Is this salvageable/ worthwhile.

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Jasio78, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Jasio78

Jasio78 Well-Known Member

Hello straight folk.

Over the last few months as well as enjoying my de shaving, like many others, I'm intrigued and interested in the art of using a straight. For now, I'm just enjoying reading the forum, and looking at the wonderful pictures. One day I aim have a go and see if it is for me. Now, I'm quite a dedicated person when I do things, so I'm going to carry on learning and enjoying my de's, for a while before I get a bit more time to myself to do things properly. Life is pretty hectic and busy at the mo, and when I take the plunge, it will be whole heartedly.

So today, one of the older fellas I work with, a semi retired ex lighthouse keeper, who I get on very well with, came to me in my office. He said he's heard me talking about shaving and how much I seemed to enjoy it. Then he handed me an old straight and said he acquired it in the 1960's from an old serviceman. He said it was no good to him, and I might be able to do something with it.

Now. I'm not remotely interested if it's worth 5 bucks or 50. What I was wondering, is
    A) is it salvageable?
    B) if so, would it be usable, especially to learn with.
    And c) can anyone tell me anything about it.

The scales are home made, and are clearly only there to do a job. And unfortunately it has a bad chip. But other than that. No cracks or major rust etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Pretty cool. I would certainly try to salvage it as best I could

3. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

We'll need an expert opinion, like from Glen, but it looks to me like possibly the heel could be ground out to the chip. I don't know well enough if a hollow will bear that kind of alteration, though. Also, it would depend on if the rest of the edge is able to be honed down to good metal. Definitely neat to see a Wilkinson show up, since they're more known now for their DE blades. With that, I'll wait for the experts to arrive...

Jasio78 and gssixgun like this.
  4. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Probably can be gently taken back to being shave ready would have to grind the heel slightly and re-contour it to be safe and save the most steel as possible
    I doubt the scales would survive being taken apart but they are not original anyway
    It is a Wilkerson yes that Wilkerson the warranted stamp basically means "By permission of the Crown"
    The face stamp is most likely a sales outlet / supply house

[​IMG]

Jamie Mahoney likes this.
  5. Jasio78

Wilkinson Razors - "The Name on the World's Finest Blade"
    Wilkinson & Son entered the shaving market during the 1850’s when their records show customers being supplied with specially selected open razors made for them by leading London makers.
    In the early 1890’s following their design and patenting of machinery to produce the perfect hollow ground edge to a blade, Wilkinson Sword Co Ltd (Incorporated in 1889) introduced ‘The Figaro’ open razor.

These razors were supplied in four blade widths and either singly (as above), pairs, fours or seven, (one for every day of the week and etched with the day on the rounded top of the blade.)
    It was another ten years before Wilkinson patented their Safety Shaver, which was launched in 1903, winning a gold medal for excellence the following year.

This is all I can find. A blog.
    I don't know if that dates it or not.

Thank you so far for your input. I suppose the thing to do would be find a UK restorer and have it looked at in person.

@gssixgun, re shaping that heel, would it still shave ok? I suppose just a slightly shorter blade.

6. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    You want to message @Jamie Mahoney here on TSD he is on your side of the pond and knows what he is doing, you have to ask him about the steel work, I know Jamie does restores but I can not say whether he does grinding...

But Yes, I feel the razor could be made to shave again, but you can never be positive until sparks start flying :)

Jamie Mahoney and Jasio78 like this.
  7. kn4wd

kn4wd Member

yeah, I agree glen, a little shaping and I think it would be a good save. a slight smile never hurts a hollow. reshape the heel and toe a bit , kind of a torrey 136 or 137 shape.

Jasio78 likes this.
  8. Jasio78

I've just found this

http://www.maggardrazors.com/why-you-shouldnt-have-your-razor-restored/

And I'm a little perplexed.

Now my thread is about the worthiness of salvaging something, that although not overly sentimental I just thought might be a nice idea. Reading the above has made me feel a bit of a fool. I have spent plenty of hours looking at the cost of new straights and also vintage restored ones too, and am fully aware of the prices. I've found entry level TI's for around £80/$120. Don't know if that's reasonable over there. But if you don't ask, I'll never know. I was half expecting someone to say, " load of old rubbish mate, sling it in the bin".
    Reading thats made me think I was wasting all your time.

Hope not.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  9. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    We don't actually discuss prices on the open forum, one of those etiquette things...

My suggestion is to PM Jamie and ask him...

Can You ???
    Cost ???

There is a rather substantial difference between a "Custom Restore" and a "Clean Buff & Hone" in terms of cost

The Razor you showed is NOT a candidate for a "Custom Restore" however getting the heel in order cleaning it up a bit maybe tossing on a Vintage set of scales and getting her tweaked for shaving could very well be a worthwhile option..

You don't have a quote for cost so you have nothing to judge it by :)

And I spent my 2 Pence :p

Jasio78 likes this.
  10. Jasio78

Thank you. I'll give Jamie a shout.
    Depending on the answers/ results you may see it again. Maybe wearing something else.

Cheers.

gssixgun likes this.
  11. Tennessee Razor

Tennessee Razor New Member

Maggard has forgotten more about razors than most of us will every know and he is very generous with advice for beginners etc. so believe everything he says. Yes, it costs more to restore an old razor that is this bad than it is worth once restored, HOWEVER, if you learn the art yourself as so many of us have the restoration process can be a hobby. The one thing to consider is the cost of all the gear you need to do the job right, several hundred dollars as I found out to me horror. Just the honing and stropping stones to sharpen a razor are upwards of $300!

For those of us that just love old razors this becomes something of a labor of love as you can see from the pictures of the restored razors on this forum. The key is to not buy an old razor that needs extensive restoration to the blade. Replacing a handle is easy if you buy a ready made of which there are many out there.

If you want to restore an old razor that was owned by a family member you would be well advised to send it out to an experience restorer like Maggard, but if you want to learn more there are lots of tutorials on ebay. Good luck.

Jasio78 likes this.
  12. Jasio78

Thank you for your help.

It's amazing to see the wonderful work turned out by folk on here, and around the world when it comes to straights.

Initially, I was trying to work out, if it was viable to make good an old razor, or buy a new or fully functional pre owned one, when thinking about taking up straight razor shaving.

I think that's been answered.

It's an old piece of history, that one day I will possibly try and breath some life into. It will give me something to aim for maybe. I'm not going to pick up a straight just now, not until I can afford a little more time to learn properly. ( I like doing things properly).
    I'm a mechanical engineer myself, and would also love to learn the proper way to maintain and make good these tools of the trade, as well as learn how to properly use them.

13. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

Yes Brad Maggard does fine work but so do many other straight razor restorers and artisans. Glen Mercurio is one of many names that springs to mind, and to say Brad has forgotten more about razors than most of us I very much doubt that statement. There are a lot of extremely knowledgable people out there with 60 or even 70 years of aquired skill knowledge and know-how behind them. Brad Maggard is a relatively young Man and experience only comes with age.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
    HolyRollah likes this.
  14. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

I believe and agree with the other posts that this razor can be made to shave again. It will take alot of work and alot of time. I have "butterknifed" chips out in the past and found that sometimes the time and effort isn't really worth it unless there is some real sentimental value attached to the razor. There is however a certain risk when attempting these repairs.