old Spice, 2 sm. vanilla extract, 3 sm. almond extract, more witch hazel 1 tsp. crushed anise a few bay leaves shook well let set a week and i did not believe it but the wife and I like it. Even got some comments from friends, and nobody moved to the next room. P.S I Forgot, I added the 2 bottles of Pinaud Bay Rum. I get these senior moments sometimes

youngunn likes this.
  16. idvsego

idvsego Well-Known Member

PIF the lot...but I cut my clubman with Thayer's and enjoy it much more now.

17. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

The Clubman Bay Rum was a bit strong for me too, so I put my 2/ 12oz bottles in a gallon jug added 1 pt. witch hazel, 1 pt. alcohol, vanilla and almond extract some crushed anise poured in a half full bottle of Lucky Tiger Bay Rum. Surprisingly I got a pretty nice aftershave, and a lot of it. My wife likes it and my brother wants a bottle.

18. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I think that @Troy M will dispute your statement concerning the skunk!

wristwatchb, Troy M and trey06dmd like this.
  19. jwr0201

jwr0201 Active Member

+1 on the PIF. Some newbie starting out could use that stuff!